Re: [Simply Computers] Sound Card problems...(No Sound)

  • David Ron
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      First, this isn't at all off-topic, so I removed the OT part of the subject.
      Second, do you have a sound blaster AWE 64? It's a really nice card
      that doesn't come with a lot of computers as far as I know (it's an
      after-market add-on).
      Have you tried a google search for "missing volume control"?

      *http://tinyurl.com/ag2wu*

      --TwinkieStix

      Edward A, Black, Sr. wrote:

      > I am hoping someone here has some ideas.
      >
      > In my computer [Pentium 150MHz?, motherboard is MB-8500TVX-A [Biostar?],
      > 64M RAM; Windows 98se] I installed a Creative AWE64 type of ISA sound
      > card.
      >
      > I go to the Device Manager [Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Device
      > Manager] and in 'View by Type' I find 'Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16
      > ciompatable)', 'Creative AWE64 Wave Table MIDI (AWE32 compatable)', &
      > 'Creative Gameport Joystick'. These same 3 items are also located in
      > 'View by Connection' in 'Plug and Play BIOS'>'PCI BIOS'>'Intel 823713B
      > PCI'>'ISA Bridge'
      >
      > In either place, they look normal. I also tried updateing drivers, but
      > was told that drivers for these 3 items were most up to date.
      >
      > But [1] the little speaker in the System Tray in lower right corner is
      > missing and [2] when I try and play any sound files [.wav, or such]
      > using Winamp, or other sound program, or my Callwave messages, I am told
      > that in effect I have no sound card.
      >
      > I have tried removing the [Creative sound card] items from with in the
      > Device Manager and restarting the computer and letting Windows locate
      > the sound card, which it does, and I get no change. I find that the
      > sound card is functioning 'normally', but the little speaker is missing
      > from the System Tray and my sound programs [Real Player, Windamp] cannot
      > find it.
      >
      > I have tried all I can think of. I am hopful for some iteas on [1] how
      > to get that little speaker back in the System Tray and [2] be able to
      > get my sound back.
      >
      > I have tried to provide any tech info that may help.
      >
      > Thank you again for any help.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Edward, Sr.

    • Grump
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        I've had a similar problem which occurred after a windows driver update.
        In control panel, "sounds & audio devices" under the volume tab you should
        have a check box to show your speaker near the clock.
        Then, by checking out all the advanced audio options I found a "mute" tab
        had been checked which then restored my sound.
        Grump.

        Edward A, Black, Sr. wrote:

        > I am hoping someone here has some ideas.
        >
        > In my computer [Pentium 150MHz?, motherboard is MB-8500TVX-A [Biostar?],
        > 64M RAM; Windows 98se] I installed a Creative AWE64 type of ISA sound
        > card.
        >
        > I go to the Device Manager [Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Device
        > Manager] and in 'View by Type' I find 'Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16
        > ciompatable)', 'Creative AWE64 Wave Table MIDI (AWE32 compatable)', &
        > 'Creative Gameport Joystick'. These same 3 items are also located in
        > 'View by Connection' in 'Plug and Play BIOS'>'PCI BIOS'>'Intel 823713B
        > PCI'>'ISA Bridge'
        >
        > In either place, they look normal. I also tried updateing drivers, but
        > was told that drivers for these 3 items were most up to date.
        >
        > But [1] the little speaker in the System Tray in lower right corner is
        > missing and [2] when I try and play any sound files [.wav, or such]
        > using Winamp, or other sound program, or my Callwave messages, I am told
        > that in effect I have no sound card.
        >
        > I have tried removing the [Creative sound card] items from with in the
        > Device Manager and restarting the computer and letting Windows locate
        > the sound card, which it does, and I get no change. I find that the
        > sound card is functioning 'normally', but the little speaker is missing
        > from the System Tray and my sound programs [Real Player, Windamp] cannot
        > find it.
        >
        > I have tried all I can think of. I am hopful for some iteas on [1] how
        > to get that little speaker back in the System Tray and [2] be able to
        > get my sound back.
        >
        > I have tried to provide any tech info that may help.
        >
        > Thank you again for any help.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Edward, Sr.

        Yahoo! Groups Links