Windows Media Player problem

  • dmspope
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi

      I recently downloaded Windows Media Player 10 but for some reason it
      wont work on my Pc and I cant play audio. I want to erase it and go
      back to Windows Media Player 9 which I was perfectly happy with but
      it wont let me.

      Windows Media Player was pre-installed on my pc when I bought it.

      Can anybody help with this ? Ive got Windows XP

      Thank you

      David
    • computerdude14
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
        I would recommend that you uninstall the service pack 2, as it has a
        lot of crappy so-called "advancements" in windows that its just a
        pain in the arse to deal with. after you uninstall the 2nd service
        pack, then you might need to go to the microsoft website and
        download the media player 9 and go from there. just make sure that
        you dont allow your computer to automatically download and install
        that service pack 2 again, otherwise you will probably run into the
        same issues again. hope this helps.

        mike

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "dmspope" <dmspope@h...>
        wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I recently downloaded Windows Media Player 10 but for some reason
        it
        > wont work on my Pc and I cant play audio. I want to erase it and
        go
        > back to Windows Media Player 9 which I was perfectly happy with
        but
        > it wont let me.
        >
        > Windows Media Player was pre-installed on my pc when I bought it.
        >
        > Can anybody help with this ? Ive got Windows XP
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > David
      • Joshper
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
          Would this be what you are seeking?
          http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx

          dmspope wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I recently downloaded Windows Media Player 10 but for some reason it
          > wont work on my Pc and I cant play audio. I want to erase it and go
          > back to Windows Media Player 9 which I was perfectly happy with but
          > it wont let me.
          >
          > Windows Media Player was pre-installed on my pc when I bought it.
          >
          > Can anybody help with this ? Ive got Windows XP
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > David

        • David Ron
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
            This is horrible advice. SP2 includes security fixes and features that
            not only help the person who installs it, but helps the entire internet
            using community. Please name one reputable source that agrees with you.

            --TwinkieStix

            computerdude14 wrote:

            > I would recommend that you uninstall the service pack 2, as it has a
            > lot of crappy so-called "advancements" in windows that its just a
            > pain in the arse to deal with. after you uninstall the 2nd service
            > pack, then you might need to go to the microsoft website and
            > download the media player 9 and go from there. just make sure that
            > you dont allow your computer to automatically download and install
            > that service pack 2 again, otherwise you will probably run into the
            > same issues again. hope this helps.
            >
            > mike
            >
            > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "dmspope" <dmspope@h...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > I recently downloaded Windows Media Player 10 but for some reason
            > it
            > > wont work on my Pc and I cant play audio. I want to erase it and
            > go
            > > back to Windows Media Player 9 which I was perfectly happy with
            > but
            > > it wont let me.
            > >
            > > Windows Media Player was pre-installed on my pc when I bought it.
            > >
            > > Can anybody help with this ? Ive got Windows XP
            > >
            > > Thank you
            > >
            > > David
            >

            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12990kakl/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705115386:HM/EXP=1099403036/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ipg6fs3/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099316636323665>
            >

            > Get unlimited calls to
            >
            > U.S./Canada
            >
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12990kakl/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705115386:HM/EXP=1099403036/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ipg6fs3/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099316636323665>

          • Beth Flowers
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
              I disagree with this assertion as there are many instances where SP 2
              has caused problems. Average everyday users have had SP 2 completely
              render their computer useless requiring a system restore or
              reformatting. I base this on my own experience ( I had to uninstall SP
              2 to get my network running correctly again), and others from other user
              groups. I do NOT post this to start a flame war. Rather, I post it
              because it comes from experience of having installed the new service
              pack and reading others experience of it. SP 2 is the not the magic
              wand that Microsoft would like it to be. Yes, it does improve some
              things in windows, but as a whole, it creates too many problems rather
              than being an enhancement.

              Just my opinion.........if you disagree.....that's your choice.

              Beth's Geek Husband

              David Ron wrote:

              > This is horrible advice. SP2 includes security fixes and features that
              > not only help the person who installs it, but helps the entire internet
              > using community. Please name one reputable source that agrees with you.
              >
              > --TwinkieStix
              >

              > computerdude14 wrote:
              >

              > > I would recommend that you uninstall the service pack 2, as it has a
              > > lot of crappy so-called "advancements" in windows that its just a
              > > pain in the arse to deal with. after you uninstall the 2nd service
              > > pack, then you might need to go to the microsoft website and
              > > download the media player 9 and go from there. just make sure that
              > > you dont allow your computer to automatically download and install
              > > that service pack 2 again, otherwise you will probably run into the
              > > same issues again. hope this helps.

            • Ace Hung
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
                I agree. many people are not installing Win XP SP2, yet. If one
                cannot uninstall IE 6, MPlayer 10 etc what type of OS is that???

                Hung

                On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:42:57 -0600, Beth Flowers
                <beth@...> wrote:

                > I disagree with this assertion as there are many instances where SP 2
                > has caused problems. Average everyday users have had SP 2 completely
                > render their computer useless requiring a system restore or
                > reformatting. I base this on my own experience ( I had to uninstall SP
                > 2 to get my network running correctly again), and others from other user
                > groups. I do NOT post this to start a flame war. Rather, I post it
                > because it comes from experience of having installed the new service
                > pack and reading others experience of it. SP 2 is the not the magic
                > wand that Microsoft would like it to be. Yes, it does improve some
                > things in windows, but as a whole, it creates too many problems rather
                > than being an enhancement.
                >
                > Just my opinion.........if you disagree.....that's your choice.
                >
                > Beth's Geek Husband
                >

                > David Ron wrote:
                >
                > > This is horrible advice. SP2 includes security fixes and features that
                > > not only help the person who installs it, but helps the entire internet
                > > using community. Please name one reputable source that agrees with you.
                > >
                > > --TwinkieStix
                > >

                > > computerdude14 wrote:
                > >

                > > > I would recommend that you uninstall the service pack 2, as it has a
                > > > lot of crappy so-called "advancements" in windows that its just a
                > > > pain in the arse to deal with. after you uninstall the 2nd service
                > > > pack, then you might need to go to the microsoft website and
                > > > download the media player 9 and go from there. just make sure that
                > > > you dont allow your computer to automatically download and install
                > > > that service pack 2 again, otherwise you will probably run into the
                > > > same issues again. hope this helps.

              • ibnu qoyyim
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
                  I've installed Media player 10 Beta in my PC. When i want to back to my previous version (media player 9), i just go to control panel, select Add Remove Program, select Media player 10 Beta from list, then click change/remove buttons. after you click this buttons, a message dialog will appears, asking you to go back to previous version, just answer yes.

                  hope this will help you....

                  Regards,

                  Ibnu Eljauziah

                  computerdude14 wrote:

                  > I would recommend that you uninstall the service pack 2, as it has a
                  > lot of crappy so-called "advancements" in windows that its just a
                  > pain in the arse to deal with. after you uninstall the 2nd service
                  > pack, then you might need to go to the microsoft website and
                  > download the media player 9 and go from there. just make sure that
                  > you dont allow your computer to automatically download and install
                  > that service pack 2 again, otherwise you will probably run into the
                  > same issues again. hope this helps.
                  >
                  > mike
                  >
                  > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "dmspope" <dmspope@h...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi
                  > >
                  > > I recently downloaded Windows Media Player 10 but for some reason
                  > it
                  > > wont work on my Pc and I cant play audio. I want to erase it and
                  > go
                  > > back to Windows Media Player 9 which I was perfectly happy with
                  > but
                  > > it wont let me.
                  > >
                  > > Windows Media Player was pre-installed on my pc when I bought it.
                  > >
                  > > Can anybody help with this ? Ive got Windows XP
                  > >
                  > > Thank you
                  > >
                  > > David
                  >

                  > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12990kakl/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705115386:HM/EXP=1099403036/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ipg6fs3/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099316636323665>
                  >

                  > Get unlimited calls to
                  >
                  > U.S./Canada
                  >
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12990kakl/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705115386:HM/EXP=1099403036/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ipg6fs3/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099316636323665>

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • David Ron
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
                    I argue that the majority of the users with problems have had some form
                    of virus or spyware prior to the upgrade. If users simple run adaware,
                    spybot, and AVG (all free tools) before doing the upgrade, then there
                    should be very few problems if any. It's extremely important for
                    everybody (even non windows users) that as many windows users as
                    possible get on XP-SP2 as quickly as they can.

                    Virus infected traffic makes up a huge amount of the overall traffic on
                    the internet, and in order to support this bandwidth, ISPs are sticking
                    us all with higher fees.

                    --TwinkieStix

                    Beth Flowers wrote:

                    > I disagree with this assertion as there are many instances where SP 2
                    > has caused problems. Average everyday users have had SP 2 completely
                    > render their computer useless requiring a system restore or
                    > reformatting. I base this on my own experience ( I had to uninstall SP
                    > 2 to get my network running correctly again), and others from other user
                    > groups. I do NOT post this to start a flame war. Rather, I post it
                    > because it comes from experience of having installed the new service
                    > pack and reading others experience of it. SP 2 is the not the magic
                    > wand that Microsoft would like it to be. Yes, it does improve some
                    > things in windows, but as a whole, it creates too many problems rather
                    > than being an enhancement.
                    >
                    > Just my opinion.........if you disagree.....that's your choice.
                    >
                    > Beth's Geek Husband
                    >
                    > David Ron wrote:
                    >
                    > > This is horrible advice. SP2 includes security fixes and features that
                    > > not only help the person who installs it, but helps the entire internet
                    > > using community. Please name one reputable source that agrees with you.
                    > >
                    > > --TwinkieStix
                    > >

                    > > computerdude14 wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > I would recommend that you uninstall the service pack 2, as it has a
                    > > > lot of crappy so-called "advancements" in windows that its just a
                    > > > pain in the arse to deal with. after you uninstall the 2nd service
                    > > > pack, then you might need to go to the microsoft website and
                    > > > download the media player 9 and go from there. just make sure that
                    > > > you dont allow your computer to automatically download and install
                    > > > that service pack 2 again, otherwise you will probably run into the
                    > > > same issues again. hope this helps.
                    >

                    > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                    > click here
                    > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129trs9o6/M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=groups/S=1705115386:HM/EXP=1099450091/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

                  • Tom A.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
                      I just completed about 20-25 upgrades to SP2 and encountered two
                      problems. In one case an app died, and in the other case it was a
                      laptop that bit the dust: BSOD, continuous reboots, the whole nine
                      yards. Another guy at the office, who is extremely knowledgeable, had
                      to reformat his drive from scratch due to SP2. So, from my direct
                      experience, though admittedly not based on a scientific sample, there
                      are strong empirical arguments to be made on both sides.