RE: [Simply Computers] Software to fix Windows XP Registry, etc "Catch-22"

  • Vincent Winterling
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7 5:07 AM
      I'm not aware of programs that will fix a broken registry. There are
      cleaners available but not generally recommended for those who may end up
      making a problem worse.

      To fix a problem as significant as you suggest it is, why not run repair
      installation? Or better yet, start fresh with a reformat and reinstall?

      This KB article outlines how to approach a corrupted registry but as you'll
      see it requires substantial effort.

      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

      Vincent Winterling
      Vineland, NJ

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7 10:14 AM
        CCleaner from piriform.com

        But it may not be a registry problem, as you are presumming.

        Be sure to try the USB stick in different ports on the computer.

        rogerX

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Missouri Guy <n0tt1@...> wrote:

        > Folks, I have a sick Pc that won't install a USB U600 Stick Modem.
        > The modem works fine on another Windows XP computer, so it's not the
        > itself.
        >
        > I think what I have is a broken registry or broken installer, maybe both.
        >
        > I want to download some GOOD software to fix problems like that.
        > I've tried several and they all "work" to some degree, but after their
        > scan, they want to "register" the software on the Internet before
        > they will allow their software to actually do any work to fix the
        > problems.
        >
        > So, a "catch-22" situation here. I can't fix the problems because I
        > can't sign on to the 'net and I can't sign on to the 'net unless I can
        > get the USB modem working to sign on!!!
        >
        > So, I'm willing to BUY a good program that I can download with
        > another PC, save it to a USB thumb drive and install the repair
        > software into the "broken" computer. And then, not have the
        > repair program pester me or require me to "register" unless I want to.
        >
        > So, what do y'all recommend?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Charlie

      • Missouri Guy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8 10:21 AM
          Thanks Vincent and RogerX for your input.

          To be more specific RE the subject, I'm having trouble installing
          a U600 3G/4G USB Stick from Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go
          on this PC running with Windows XP sp3.

          First some background stuff which may not be in chronological
          order...

          o I've been working with several Virgin Mobile tech support people
          and neither they nor I can solve the installation problem.

          o I run the installation program from Virgin Mobile called:
          "Broadband2Go_Virginmobile_Setup-v1.0(build_455).zip"

          The program proceeds with the installation and I get a
          window that says "The device driver for the Franklin modem
          has been installed successfully. OS will detect the modem
          automatically. Please make sure that the modem is plugged [in],
          and press OK to continue". The modem IS plugged into the USB
          port.

          I press "OK" and then I get another window that says:
          "There is a problem with the Windows installer package. A script
          required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact
          your support personnel or package vendor." (I think that's a
          pretty good clue for experts to home in on.)

          o One tech asked me to download a Windows installer package v4.5
          from Microsoft for Windows XP. I did that and installed it, but
          I still get the problem as described above.

          o The USB stick works well on a Notebook computer with Windows XP
          installed. It's my only link to the web.

          o I've search the web, looking for similar problems and I thinks it's
          closely related to a "1722" error.

          o The USB port works well on this PC. Using a different USB port
          makes no difference...trouble still there.

          o I've used the CCleaner and no help there either.

          o I did a thorough virus scan of the computer using Norton
          Antivirus...nothing
          found in ~0.45 million files. (!!)

          o This current USB Stick replaces another Virgin Mobile USB
          stick that was only equipped with 3G service and it was
          working well.

          o I used the Software Repair Wizard that *may* have come with this
          Compaq
          computer. It asks me to select a "restore point". I tried that with
          several different
          restore point dates and those attemps failed.

          I've done the re-install before and also the reformat efforts before (on
          another problem) and it's a huge chore to get all the programs loaded
          and reinstalled/setup again.

          Folks, any other ideas to fix this problem?

          Thanks!,
          Charlie
          ----------------------
          >I'm not aware of programs that will fix a broken registry. There are
          cleaners available but not generally recommended for those who may end up
          making a problem worse.

          >To fix a problem as significant as you suggest it is, why not run repair
          installation? Or better yet, start fresh with a reformat and reinstall?

          >This KB article outlines how to approach a corrupted registry but as
          you'll
          see it requires substantial effort.

          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

          Vincent Winterling
          Vineland, NJ

          Folks, I have a sick Pc that won't install a USB U600 Stick Modem.
          The modem works fine on another Windows XP computer, so it's not the
          itself.

          I think what I have is a broken registry or broken installer, maybe both.

          I want to download some GOOD software to fix problems like that.
          I've tried several and they all "work" to some degree, but after their
          scan, they want to "register"; the software on the Internet before
          they will allow their software to actually do any work to fix the
          problems.

          So, a "catch-22" situation here. I can't fix the problems because I
          can't sign on to the 'net and I can't sign on to the 'net unless I can
          get the USB modem working to sign on!!!

          So, I'm willing to BUY a good program that I can download with
          another PC, save it to a USB thumb drive and install the repair
          software into the "broken" computer. And then, not have the
          repair program pester me or require me to "register"; unless I want to.

          So, what do y'all recommend?

          Thanks!
          Charlie

          Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (3)
          . Top ^ 3b Re: Software to fix Windows XP Registry, etc "Catch-22" Sun
          Apr 7, 2013 10:14 am (PDT) . Posted by: "RogerX19" rogerx19 CCleaner from
          piriform.com

          But it may not be a registry problem, as you are presumming.

          Be sure to try the USB stick in different ports on the computer.

          rogerX

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Missouri Guy <n0tt1@...> wrote:

          > Folks, I have a sick Pc that won't install a USB U600 Stick Modem.
          > The modem works fine on another Windows XP computer, so it's not the
          > itself.
          >
          > I think what I have is a broken registry or broken installer, maybe
          both.

          > I want to download some GOOD software to fix problems like that.
          > I've tried several and they all "work" to some degree, but after their
          > scan, they want to "register"; the software on the Internet before
          > they will allow their software to actually do any work to fix the
          > problems.
          >
          > So, a "catch-22" situation here. I can't fix the problems because I
          > can't sign on to the 'net and I can't sign on to the 'net unless I can
          > get the USB modem working to sign on!!!
          >
          > So, I'm willing to BUY a good program that I can download with
          > another PC, save it to a USB thumb drive and install the repair
          > software into the "broken" computer. And then, not have the
          > repair program pester me or require me to "register"; unless I want to.
          >
          > So, what do y'all recommend?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Charlie

        • Joan Leach
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8 1:30 PM
            Is Norton also on the laptop? Could be a firewall blocking it. Usually I'd suggest a Linux Live CD/DVD, but it seems only Sprint may have a fix for this particular modem on Linux. Perhaps various Linux Distros have it built-in, but I'm not sure. With WinXP loosing Microsoft support a year from today, it might be a good idea to see if Win7 will work on this Compac.
            With a repair install it doesn't require all programs to be re-installed. I may have to do it on mine, since I uninstalled some programs, since new versions of Avaquest's SystemCare, don't seem to be as high rated as it once was. I plan on trying Top Ten Review's #1 System Suite instead, I used to use it on Win98.
            If you don't mind nagware, you can try:http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
            http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/advanced-system-optimizer-review.html
            http://secunia.com/products/consumer/++++With that many programs installed you may need some other patches to be secure, here Secunia can help.
            Joan in Reno

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8 2:23 PM
              Joan, you made reference to the use of IOBit.

              Back in 2009 it was reported, and documented, that IOBit (based in China) stole Malwarebytes' itellectual property. As a result I will not use IOBit, nor will I recommend it.
              http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=29681
              http://tinyurl.com/ylzcs36

              --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Compaq
              >
              > computer. It asks me to select a "restore point". I tried that with
              >
              > several different
              >
              > restore point dates and those attemps failed.
              >
              > I've done the re-install before and also the reformat efforts before (on
              >
              > another problem) and it's a huge chore to get all the programs loaded
              >
              > and reinstalled/setup again.
              >
              > Folks, any other ideas to fix this problem?
              >
              > Thanks!,
              >
              > Charlie

              > >I'm not aware of programs that will fix a broken registry. There are
              >
              > cleaners available but not generally recommended for those who may end up
              >
              > making a problem worse.
              >

              > >To fix a problem as significant as you suggest it is, why not run repair
              >
              > installation? Or better yet, start fresh with a reformat and reinstall?
              >

              > >This KB article outlines how to approach a corrupted registry but as

            • Vincent Winterling
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8 4:46 PM
                So the problem started with the new modem? Will they send you another modem
                to try on the system in question?

                If Norton doesn't scan for malware, I would run Malwarebytes just to rule
                that out as a problem source.

                What's the 1722 error? If I recall, those types of errors have some decent
                problem solving information on the web.

                Vincent Winterling
                Vineland, NJ