RE: [singaporejugglers] Buskers Festival

  • Chai Sheng Hau
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2004
      hi all...

      I caught Kicking the Moon last sunday, and i think their contact juggling is
      quite good, and they have pretty good teamwork. As for Alan Star, his acts
      have become smoother since his last visit here in 2001 as Flaming Butterflies,
      together with Caron Mason. He used slower music this time so the routine is
      not as powerful. Oh and he didn't use more expensive sparklers, so that part
      of the performance not so nice. The organisers should've brought in Caron
      Mason as well. Her staff performance is pretty impressive too.
      Visit http://homepage.mac.com/thebutterflies/index.htm for some of their
      videos.

      How's everyone? I haven't been to Esplanade for quite some time. And i heard
      from my dancer friend that the citylink management no longer allows performers
      to hang around the underpass, is it true? I've been juggling in my camp, and
      i'm working on 5 ball tricks now. And also still trying to qualify 7, almost
      got it yesterday, so close... hehe...

      Sheng Hau

      --- Tze Yeong Pang <k_8243174@...> wrote:

      > Hi pple... a short review of the buskers' festival i have caught so far...
      >
      > aaron greg : plenty of juggling... especially torch juggling...
      > tricks r quite technical so good if u like to see tough tricks... nice
      > Diabolo routine included!
      >
      > UCO show: contortionist and cube spinner... entertaining but nothing much
      > related to juggling
      >
      > vincent dube: the most humourous show i have seen so far... very good act,
      > playing drums while bounce juggling... highly recommended
      >
      > Alan star: MY FAVE SHOW SO FAR... plenty of fire in his show... with highly
      > skilled poi and DUAL stave moves... MUST SEE! nice guy too... managed to get
      >
      > some tips from him regarding dual stave
      >
      > Jeff hill: street magician... with fire eating, ring tricks and escape from
      > straight jacket... but personally i dun have a thing for magic
      >
      > J-P: nice tricks with his Bull whipping and Axe juggling... but this Aussie
      > talks WAY too much... with a rather incomprehendable accent
      >
      > ok thats it... will be catching a few more performance in the next
      > few days... then will spend the rest of the holidays practising...
      > happy juggling!
      >
      > cheers,
      > siyong
      >
      > >From: Chi Minh <jimmyjuggler@...>
      > >To: singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [singaporejugglers] Buskers Festival
      > >Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:35:23 -0800 (PST)
      > >
      > >Hi all!
      > >
      > >Has anyone caught any of the shows over the last 3 days?
      > >Whats worth watching with respect to juggling and/or
      > >entertainment value?
      > >
      > >Any personal synopses and opinions of what youve seen would
      > >be great for discussion.
      > >
      > >cheers!
      > >Chi Minh
      > >JimmyJuggler
      > >

      > >=====
      > >Chi Minh
      > >Jimmyjuggler
      > >Reg No: 53015058A
      > >Skype contact: jimmyjuggler
      > >See my website: http://www.geocities.com/jimmyjuggler

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Ben Toh
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2004
        my two cents...

        caught Alan Star last Wed night at 9:30pm.
        very dissappointed actually.
        He performed fire poi, double fire staff, fire rope-poi and lastly, double
        staff with sparkler.

        his poi moves aren't very smooth and his repetoir is very limited. He keeps
        repeating the same thing over and over again, plus his choreography to the
        music is jerky and out of time. And gosh! there's no behind the back
        tricks! I don't know about the staff part, but i dare say i can play poi
        better than he can.

        His staff routine does not involve throws or contact. It's just twirling at
        very high speed. And once again, it's the same moves over and over again.
        Perhaps it's his style, but every move he makes he'll repeat on his other
        side, and then again on both sides! It gets very monotonous after a while.

        Overall, his routine for poi/rope-poi and staff/staff w sparklers are so
        similar i think they're actually identical! It's just different light
        effects from the use of a different wick. He tried to impress with
        quantity(fire) but there's no quality moves at all. The festival will do
        better if they had invited fire-twirlers from Thailand, Phi Phi Island or
        Pranang instead!

        check out better fire-twirling videos from the below site,
        http://www.thevenue.org/firespinning_videos.htm
        www.poiinthepark.com (need to register to download videos)

        enjoy the last night of busking!
        cheers
        Ben

> [...]

        > J-P: nice tricks with his Bull whipping and Axe juggling... but this
        Aussie
        > talks WAY too much... with a rather incomprehendable accent
        >
        > ok thats it... will be catching a few more performance in the next
        > few days... then will spend the rest of the holidays practising...
        > happy juggling!
        >
        > cheers,
        > siyong
        >
        > >From: Chi Minh <jimmyjuggler@...>
        > >To: singaporejugglers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [singaporejugglers] Buskers Festival
        > >Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:35:23 -0800 (PST)
        > >
        > >Hi all!
        > >
        > >Has anyone caught any of the shows over the last 3 days?
        > >Whats worth watching with respect to juggling and/or
        > >entertainment value?
        > >
        > >Any personal synopses and opinions of what youve seen would

      • Tze Yeong Pang
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2004
          hahah... well alan star's show is the 1st full fire show i have seen...
          so i would still say that i enjoyed it!
          hmm... btw anyone knows how he did the 'Firewall' thingy which he does b4 he
          he starts his staves routine? he kind of threw his staff up and there is
          this nice afterburn
          anyway here r somemore reviews:

          rob zeizer: slient mime cum juggler... very good with his funny
          expressions... though there is this rather dull section where he ask kids up
          on stage to spin plates... nice tricks with his cups and spoons

          daredevil chicken club: er... only watch this if u like lame jokes... or a
          big guy in a small frill dress

          rite... thats all 4 now... anyone seen pedro tochas or the cloghoppers?

          cheers,
          siyong

          Fast. Clear. Easy. The new face of MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 21, 2004
            Hi Ben,

            I thought Alan's show was quite good. Maybe I don't play poi so I can enjoy it more. :)
            As his poi patterns are crafted to music. So maybe he wants to limit to "safer" manipulations?

            Ben: You may like to contact Jimmy Wong of Gwyndara International to perform in next year's Buskers Festival. I met him at one of the busking shows and he pestered us to put up something for the festival. He's been organising this festival for 8 years already and so far we only have Ben Matthews and Jon Heron doing it once a few years back. His contact is found at the website http://www.singapore-buskers.com

          • Chi Minh
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 21, 2004
              If memory serves me correctly, I think Roy Payamal did it before too.

              cheers,
              chi minh

              Loh Koah Fong <kfloh@...> wrote:
              Hi Ben,

              I thought Alan's show was quite good. Maybe I don't play poi so I can enjoy it more. :)
              As his poi patterns are crafted to music. So maybe he wants to limit to "safer" manipulations?

              Ben: You may like to contact Jimmy Wong of Gwyndara International to perform in next year's Buskers Festival. I met him at one of the busking shows and he pestered us to put up something for the festival. He's been organising this festival for 8 years already and so far we only have Ben Matthews and Jon Heron doing it once a few years back. His contact is found at the website http://www.singapore-buskers.com

              Jimmyjuggler
              Reg No: 53015058A
              Skype contact: jimmyjuggler
              See my website: http://www.geocities.com/jimmyjuggler