World Juggling Day 07 - suggestions

    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2007
      Hey all!

      Is anything going to happen for WJD this year? (16 June 2007)

      if yes, clue me in on it! i wanna help out!
      if no/not yet, let's do something!

      To start off, let's all pool together suggestions of your (reasonably) perfect WJD party.

      -----------------------
      1. Who is interested in joining the "Singapore World Juggling Day Elite Organizing Parliamentary Committee 2007 (SWJDEOPC 07)"?

      the more the number of pple, the easier it is to do things.
      drop me a note on whether you're interested.

      For me, having a WJD show/party/concert is a way of giving something to the community. We all have an insane interest (some call it talent) in juggling/performing, let's group together and present something for the public and families out there. it's a gift from the juggling community to the public.

      it's also a fun way to celebrate WJD with the other jugglers.

      most importantly, when you organize WJD, you work with pple in the real world and learn that life stinks, which in turn prepares you for working life and you can become a CEO in 5 years.

      2. What's a good location?

      i really like clarke quay, especially now with the Read bridge space open again. it's a family and tourisy place. it's accessible. there's a nice crowd. there's the river, the open air, the party atmosphere.

      what other places do you think will be perfect? Toa payoh? east coast? parkway parade? shopping centres?
      (psst: if we hold it in the south-east, which means potong pasir/macpherson/marineparade/east coast GRCs, there's a chance of getting funding.)

      3. What's the show/party like?

      i'm thinking somewhere along the lines of the last one (of which i wasn't there so i don't know the details.) There will be banners, a sound system, lights, an emcee.

      there can be booths to sell juggling equipment/balloons/yoyos/unicycles or just to hand out namecards for the pros.

      there can be simple games and workshops for the public and also a "juggling competition" to push our technical abilities.

      the highlight for me will be the open routine section. where a variety of performers will perform a variety of acts. there can be yoyo and poi and unicyclists. there can be artsy routines and technical routines. we can have a panel of judges or audience voting.

      it'll be our very own IJA or JJF competition, where we get wow-ed by different styles and routines.

      we can also bill it as a show of singapore's top jugglers!

      ------------------------

      so send in your suggestions and volunteer and let's make something happen!

      cheers,
      Yvonne
      on behalf of the Singapore World Juggling Day Elite Organizing Parliamentary Committee 2007 (SWJDEOPC 07)
    • Lim Chee Wei Alan
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2007
        My suggestion:

        Organise like a buskers festival - performers allowed to collect
        token of appreciation from the public. It sort of show how much
        people encourage us and also act as a platform for anyone who want
        to try busking. If it turns out well some of us might even get
        contract shows!

        -Alan-

        --- In singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com, Yvonne Tan <yvotan@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey all!
        >
        > Is anything going to happen for WJD this year? (16 June 2007)
        >
        > if yes, clue me in on it! i wanna help out!
        > if no/not yet, let's do something!
        >
        > To start off, let's all pool together suggestions of your
        (reasonably) perfect WJD party.

        > -----------------------
        > 1. Who is interested in joining the "Singapore World Juggling Day
        Elite Organizing Parliamentary Committee 2007 (SWJDEOPC 07)"?

        > the more the number of pple, the easier it is to do things.
        > drop me a note on whether you're interested.
        >
        > For me, having a WJD show/party/concert is a way of giving
        something to the community. We all have an insane interest (some
        call it talent) in juggling/performing, let's group together and
        present something for the public and families out there. it's a gift
        from the juggling community to the public.

        > it's also a fun way to celebrate WJD with the other jugglers.
        >
        > most importantly, when you organize WJD, you work with pple in the
        real world and learn that life stinks, which in turn prepares you
        for working life and you can become a CEO in 5 years.

        > 2. What's a good location?
        >
        > i really like clarke quay, especially now with the Read bridge
        space open again. it's a family and tourisy place. it's accessible.
        there's a nice crowd. there's the river, the open air, the party
        atmosphere.

        > what other places do you think will be perfect? Toa payoh? east
        coast? parkway parade? shopping centres?
        > (psst: if we hold it in the south-east, which means potong
        pasir/macpherson/marineparade/east coast GRCs, there's a chance of
        getting funding.)

        > 3. What's the show/party like?
        >
        > i'm thinking somewhere along the lines of the last one (of which i
        wasn't there so i don't know the details.) There will be banners, a
        sound system, lights, an emcee.

        > there can be booths to sell juggling
        equipment/balloons/yoyos/unicycles or just to hand out namecards for
        the pros.

        > there can be simple games and workshops for the public and also
        a "juggling competition" to push our technical abilities.

        > the highlight for me will be the open routine section. where a
        variety of performers will perform a variety of acts. there can be
        yoyo and poi and unicyclists. there can be artsy routines and
        technical routines. we can have a panel of judges or audience
        voting.

        > it'll be our very own IJA or JJF competition, where we get wow-ed
        by different styles and routines.

        > we can also bill it as a show of singapore's top jugglers!
        >
        > ------------------------
        >
        > so send in your suggestions and volunteer and let's make something
        happen!

        > cheers,
        > Yvonne
        > on behalf of the Singapore World Juggling Day Elite Organizing
        Parliamentary Committee 2007 (SWJDEOPC 07)

      • socksofyihong
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2007
          Organise it like Battle of the Year.

          Have a section where all the jugglers showcase their talent, ability
          and skill. The winner is determined by a panel of judges or audience.
          The final 4 will take part in the final battle, where they take turns
          to juggle impromptu to music and try to upstage each other.

          And I would like to help out.
        • Flux Wildly
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2007
            I don't mind helping out either on that day... not sure if I'd be free
            enough to help with pre-event planning though.

            Hey Yihong,

            Fork catch is where you freeze the ball on the top of your hand right? I
            haven't seen it done continuously before though I've seen something
            similar to what I'm doing, except with alternating fork catches with
            both hands, done by Tim Kelly.

            JH

            socksofyihong wrote:

            > Organise it like Battle of the Year.
            >
            > Have a section where all the jugglers showcase their talent, ability
            > and skill. The winner is determined by a panel of judges or audience.
            > The final 4 will take part in the final battle, where they take turns
            > to juggle impromptu to music and try to upstage each other.
            >
            > And I would like to help out.

          • Chai Sheng Hau
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2007
              Someone bring a big tv / screen that can work with computer inputs.
              Others bring your laptops with tonnes of great juggling videos to share
              Then we'll all watch and then try the crazy tricks inside?
              This will be more like a gathering...

              If you wanna show off let's just juggle somewhere along orchard road,
              say outside Taka (with or without their permission).

              No collecting of money pls.
              That's illegal for those of us without licenses.

              On 5/1/07, Yvonne Tan <yvotan@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Tay Di-Hong
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2007
                Count me in. And please put me in the SWJDEOPC 07, this year I wanna be part
                of the elite.

                - Di-Hong

              • Chi Minh
                Message 7 of 16 , May 4, 2007
                  Hi Yvonne and the Singapore World Juggling Day Elite Organizing Parliamentary Committee 2007 (SWJDEOPC 07),

                  I can sponsor prizes for juggling competitions as I've done in previous WJDs.

                  Cheers

                  Jimmyjuggler
                  Reg No: 53015058A
                  See my website:
                  http://www.geocities.com/jimmyjuggler

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                    Hi all!

                    it's 3 weeks to World Juggling Day!

                    So here's the plan. For the first time in the history of the singaporejugglers, i am trying to start a record keeping book of some kind. I do remember Willie once attempted to have a video-based record-setting website and in 2004, there were similar competitions held during WJD.

                    The aim is to have continuity and to keep the records every year. The hope is that these records give us improvement goals to strive for, and we should see the standard get higher as the years go by.

                    THIS IS A CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS/COMPETITORS

                    I've put up a word document of the competitions on the yahoogroups file upload section. For convenience i've also pasted the competition details below.

                    Please look through and do the following:

                    1) Decide on the events you want to participate in and email me. (by this Friday 1 June 2007)

                    2) Give any feedback you want on the format/judging criteria etc.(suggestions on competitions for other props also welcome. i'm not knowledgable enough in other props to come up with competitive rules.)

                    I'll bring along a radio that day so the routines competition will have music accompaniment.

                    Judges/prizes to be announced later. The important thing i need now are participants. I hope all of you will join just for the fun of it, otherwise i'll sweep everything even with a 0.0001ms 4 ball mills mess!

                    Be part of history and be the very first names on our SingaporeJugglers Book of Juggling Records!

                    EMAIL ME NOW!!!!!!! BY THIS FRIDAY 1 JUNE 2007!

                    Singapore World Juggling Day 2007 � Competition Details

                    Location: Esplanade Underpass
                    Date: 16 June 200, Saturday

                    ---------------------------------------
                    Reminder:

                    The WJD competition is a celebratory fun event and should be taken in that spirit. Jugglers are nice people. There should be no finger pointing, hair pulling and cat-fighting. When there are not enough judges to strictly enforce the rules, we trust that jugglers will follow the Honest Gentlemen�s Code of Juggling Ethics.

                    Common sense states that fire should not be used in the underpass (a possibility would be to use the grass patch above ground). �Dangerous� props like poi, juggling knives, staff, and Min Jiang�s new pink afro wig should be used at discretion when there is no danger posed to anyone close by. Please keep the underpass neat and clean.

                    1) 3 Ball Endurance Competition - 4pm

                    Jugglers begin with the 3 ball cascade. Jugglers will switch patterns every 30 seconds and may not re-use patterns. In the event there is still no winner after 4 minutes, competitors will juggle the following patterns as announced by the judge in the following order:

                    (in 30 sec intervals)

                    -reverse cascade
                    -mills mess
                    -clawed cascade
                    -shower
                    -441
                    -overhead cascade
                    -one-up two-up (the �two-ups� are not vertical, they need to cross in a rainbow path manner)
                    -441 with �1� behind the back
                    -machine or factory
                    -backcrosses
                    -3 in one hand
                    -mills mess clawed

                    If at any time the competitor drops the ball or stops juggling, he/she is eliminated. Competitors are allowed a short 3 ball cascade transition between pattern changes if they are unable to switch patterns right away.

                    The last juggling person wins. In the unlikely event of a tie (both dropped at the same time), competitors involved in the tie will repeat the pattern they were doing and onwards from there until a winner can be determined.

                    *In the event there is more than one juggler who can complete the entire list of tricks, they will all be crowned winners and deservingly so.

                    **Additional tricks of added difficulty should be added in subsequent years once a juggler in any year manages to complete all the tricks in the list.

                    2) 4 Ball Endurance Competition � 4.30pm

                    Jugglers begin with the 4 ball fountain. In the event there is still no winner after 5 minutes, jugglers will switch patterns every 30 seconds and may not re-use patterns.

                    In the unlikely event of a tie (both dropped at the same time), competitors involved in the tie will repeat the pattern they were doing and onwards from there until a winner can be determined.

                    If at any time the competitor drops the ball or stops juggling, he/she is eliminated.

                    The last juggling person wins.

                    3) 5 Ball Endurance Competition � 5.00pm

                    Jugglers will compete one at a time. Each juggler is allowed 3 attempts. The best time of 3 attempts will be taken.

                    The juggler has to juggle a 5 ball cascade. If at any time he/she drops the ball or stops juggling, the stopwatch will stop timing.

                    The juggler with the longest time wins.

                    4) 4 Club Endurance Competition � 5.30pm

                    Jugglers will compete one at a time. Each juggler is allowed 3 attempts. The best time of 3 attempts will be taken.

                    The juggler has to juggle a 4 club fountain. If at any time he/she drops the club or stops juggling, the stopwatch will stop timing.

                    The juggler with the longest time wins.

                    (The last 4-club fountain endurance record, 2004:
                    ------- Robert Vancko 4 min 7 sec)

                    5) Coolest Trick / Trick Combo - 6.00pm

                    Each participant will be announced, then do his/her trick for the audience. If the participant wishes, he/she can have up to 3 attempts to perform the trick.

                    As this is meant to be a �single trick� competition, competitors should not exceed 30 seconds in presenting their tricks. Any props are allowed.

                    This is a free-for-all segment to showcase your special tricks. Diabolos, poi, devil sticks, unicycles are welcome. This is also the place to showcase pirouettes, 4 ball mills mess, 5 clubs, 7 balls, fastest cascade/shower. If you can balance a toothpick on your nose, you�re also welcome to join.

                    Winners will be judged from the amount of applause from the audience.
                    In the event of a tie, the judges will have the final say.

                    6) Routine Competition � 7.00pm

                    Each participant will be announced, then perform his/her routine for the audience.

                    There is no min/max time limit for each routine, however the general guideline is not to exceed 10 min. For participants with routines exceeding 10 min, audiences are allowed to throw paper aeroplanes at them after 10 min if the routine is too boring.

                    Any props are allowed.

                    Winners will be judged from the amount of applause from the audience.
                    In the event of a tie, the judges will have the final say.

                    JUST JOIN FOR FUN! EMAIL ME PLS BY FRIDAY 1 JUNE 2007!

                    Rgds,
                    Yvonne Tan
                    On behalf of SWJDEOPC 07
                    (50 cents to those who remember what SWJDEOPC stands for)
                  • Chai Sheng Hau
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                      Me! me! me! =D

                      I wanna take part in the all the ball endurances and the coolest trick competition.

                      Wow it's so strategic to put 441 and backcrosses early in the list for 3 balls...
                      Don't think i've done 441 before, and i'm terrible with backcrosses...
                      Time to start practising...

                      Sheng Hau

                      Date: 16 June 200, Saturday

                      ---------------------------------------
[...]

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                         mailto:nusjugglers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                         mailto:nusjugglers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Kar Leong
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                        Hey Yvonne,

                        Remember that you asked me if there were any way we could do a diabolo competition? Well, here's the ladder that I was talking about http://www.diabolotricks.com/trickladder.html

                        Date: 16 June 200, Saturday

                        ---------------------------------------

                            mailto:singaporejugglers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            mailto:singaporejugglers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 29, 2007
                          Hi Yvonne

                          I will take part !!

                          At long last I can take part after having been unable to take part as the organiser of previous WJD competitions.

                          I will do what Siyong did the last time, i.e. take part in ALL the competitions.  Woohoo!

                          Thank you for organising this.

                          For the 3-ball Endurance... Will you consider making each segment 20 seconds instead?

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 29, 2007
                            Can add a 3 clubs endurance competition?
                          • tan seebee
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 29, 2007
                              i think u guys are all so cool. i can do only do 3 ball cascade n reverse fairly well. now struggling to learn mills mess, can anyone help me? thanks

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 29, 2007
                                You don't need to rush to juggle mills mess. It's better to explore
                                simpler patterns like half-shower, and under the arm before moving on
                                to more complex ones. Or you will find yourself getting very frustrated.

                                However if you really, really want to juggle mills mess, here's a good
                                website to teach you.

                                http://didier.arlabosse.free.fr/balles/english/debmills.html
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 31, 2007
                                  Hi Seebee,

                                  not sure whether we've met before at the esplanade.

                                  the way i learnt mills mess was first to learn the over the top (which you prob know since you can do reverse cascade), and then i learnt under the arm throws.

                                  and then i did windmill (which is to do one hand always over the top, the other hand always under the arm).

                                  windmill is actually half a mills mess. so do both directions well, put them together and you have a mills mess.

                                  If you have time, pop by to join us. nothing beats having live demos and coaching.

                                  This is a conversation with Willie that spurred me on to learn mills mess years ago:

                                  ---------------------
                                  Me: i read from the national lib book that mills mess is for advance jugglers.

                                  Willie: No la! rubbish!

                                  have fun with the mess.

                                  cheers,
                                  Yvonne
                                  we're so cool that it hurts. :)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 31, 2007
                                    Willie taught me Burkes Barrage and Factory too!
                                    Amazing he learnt them just by reading and trying. :)