The "Going Om" Cafe

  • JimmyJuggler
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
      Hi jugglers

      Recall that Tobias recently mentioned the "Going Om" cafe in Haji Lane?  Both Tobias and Fine hang out there a lot.  Well, a few of us (Yvonne, Yihong, and I) took up his invitation to join them at the cafe last night.

      The cafe is in a row of shophouses that lines Haji Lane.  We like the second storey living space where it feels cosy and tranquil.  Here, the high ceiling and wooden floor (no chairs, just floor cushions) makes for a good get-together spot for jugglers.  Clubs, if dropped, could be noisy for the people downstairs.

      At the front of the cafe is the one-way street and it's a space for trying out juggling or manipulation moves either with or without fire, or with lighted props.  It may not be the best place to do "intensive" toss juggling with balls and clubs or even diablos; having said that, it's ideal to stand around to juggle and chat at the same time.  Use your old props here in case of drops as the road surface could damage the surface of the props.

      Thanks to Tobias for introducing the Going Om cafe to us.  Thursday nights seem like a nice part of the week to be there.  The other Thursday night juggling session at the SMU campus underground mall is best suited for "intensive, serious" practice and it's probably a good thing to have 2 different types of places to choose.

      The other thing about the Going Om cafe is that Yvonne and I thought that this is good place to sometimes have the Friday evening juggling sessions instead of at the Esplanade underpass.  One of these Friday evenings, we could try that out.  Maybe we could reserve the entire second storey space and we could juggle, talk, drink, eat, discuss, dream, and even have performances.

      Cheers

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
        Yes that is a gem of a place! a small cafe in the middle of nowhere with a really laid back chill out backpacker's inn feel.

        the place is rather small and cosy, so it's a gd place to meet new pple too (there were a few other staff and poi swingers there last night).

        i like the analogy discussed yesterday. the esplanade is like a gym where you can focus on honing technical skills. The "Going Om" cafe is a place where you can let free your creative juices and train "the flow" and come out with performances.

        it's a really good place to bring back social juggling again, like what it was like during the youth park days. where we mingle, discuss, watch, learn and hang out. the esplanade environment has become a bit too training-intensive.

        i was thinking let's visit the Om cafe at least once a month, maybe on one friday, maybe another weekday. And then we chill out on the 2nd floor where we can perform or show new tricks to each other. (we can even turn off the lights to do some lighted performance).

        cheers,
        Yvonne

        PS: the place serves drinks and is very homely. can also bathe there. haji Lane is at bugis, just across Raffles Hospital.

        PPPS: the 2nd flr has high ceiling but it's rather small and 2 fans there so not conducive for 5 clubs kind of juggling. but it's carpetted so perfect for contact juggling. Can do more juggling along the road outside but yeah, it's ROAD surface so bye bye smooth props.

        PPS: i've been taking a break from juggling for a month now. but i think yesterday inspired me again! ;)

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
          The real truth about juggling from Laura Ernst:

          "Juggling tells you that you fail at life...for hours, and hours....(it) tells you that you're an idiot, and grabbing is better than you."

          "if you like dropping, juggling is the sport for you"

          "there are only a few advanced female jugglers in the world. i guess that's because most women would rather have a life than to practise all day, staring at the wall, training tricks that would take only seconds to perform."

          catch more words of wisdom here:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwGjoT0mpnk

          :)
        • JimmyJuggler
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
            Hi,

            That's funny cynical stuff :-) who is Laura Ernst?

            Anyways, l'll be training for a "few hours" on Sunday 6 Apr in the p.m. at the Esplanade. Join me if you wish.

            Chi Minh

            Yvonne Tan wrote:
            > The real truth about juggling from Laura Ernst:
            > "Juggling tells you that you fail at life...for hours, and hours....(it) tells you that you're an idiot, and grabbing is better than you."
            > "if you like dropping, juggling is the sport for you"
            > "there are only a few advanced female jugglers in the world. i guess that's because most women would rather have a life than to practise all day, staring at the wall, training tricks that would take only seconds to perform."
            > catch more words of wisdom here:
            > http://www.youtube com/watch? v=AwGjoT0mpnk
            > :)

          • Jolyon P Caplin
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008

              Deep stuff from Yvonne!

              Actually, based on this, I have to admit that I don't juggle.

              I dropple.

              It's still fun.

              Regards,

              Jolyon Caplin

              "Warning - This message may contain privileged/confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy it and notify the sender immediately. Singapore Polytechnic is not liable for any unauthorised dissemination, copying or use of this message."