techies - using scanreg/fix from DOS prompt (98SE)

  • andy_chat_monster <andy_chat_monster@yah
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
      hi all

      Question for the techies

      I regularly use scanreg/opt before defragging.

      My question is about the switch scang/fix. What does this command
      actually *do* in the real world (as opposed to Microsoft's 'Bright-
      And-Jolly-Everything's-Fine-World')? What 'fixes' does it perform?
      Can it screw up the registry? Should i back-up the registry manually
      befor using /fix(as opposed to relying on the /restore switch)? Does
      it remove registry enties for long-since removed and uninstalled
      programs?

      Any info on the /fix switch would be appreciated.

      Andy
    • techie021173 <techie021173@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "andy_chat_monster
        <andy_chat_monster@y...>" <andy_chat_monster@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Andy

        Scanreg /fix is quite simple itt searches the registry for any
        coruption i.e a misleading key a key that no longer exist anything
        and fixes it. Hope this helps
        hi all

        > Question for the techies
        >
        > I regularly use scanreg/opt before defragging.
        >
        > My question is about the switch scang/fix. What does this command
        > actually *do* in the real world (as opposed to Microsoft's 'Bright-
        > And-Jolly-Everything's-Fine-World')? What 'fixes' does it perform?
        > Can it screw up the registry? Should i back-up the registry
        manually
        > befor using /fix(as opposed to relying on the /restore switch)?
        Does
        > it remove registry enties for long-since removed and uninstalled
        > programs?
        >
        > Any info on the /fix switch would be appreciated.
        >
        > Andy
      • rannie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
          in my experience, it will not remove the previously
          installed registry entry, it will only look for valid
          registry and try to fix tha invalid one.
          as you can see, it repairs and rebuild the windows dat
          file extension in registry.
          no registry entries are removed in this process.,

          --- "andy_chat_monster
          <andy_chat_monster@...>"

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/