Re: [singaporejugglers] Juggling at SMU: update

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Yo Yihong,

      can give a rough description of how to find the SMU underpass?

      i'm not familiar with the SMU campus (only know the admin building and everything else seems to be spread out everywhere).

      where's the best entry point? or if they're all the same, where's the nearest one to an mrt?

      how bout starting an SMU juggling club? :) then you'll have "official license" to be at the underpass.

      --- socksofyihong <socksofyihong@...> wrote:

      > If you guys read The Straits Times, you would know that dancers are
      > being `ejected' from SMU. Reasons given are "security and
      > well-being
      > of students". I have reason to believe that us jugglers would
      > suffer
      > the same fate. If you have been following my posts, you would know
      > that I was `ejected' from SMU last week.
      >
      > This is quite a shame as the SMU underpass is very deserted, empty
      > and
      > `dead' 99.99% of the time. I had hoped that the `foreign' talents
      > could inject some life into my school. I think we can rule out
      > juggling at SMU for the time being, unless SMU have a change of
      > heart
      > (unlikely) or you guys want to try your luck. If so, be sure to do
      > it
      > at night, in small numbers and in the empty space behind the clinic
      > (where you are least likely to be spotted).

    • Chi Minh
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        Yes, that's right...a juggling club in SMU is a grand idea!

        I hope to be an "associate member" because I've been to the campus on weekends...it's a lovely place with lots of space everywhere.

        cheers
        Chi Minh

        --- socksofyihong <socksofyihong@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > If you guys read The Straits Times, you would know that dancers are
        > being `ejected' from SMU. Reasons given are "security and
        > well-being
        > of students". I have reason to believe that us jugglers would
        > suffer
        > the same fate. If you have been following my posts, you would know
        > that I was `ejected' from SMU last week.
        >
        > This is quite a shame as the SMU underpass is very deserted, empty
        > and
        > `dead' 99.99% of the time. I had hoped that the `foreign' talents
        > could inject some life into my school. I think we can rule out
        > juggling at SMU for the time being, unless SMU have a change of
        > heart
        > (unlikely) or you guys want to try your luck. If so, be sure to do
        > it
        > at night, in small numbers and in the empty space behind the clinic
        > (where you are least likely to be spotted).

        Building a website is a piece of cake.

      • socksofyihong
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          The thought did occur to me... being the chairman of my own club.
          However, I felt that the task was too daunting.

          Firstly, if I want to form a new club, I want that club to survive me.
          I don't want that club to fall apart without me. When I saw what
          happened to NUS and NTU, it feels kind of discouraging. Quoting Yogi
          Berra, "This is like deja vu all over again".

          Secondly, I don't want the extra work. Forming a new club is alot of
          work, and I don't think I can juggle (no pun intended) forming a new
          club, cca, school work and other important stuffs I have and want to
          do. Despite the (false) advertising, SMU is not all fun and games. I
          have to mug very hard just to stay in the average percentile. There's
          a reason why SMU is called the Singapore Muggers University.

          Thirdly, I'm not the leader type. I'm more of the loner type, that's
          why I like juggling instead of other team sports. I don't know or
          don't think anyone else at SMU can juggle or unicycle. Which means I
          have to do all the work.

          Unless you all mean that I should create a phantom club to create a
          excuse to juggle at SMU. I think it's very risky (for me) to do this.

          Map to SMU
          http://www.street-directory.com/smu/island/island.php?postalcode=178901&level=5&x=29895.0874&y=30993.2037
          Note: 1. You still can go to SMU to juggle. The worse that can happen
          is that you get thrown out.
          2. The nearest MRT are City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut
          3. You can enter the underpass from any of the SMU buildings BUT not
          the admin building
          4. Be sure to do it, at night, in small numbers and behind the clinic.