Re: [singaporejugglers] Juggling Workshop - 3 Balls/Clubs the Easy Way

  • Lin Minjiang
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi There!

      There are a few precious tips imparted from the Zen Masters and Juggling
      Champions (Thomas Dietz, Peter Gerber) during the workshops, which i should
      write down and dissiminate lest it gets lost in my forgetful brain.

      These tips are reiterated to the best of my knowledge, if i left any out
      or misinterpreted some, Yvonne may be able to help correct.

      Thomas Dietz: (General Practice)
      1) It is bad to continue trying a trick if you cannot get it after some
      tries. Stop, take a break, try other or simpler tricks b4 returning to it
      again.
      2) If you drop more than a 100 times in your practice session, you are
      practicing beyond your ability, practice easier tricks.
      3) It is better to have short frequent practice sessions. Thomas practices
      1/1/2 to 2 hrs each session, about 3 sessions a day spread out.
      4) If a throw goes out of position, it is good habit to shift your feet to
      recover rather than do a wild catch.
      5) Practice your learned tricks in long dwell time and short dwell time.
      6) Learning a new trick doesnt equate to practicing the trick itself more
      than others. It is important to do (point 1).

      Peter Gerber: (Clubs)
      1) Basic club tricks that helps in learning other tricks: 3 club high
      singles (or doubles), 3 club columns with flips, 3 clubs 531? (not sure).
      2) Learn backcrosses, alberts, treblas, kickups etc, first with 1 club, get
      perfect throws and catches with 1.
      3) With 3 club cascade, do single throws of the trick you are learning, left
      and right hand.
      4) Once more steady, while doing cascade, do 2 consecutive throws of the
      trick, then immediately 2 consecutive throws other side etc.

      The Jap ball masters (5 balls workshop)
      1) As warmup to the workshop, snatch and release a ball in the air
      alternating hands, as fast as possible.
      2) Practice 3 balls very high throws, long dwell time and short dwell time.
      3) Practice 5b launch, ensure your 5 balls launch is well timed, that the
      drops are in perfect succession.
      4) 3 balls grip, launch the ball gripped by your middle finger first, then
      outer , and innermost to the palm.

      The Jap ball masters (Pirquette)
      1) Turn on the ball of your foot.
      2) Keep looking at a fixed spot while turning, then snap your head around as
      you complete your turn.
      3) Before the turn rest your weight , CG on the ball of your turning foot.
      4) It helps to bring in your arm for a faster turn.

      There are still quite a bit of stuff i didnt manage to remember, and some
      are hard to put in words.
      All this is just theory, so of course its important to come for the new
      workshops as well. :) heehee

      Cheers!
      Minjiang

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        Wow, Min Jiang... you have met the gods!
        I shall commit these commandments to memory!

        kf