RE: [Simply Computers] WinXP Memory Usage

  • Jared
    Message 1 of 90 , Apr 1, 2003
      Here are my numbers:

      Commit Charge (K)
      Total: 259472
      Limit: 395900
      Peak: 390780

      Physical Memory (K)
      Total: 458224
      Available: 131992
      System Cache: 169080

      Hi!

      Also check on the performance tab after you run your system for a
      while, under a "normal" load.

      Commit Charge (Total, Limit, Peak): Peak should never reach or
      exceed limit. The limit size is physical ram + swap. If your peak
      is close to limit, purchase more RAM or increase the swap file size
      (should not be greater than 2.5 times pysical ram).

      Physical Memory (Total, Available, System Cache): You should have
      some space available between "Available" and "Total". If the
      availalbe stat is low, you are probably swapping to the hard drive
      which will be a decrease in performance. Yes, purchase even more ram
      might help.

      What do your numbers look like?

      Good luck!

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, cej4108@n... wrote:
      > Hi, Jared
      >
      > Most memory upgrades will not provide enough system performance
      where anyone will notice. It does provide more room for the system to
      work and alleviate slow downs and other hiccups.

      > XP comsumes a great deal of memory and the less time it spends
      swapping out from the hard drive the better ergo the memory
      requirements.

      > XP is far from being perfect and it has its usual glitches (Windoz)
      so don't expect miracles when you add the memory.

      > If you want to boost it check your cache RAM, you motherboard bus
      speed, and make sure you put in the right combination of memory
      modules...are they in the appropraite banks, is the combo of memory
      size and speed appropriate for that motherboard, etc....

      > "Jared" <jaredrubinsky@y...> wrote:
      >
      > >Hey guys
      > >
      > >I added some more memory to my computer a few weeks ago, now my
      computer
      > >is preforming out of the ordinary or anything, but the new memory
      > >doesn't seem to be doing much help.  I went from 192 megs (128 & 64
      > >modules) to 448 megs (added a 256 module).  Now according to
      everything
      > >I have read, heard, and common sense there should be a noticable
      > >performance boost.  Now when I had only 192 megs of memory I would
      > >constantly monitor the Windows Task Manger to monitor performance,
      cpu,
      > >and memory usage.  When I had the 192 megs orginally No application
      > >would consume more then 11 megs of Memory (This would usually be
      the
      > >tast EXPLORER.EXE, the windows shell).  Now that upgraded to 448 of
      > >memory any normal application I would typically run will get up to
      28
      > >megs of Memory (Again this is usually the task EXPLORER.EXE).  Now
      my
      > >computer habbits havn't changed since I upped the memroy I still
      the
      > >same applications I did before.  I find it incredably odd that
      these
      > >applications insist on consuming more memory now that its
      available.

      > >Anyone's thoughts?
      > >
      > >-nem
      > >

      > --
      > Charles E. James, Programmer/Analyst
      > U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley California
      > http://home.earthlink.net/~bamboogrove/
      > Dragon's Gate Taoism

      > Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days!
      > http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380
      >
      > Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 for FREE! Download Now!
      > http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promos=380455

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • TwinkieStix
      Message 90 of 90 , Apr 12, 2003
        I used evolution until I started syncing my palm pilot between several
        computers and then it's database started getting messed up- I switched
        to Mozilla for mail and jpilot for everything else. Evolution is a
        great application.

        1. What distribution and version of Linux do you have? Most come with
        evolution already.
        2. Using red-carpet is the way to go. It takes a while but it is worth
        it because it gets you the latest version and soves dependencies. If
        you are using Ximian Evolution you should install it with Ximian Red
        Carpet. That's the way it's tested most. Just let it go overnight.
        3. I believe that you can buy an evoltuion CD cheap from ximian that
        does this. I'm offline, so I can't verify. Maybe somebody else offers
        a CD? Search google.

        What plugin did you want to use?

        --TwinkieStix