Re: [Simply Computers] Linux & XP install

  • X_Ray_Wa
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      G'day
      Do you want to install Linux on a partition or do you want
      to install it in VM Ware

      If you want to create a partition then linux will do it all
      with duel boot or you can use Boot magic.

      If you want to do it in VM Ware
      then you just do it within that program and it will create a file and thats
      the partition

      Regards

      At 12:24 PM 1/12/2004, you wrote:
      >I would like to install Fedora or Mandrake on my laptop with XP (Toshiba
      >1950-740, P4 2.2Ghz, 512Ram, HD 60GB, nVidia GF440Go 32MB Ram, XP-P SP2 NTFS)
      >is Boot magic ok for this or does linux come bundled with these tools ?
      >whats the recomended file system ?
      >will linux run on a system thats been formatted for NTFS ?
      >I plan to use VM Ware for those apps I cant live with out namely Protel
      >DXP and SolidWorks... are there any known issues with various CAD packages
      >or should I expect this to run smoothly ?
      >my general feeling is that there is no need to run AV from what I have
      >read so far ... any comments on this approach .
    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        my plan was or is a new partition and a fresh install of linux and xp but that may change, then install VM ware under Linux so as I can run some of the Windows XP Programs.

        if I understand this correctly .... under windows install VM Ware, has this then automatically created another partition ? and I can then Boot to this Partition to install linux or is this just crank up linux within the VM Ware environment.

        I didn't want to have to install any more than I have to get this up and running, if Linux can create a bootable partition and its user friendly that would be nice

        Onya Blue !
        Thomas

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          Vmware comes in different flavours
          You can get a Windows version and it will run in Windows and you
          can install most operating system within a window or full screen
          You can also get a Linux version of Vmware that will run windows
          or another Linux installation in linux.

          Vmware doesn't create any partitions as it will create a large file
          on your harddrive and this file within Vmware will look like a partition

          Vmware is good as you can reboot a operating system "emulate" from within a
          Window

          With Vmware when you run it will ask you what operating system
          then you select that and then it will ask you for the size of the file
          that will simulate a partition then you do what you normally do to install
          a operating system so it will look for a floppy disk or a bootable cd

          Vmware wont change any partition on your hard drive

          If you want to install Linux on a partition then you will make
          your hard drive partition smaller to create a new partition.
          Linux will do this during your install or you can use a third party
          program like Partition magic.
          doing the wrong thing here you can loose everything on your hard drive
          I believe Suse Linux is a lot easier to do this

          During in linux installation it will ask you where to save the duel boot
          and if you save it on where the first partition then you will get duel boot
          if you save it on the linux partition then you need a third party program,
          to duel boot like "Boot Magic"

          Regards

          Ray