Re: Buskers Fest - what i saw on Sunday

  • therealstormcloud
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2002
      Absolutely agree, the acts this year are great! I was going to watch some more tonight (Monday) but the rain has put me off. However I'm going to watch on Wednesday, either at Merlion Park or the Esplanade outdoor theatre. If anyone else is going on Wednesday, SMS/phone me and we can meet up.

      Chi Minh's email has spurred me on to tell you all about what I saw on Saturday at the UE Square venue:

      Mr. Taxi Trix
      -------------

      I only caught the second half of his act, unfortunately. When I arrived he had an audience member (a child of course!) on his shoulders and was swinging him around in a rather dangerous-looking (but no doubt very safe!) manner! He continued by making a double-helix balloon sculpture, juggling clubs while playing the harmonica riding on a _very_ high unicycle, and lots of jokes!

      Jewels
      ------

      This lady is one of only four female sword swallowers in the world. (Anyone want to be the fifth? Hui Fang? Mei Ling? Winnie?) She basically does two tricks, the sword-swallowing and escaping from a straight jacket. Although there are only two sections to her act, she adds lots of humour (especially when getting audience members to tie her up in the straight jacket!) and it's certainly impressive to watch her extricate herself from the jacket.

      Pyromancer
      ----------

      Pyromancer's act contains a _lot_ of fire! He "pois" with burning ropes, plays with burning "swinging clubs", and a _lot_ of fire-breathing! One word of warning: do not start chatting on your mobile phone during his act, he'll take it away from you and then make sure that you become part of the act somehow! The poi-ing and club-swinging is certainly graceful -- look out for the parts where he swings both ropes _within_ his outstretched arms, making a circle of fire right next to his body.

      Edo-Daikagura Senji & Senmaru Kagami
      ------------------------------------

      These two japanese men do some rather fine balancing (multiple teacups, blocks of wood, balls, etc), some unbrella-spinning (which is something I've never seen before -- spinning balls, cups etc on top of paper umbrellas), and a few other tricks mainly involving balancing and/or spinning objects of one kind or another. I particularly liked the "grand finale" which involved teacups spraying water much like a fountain. It's a rather more restrained show that draws you in through the gentle beauty of what they're doing rather than through extroverted audience participation, and it's well worth seeing.

      Adrian
    • NewtonCircus
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2002
        wowee zowee, sounds excellent. am itching to go check it out myself but
        only free on thursday.

        btw, for those who weren't around at the youth park last friday, we were
        'visited' by some of the busker guys -- i believe it was Brendan The
        Pretty Good and Alakazam (i forgot what his real name was), and another
        guy whose name i didnt get, who kept saying he wasnt a juggler (but could
        pass clubs with Brendan). i'm not sure if they knew we had a juggler's
        meet there or just 'happened to be passing by' ...

        trick of the day was brendan juggling two clubs and a skateboard. OKAY so
        it's not as hard as five clubs but it looks pretty good ...

        this is not to mention the cirque du monde chap who came by earlier too...

        julian

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com