[singaporejugglers] Re: History of juggling

  • MacZoeAshUno
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
      BEN

      some snippets of information:

      earliest record of juggling: 4000 years ago. images of "ball playing" in
      the ancient Egyptian tombs of Beni Hasan.

      Cigar Boxes: popularised by W.C. Fields in the 20th century.

      Siteswap notation: by Boppo. strings of numbers are used to represent
      specific juggling tosses, sequences and these number strings can be
      programmed into juggling simulators. without siteswaps, we would never have
      discovered the most bewildering Two-Ball Trick called 5 0 1. you learnt
      this last year; it's a shower of two balls in opposing directions.

      .....and i think Koah Fong will know the rest!

      Chi-Minh

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
        Hi Ben,

        More info at http://www.juggling.org/books/index.html
        (includes history and the lasso)
        Or check out the juggling papers at http://www.juggling.org/papers/
        (history and scientific papers)
        You'll be surprised at the load of information there.

        Well the "Flower Stick" in Chinese is called "Hua Kun".
        "The Devil Stick Book" by Todd Strong has a history section on the Devil
        Stick and Diabolo. If you are interested, I can fax them to you. Your fax
        no.?

        Cheers!

        kf

[...]

        _____

        <http://click.egroups.com/1/465/3/_/20041/_/946913222>
        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/singaporejugglers
        <http://www.egroups.com/group/singaporejugglers>
        www.egroups.com <http://www.egroups.com> - Simplifying group
        communications
      • Ben

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2000
            Thanks kf!
            My fax number is 473 4556
            Ben
            At 12:27 AM 1/4/00 +0800, you wrote:
            >Hi Ben,
            >
            >More info at http://www.juggling.org/books/index.html
            >(includes history and the lasso)
            >Or check out the juggling papers at http://www.juggling.org/papers/
            >(history and scientific papers)
            >You'll be surprised at the load of information there.
            >
            >Well the "Flower Stick" in Chinese is called "Hua Kun".
            >"The Devil Stick Book" by Todd Strong has a history section on the Devil
            >Stick and Diabolo. If you are interested, I can fax them to you. Your fax
            >no.?
            >
            >Cheers!
            >
            >kf

          • Ben