dvi output question

  • bpsowers
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003
      ok i have a samsung lcd projection tv with dvi input my video card on
      pc is a nvidia geforce fx5200 everything has been working good
      i came home the other day watched some tv then changed input
      selection to dvi on tv just like i always do and now it says no
      signal ?? well i unhooked everything tv and pc turned everything off
      and unpluged from wall let set for 15 min or so to let everything
      disacharge hooked it all back up and still the same thing tried
      getting updated drivers direct x everything is up to date
      my s video out works on tv my analog out to monitor works and i have
      a changeover dvi to vga so i tried that to make sure it was not the
      video card and it also worked fine on monitor just dont want to spend
      another 80 dollars on a male/ male dvi cord or would it be better to
      use a vga hookup wich the tv has also the only yhing i have installed
      lately on pc is a new game called call of duty it did act a little
      strange the first time playing it cause for some reason the max rez i
      used to get on tv was 800/600 and the game i had to start in safe
      mode and set to 640/480 in oreder to get it to work said something
      bout an open gl error but it worked fine for 2 days played great and
      now i have no pic on tv at all very strange any help would be great
    • b welkin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003
        Hi,

        You have to go through this process to find
        out what has failed but I personally do not
        suspect driver failure when a client reports
        a failure such as yours.

        Firstly, it would be good to know if the DVI
        input on the projector is still good. For
        this you will need another DVI source such
        as another computer. But it MUST be a known
        good source. You will also need to have a known
        good source-to-monitor cable.

        If the projector passes the above test, next
        substitute the original cable for the just-used
        known good cable BUT still use the known good
        source. Do the same with any in line "change-overs".

        Still passes? Then it is not your projector or cable, etc.
        Go for the video card. You may find a cheap one
        for testing purposes - but watch for drivers
        vis-a-vis the OS.

        It will probably be the card; Maximum PC likes the
        ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 as their high end choice and
        ATI Radeon 9600 Pro as their "budget" card.

        HTH

        ...Bryce

        {original post follows}