Re: Swiss Dream Circus - **Volunteers to set-up the Big Top**

  • meorb715
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
      Ah, 1 November -- date marked in red in my diary -- the big top goes
      up in that Bugis field. Inquiring (fevered) minds demand a report
      from the roustabouts lucky enough to be involved!

      And whoo! Boss just approved leave so I'm hoping to be back in time
      to help tear-down -- exactly when will this be, Meiling?

      Also, the circus website says last date of performance is 2 Jan, but
      the Sistic site says 1 Janusary. Anybody know the last day for
      certain? Or do they list different dates for "the public" and "those
      in the know", because the very last performance is, traditionally,
      full of pranks?

      Long live the Circus!
      TYL in the frigid wastelands of the north

      --- In singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com, "meiling" > Hey ya ALL!
      > 1) MUSCLES AND MAGIC RAISING THE BIG TOP
      > I KNOW I WILL BE THERE on TUESDAY 1 NOV from 9am onwards!
    • Mei Ling Chow
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005

        ah..... dear yeeling..

        being on the fields as the setup occurred from 9am till 7pm.. it was CRAZY! EXCITING! DUSTY! AND HELLUVA FUN!

        hahah... i must say, it was a full circle since TEARING down the Taipan circus tent in 2000! (yes! it's been FIVE YEARS!)

        from sawdusting the grounds, to watching the four main support structures rise from the ground (YES! there are less poles and complexities within the tent, and that means, more visibility of the main ring from all seats!) ... the experience--- MAGICAL!

        then it was "sewing" the pieces of PVC together that makes up the tent. Imagine GROWN men threading thick cord through ready holes on the tentage that holds it to the frame of the tent... (to the chorus of "PULL! PULL! PULL! I PULL PULL!, I VERY GOOD PULLER!" in swiss-german french accent...) and the tent is BIGGER than the last one!

        AND THEN many many poles were used to raise the rim of the tent....... and then.... drumroll...... the tent was ALIVE! i meant RAISED~! phew......

        when you see the bare, shaded ground beneath the freshly raised Circus Tent, smeared with your sweat and dust... PRICELESS!

        hahaha!! enough long stories... it's really an experience that needs to bE experienced! so! those who missed it, get ready for circus TEARDOWN next year! ;)

        Here's the extra bits:

        1) Eddy Carello is Still a charmer and a pain-in-e-ass rolled into one. HAHAHA! a barrel of laughs!

        2) There was Bruno senior, Father of Bruno junior, who has the classic curled-at-both-ends moustache who measures the HUMIDITY of Singapore by how much his moustache dROOPS!

        3) There was a RAINBOW that appeared over the site during the late morning! wohoo! lucky lucky!

        4) Marco still looks like a skinnier version of MR bean.

        5) Andre Broger will be coming to town on saturday! WITH HIS BABY!

        5) YES! the last show's on 2 JAN 2005 (as stated on the signboards put up at the site!) yupyup! to confirm what yeeling typed, the closing show in 2000 had loads of added pranks! i'm looking forward to there being more this time round too! so! i recommend catching the OPENING show, a Middle show, the CLOSING show...... and ALL ELSE IN BETWEEN!

        so in closing,

        SOME SPECIAL GUESTS MAY BE TURNING UP AT JUGGLING THIS FRIDAY... *fingers crossed!*

        mEiLiNg

        aching muscles... a satisfying kind...

        From: "meorb715" <meorb715@...>
        To: singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [singaporejugglers] Re: Swiss Dream Circus - **Volunteers to set-up the Big Top**
        Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:22:56 -0000

        Ah, 1 November -- date marked in red in my diary -- the big top goes
        up in that Bugis field. Inquiring (fevered) minds demand a report
        from the roustabouts lucky enough to be involved!

        And whoo! Boss just approved leave so I'm hoping to be back in time
        to help tear-down -- exactly when will this be, Meiling?

        Also, the circus website says last date of performance is 2 Jan, but
        the Sistic site says 1 Janusary. Anybody know the last day for
        certain? Or do they list different dates for "the public" and "those
        in the know", because the very last performance is, traditionally,
        full of pranks?

        Long live the Circus!
        TYL in the frigid wastelands of the north

        --- In singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com, "meiling" > Hey ya ALL!
        > 1) MUSCLES AND MAGIC RAISING THE BIG TOP
        > I KNOW I WILL BE THERE on TUESDAY 1 NOV from 9am onwards!

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Mei Ling Chow

          From: "meorb715" <meorb715@...>
          To: singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:22:56 -0000

          Ah, 1 November -- date marked in red in my diary -- the big top goes
          up in that Bugis field. Inquiring (fevered) minds demand a report
          from the roustabouts lucky enough to be involved!

          And whoo! Boss just approved leave so I'm hoping to be back in time
          to help tear-down -- exactly when will this be, Meiling?

          Also, the circus website says last date of performance is 2 Jan, but
          the Sistic site says 1 Janusary. Anybody know the last day for
          certain? Or do they list different dates for "the public" and "those
          in the know", because the very last performance is, traditionally,
          full of pranks?

          Long live the Circus!
          TYL in the frigid wastelands of the north

          --- In singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com, "meiling" > Hey ya ALL!
          > 1) MUSCLES AND MAGIC RAISING THE BIG TOP
          > I KNOW I WILL BE THERE on TUESDAY 1 NOV from 9am onwards!

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Lim B.T
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
            Anyone going juggling tonite?

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • DeLaCroix : )
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
              Hihi ppl,

              Exams around the corner (for the Uni students). Too bad no juggling module.

              Anyway, I think many of ya would have had come across this website:

              http://www.singaporebookofrecords.com

              Basically it's a Local version of Guiness Records. There are some unicycling
              records, but seems like there's none for juggling? How abt breaking a
              few(read:double digit figure), maybe for next year's WJD. Plenty of records
              we could have set already...

              Yihao...
              ...Random thoughts on a Sunday Nite.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                Wow! what a find!

                3 cheers to the unicyclists!

                yes and i second the call for the jugglers to set some records!

                let's aim to break the record for

                "15. Human Beings - Food Feats
                Most Number Of Smarties Eaten In Three Minutes Using Chop Sticks"

                at the next WJD!

                But since practising for that is not good for the diet, let's aim for "Most Number of Smarties Juggling 3 balls for 3 Minutes".

                I bet they'll put us jugglers under "Human Beings - Odd Talents" alongside the "Longest Yamseng".

                Let's do a "Most Number of Smarties Juggling 3 balls for 3 Minutes while shouting Yamseng!"

                the possibilities are infinite.....

                Cheers,
                Yvonne
                -off to grab the chopsticks and Smartie bag