Simputer: name is not appropriate

  • Srinath S
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2000
      Hi,
      I was speaking to a friend about how if I can get myself onto an
      academic/research job I can try and experiment with the simputer,
      some ideas on the proliferation of computers in India.

      But I got a reaction that it is better to work on something "real"
      and not "simple" (read trivial) things like the simputer.

      I think the name simputer is not appropriate. Also its introduction
      that it is meant for "the weaker sections of society" is a major put
      off in people adopting to the concept. It seems to say that it is a
      project of charity, and anyone using it is in some way part of
      that "weaker section."

      The simputer is quite complex actually. It is more powerful than a
      palmtop, much more general purpose and much cheaper. One could well
      think of a simputer being marketed in the west for say $500 a piece.
      And this would be about three times the market price in India. Also,
      the simputer manufacturer has to have a lot of design principles to
      be incorporated into it. A typical manufacturer of a cell phone or a
      palm top can afford to assume the existence of complementary
      technologies like bandwidth, service centers, GSMs, etc. But a
      simputer manufacturer cannot afford to do so. In fact, I believe that
      as the simputer project takes off it invariable would require more
      and more sophistication. One could well think of a simputer being
      used as an email client in some village. Well it has linux and
      anything is possible!

      Please let me know what you think of the points raised here. Don't
      you think it is necessary to shake off the philanthrophic picture
      that essentially puts a halo over the heads of the project? I believe
      a phianthrophic picture attracts the wrong kind of publicity -- one
      that would start out well, but lose steam midway and refuse to scale.
      Instead, it would be better to just say, simputer is India's answer
      to the palmtop or something like that. And encourage the development
      of complementary technologies for its proliferation in India.

      Looking forward to your reply,
      Srinath
    • amit.bansal@riverrun.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2000
        Hi
        I agree with Srinath on the "positioning" related issues with
        Simputer. I believe that it is high time that some thought is also
        given to the road map of this product and the market segments that it
        will finally address.
        In the meanwhile, if someone could provide a feature comparison of
        Simputer with Palm and Pocket PC, it will provide a clearer picture
        of
        its applicability in various personal and enterprise applications.
        Looking forward to contributions in this regard.

        Thanks,