Telugu, not Tamil

  • Optimistix
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi,
      This is just to inform that the languages supported by Dhvani
      right now are Hindi, Kannada and Telugu - Tamil isn't supported
      yet, though in due of course of time it should be.

      Yours,
      Rileen
      Squint a bit - there's a silver lining somewhere :-) :-)
      Rileen
      Speech Recognition & Synthesis Experimenter
      Perceptual Computing Laboratory | Hostel address :
      Dept of Computer Science & Automation | PD 213,Students' hostel,
      Lab Phone : 3602095 | Hostel Phone : 3092559
      Indian Institute of Science
      Bangalore - 560012

      Other mail ids : rileen@{yahoo,indya,rediffmail}.com,
      rileens@...
    • Optimistix
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        ....... and can be downloaded from http://www.simputer.org

        An update is to be released soon.
        Yours,
        Rileen
        Squint a bit - there's a silver lining somewhere :-) :-)
        Rileen
        Speech Recognition & Synthesis Experimenter
        Perceptual Computing Laboratory | Hostel address :
        Dept of Computer Science & Automation | PD 213,Students' hostel,
        Lab Phone : 3602095 | Hostel Phone : 3092559
        Indian Institute of Science
        Bangalore - 560012

        Other mail ids : rileen@{yahoo,indya,rediffmail}.com,
        rileens@...
      • Prasad Chaturvedula
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
          Greetings friends,
                 I am a new member of the list. I am a visually impaited person and am interested in the speech aspects of the simputer. I was wondering which speech engines are being used in the simputer to get TTS in local languages. As far as I know there is no fully functional TTS in any Indian Languages. IIT Madras had done some work on local TTS, using the Mbrola Speech engine, but it too is not a fully functional TTS. Please correct me if I am wrong. Can anybody provide more info on this? Thank you.

          Prasad

        • Ravi Shankar Desiraju
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
            Prasad,

            My understanding is that the speech engine being used
            in the Simputer now is called Dhvani and was developed
            at IISc.Current support is for Hindi, Tamil and
            Kannada amongst Indian languages. Do not know the
            extent of support or vocabulary limitations, if any

            rgds
            --- Prasad Chaturvedula <popra_31@...> wrote:
            > Greetings friends,
            > I am a new member of the list. I am a
            > visually impaited person and am interested in the
            > speech aspects of the simputer. I was wondering
            > which speech engines are being used in the simputer
            > to get TTS in local languages. As far as I know
            > there is no fully functional TTS in any Indian
            > Languages. IIT Madras had done some work on local
            > TTS, using the Mbrola Speech engine, but it too is
            > not a fully functional TTS. Please correct me if I
            > am wrong. Can anybody provide more info on this?
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Prasad

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • Prasad Chaturvedula
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
              Hi Ravi and Rileen,
                        Thanks for the info. Is Dhvani a proprietary product of IISC or is it free. I just wanted to try it out on my linux box to guage the quality of speech.

              Prasad