Re: [Simply Computers] Re: Computer dust

  • Bill Kirchmeyer
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
      Mike,

      It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
      collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller systems
      can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire through
      the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure to
      ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does generate
      some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from this
      static.

      Bill Kirchmeyer

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
        The direction of air moving through a tube makes a difference?...you need to re-think that

        Mike Stone

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
          I guess my point here is that not cleaning a computer with a vacuum cleaner is bad due to static electricity is way over-blown. Any static electricity in the hose is dissipated through the body of the person holding the vacuum nozzle and will not spark to the circuitry being cleaned. We have cleaned computers for years with vacuums, compressed air and bottled air and never had a problem once.

          I really believe the people selling anti-static products have over-stated the static electricity problem to sell more products. I was handling electronic components before there were anti-static bags.

          Mike Stone

          Why would a vacuum cleaner create static electricity and canned would not?

          Mike Stone

          A vacuum cleaner will create static electricity.

          One spark to the wrong place inside your computer will make you sorry you
          tried it.

          rogerX

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Jack W" <jjwg03@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Is there anything I need to know about blowing the dust from my
          > computer? Would a regular floor vacum do it?? thanks Jack W.

        • RogerX19
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
            True.

            Also because the vacuum cleaner would be running a lot longer (comparatively) to a few short bursts from a can of air.

            I occassionally get a static shock when using the hose attachment to my home vacuum.

            Not lethal, of course, but a good reason for me not to use it inside my computer case.

            rogerX

            --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kirchmeyer" <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

            > Mike,
            >
            > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
            > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller systems
            > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire through
            > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure to
            > ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does generate
            > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from this
            > static.
            >
            > Bill Kirchmeyer

          • Alan Evans
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
              I use a combination of vacuum cleaner, compressed air and paintbrush on
              sensitive areas like a video card. I've never had a problem with the vacuum
              cleaner though I am very careful with it. I use it on a low setting and I
              don't put it too close to the motherboard. Just far enough away to suck up
              the biggest dust bunnies.

              I usually clean out most of the accumulated dust first with the vacuum,
              scrape the fans and heat sink clean, fix the fans with a pencil or something
              so they can't rotate, then use the vacuum to clean that up.

              Lastly I use a can of compressed air to blow out the rest while I'm hovering
              around with the vacuum to suck that up. I did manage to screw up the fan on
              a video card once by not holding it when I was cleaning it with compressed
              air. You learn from your mistakes.

              I also remove the front panel. I often find this the most shocking bit if a
              desktop PC hasn't been cleaned for years. Thick, thick layers of dust
              sometimes, almost like a layer of insulation. That's the moment I say - wow!
              ;-)

              Alan

              Also because the vacuum cleaner would be running a lot longer
              (comparatively) to a few short bursts from a can of air.

              I occassionally get a static shock when using the hose attachment to my home
              vacuum.

              Not lethal, of course, but a good reason for me not to use it inside my
              computer case.

              rogerX

              --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Bill Kirchmeyer"

              <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jack W" <jjwg03@> wrote:

              > > Hi, Is there anything I need to know about blowing the dust from my
              > > computer? Would a regular floor vacum do it?? thanks Jack W.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • emailshere
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                There is a small, powerful vacuum called the Metro DataVac (air out, not in;
                the "vac" part of the name is misleading). I bought one on Amazon several
                years ago, and I use it frequently for general household cleaning, but it
                was designed for blowing dust out of computers. Comes with several nozzles,
                including some with very small orifices. I'm sure not having to buy endless
                cans of compressed air at about $5 each has paid for the DataVac (I think it
                was about $40; don't know what they're running now).

                The force of the air feels about like the air coming from my compressor set
                at 95 psi.

                SB

                <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                > Mike,
                >
                > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                systems
                > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                through
                > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                > ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                generate
                > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                > this
                > static.
                >
                > Bill Kirchmeyer

                Simply
                > Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on
                > the

                > Internet.
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • emailshere
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                  Well, I shouldn't have said, "...small, but powerful VACUUM..." It's NOT a
                  vacuum; it's a blower.

                  SB

                  <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                  > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                  systems
                  > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                  through
                  > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                  > ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                  generate
                  > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                  > this
                  > static.
                  >
                  > Bill Kirchmeyer

                • Gil
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                    SB / all,

                    I just checked Amazon and the MetroVac model comes a few different packages
                    (attachments). The price ranges from $60.49 thru $71.81. Just do a search on
                    Metro DataVac and you'll see the page I'm getting this information. Looks
                    like a nice vacuum!

                    Gil

                    <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                    > Mike,
                    >
                    > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                    > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                    systems
                    > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                    through
                    > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                    > to ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                    generate
                    > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                    > this static.
                    >
                    > Bill Kirchmeyer

                  • emailshere
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                      Gil wrote: "Looks like a nice vacuum!"

                      Looks like a vacuum, has Vac in its name, but it's a blower. I think Gil
                      knows that, but it's really easy to slip up and call it a vacuum (like I did
                      earlier).

                      SB

                      <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                      > Mike,
                      >
                      > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                      > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                      systems
                      > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                      through
                      > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                      > to ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                      generate
                      > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                      > this static.
                      >
                      > Bill Kirchmeyer

                    • Bill Aycock
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                        Mike--
                        Sorry, the motion direction DOES make a difference. As the air moves in the
                        tube, it builds up an electric charge; where it exits, it can try to balance
                        that charge. If your chips happen to furnish a conductive path, ZAP, your
                        dead.
                        If the air comes to the chip from a wide area to enter the tube, the charge
                        will build, but NOT where your chips are.
                        ANY air motion can make a problem, which is why I use a brush and low
                        velocity air. When we recorded music on vinyl, record players often were
                        equipped with a mild radioactive material on a soft brush, to ionize the air
                        and disperse the electron charge.
                        Bill--W4BSG

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                          If your theory is correct, (ie "it builds up an electric charge; where it exits") wouldn't the plastic tube that air is being blown through build up a static charge at the tip of the tube?

                          Mike Stone

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                            Mike--
                            The electron imbalance is distributed along the tube, and carried by the
                            air. This is not just my "Theory", it has been measured many times and
                            places.
                            You will probably continue to do as you do now, regardless of what I say,
                            but think-- how many times have you cleaned an assembly prior to working on
                            it, and then found bad electronics? Did it ever occur to you to question
                            WHEN the fault happened?
                            By-the-way, in science, "Theory" does NOT equate to "Unproven". A theory is
                            a self-consistent set of statements on a subject, proven or not. Do you
                            believe in the "Theory" of Gravity, as stated by Isaac Newton?
                            Bill--W4BSG

                            The direction of air moving through a tube makes a difference?...you need to
                            re-think that

                            Mike Stone

                            > The air velocity going into a vacuum cleaner is less then the air velocity
                            > from one of those cans of air so why would you think the vacuum would suck
                            > up a chip ?

                            The canned air Blows ..... the vacuum sucks
                            .... big difference :)

                            Ian Fyvie -The Ferret

                          • Tarcisio Goes
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                              Agree 100%. I do it all the time and never had a problem.

                              Tarcisio

                              ----------------------

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                Bill

                                What do you use to measure the static electricity build-up on your vacuum cleaner tube when vacuuming up dust like found in a computer?

                                Mike Stone

                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                  Mike--
                                  I do not, at present, have the capability to make such measurements. In the
                                  past, I have used commercial equipment to check the charge on plastic parts
                                  in small wind tunnel tests.
                                  More recently, I have seen static charge build up to the point where audible
                                  and visible arcs could be seen at the end of radio antenna feed limes. This
                                  is a common problem that radio amateurs face. In this case, the charge is
                                  the result of air flow (called "Wind") past the antenna. It is worst in
                                  winter when the air is cold and dry.
                                  In fact, because of the flow direction, a small flow vacuum stream may be
                                  safer than the Canned air. However, the flow from the canned air is so small
                                  that the charge may not be large.
                                  Bill--W4 BSG

                                  What do you use to measure the static electricity build-up on your vacuum
                                  cleaner tube when vacuuming up dust like found in a computer?

                                  Mike Stone

                                  The direction of air moving through a tube makes a difference?...you need to
                                  re-think that

                                  Mike Stone

                                  > The air velocity going into a vacuum cleaner is less then the air velocity
                                  > from one of those cans of air so why would you think the vacuum would suck
                                  > up a chip ?

                                  The canned air Blows ..... the vacuum sucks
                                  .... big difference :)

                                  Ian Fyvie -The Ferret

                                • Dale
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                    While immediate damage due to static discharge from standard vacuum
                                    cleaners is rare, the more insidious problem is the cumulative damage
                                    to the circuitry. One "zap" may or may not create a problem, but do it
                                    often enough and the circuit will fail. The problem is greater in my
                                    part of the country (Colorado) due to low humidity. Those living in
                                    more humid areas may not see the damage unless they vacuum every month.
                                    Having seen electron micrographs of circuits after a single "zap" I can
                                    attest to the damage being real. It looks like a bomb crater. If the
                                    "crater" is off the "highway" (current path), then the circuit will
                                    continue to work. if the damage is on the "highway", then the circuit
                                    will most certainly have a problem.
                                    The reason "canned" air dusters don't create a problem is their "fluid"
                                    is not dry air, but rather properly balanced with chemicals to reduce
                                    static build-up.
                                    Of course today most electronic equipment is tossed before most static
                                    damage is noticed.
                                    Hope this "muddies" the waters some more! :)
                                    Dale
                                    --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Aycock" <billaycock@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Mike--
                                    > I do not, at present, have the capability to make such measurements.
                                    In the
                                    > past, I have used commercial equipment to check the charge on plastic
                                    parts
                                    > in small wind tunnel tests.
                                    > More recently, I have seen static charge build up to the point where
                                    audible
                                    > and visible arcs could be seen at the end of radio antenna feed limes.
                                    This
                                    > is a common problem that radio amateurs face. In this case, the charge
                                    is
                                    > the result of air flow (called "Wind") past the antenna. It is worst
                                    in
                                    > winter when the air is cold and dry.
                                    > In fact, because of the flow direction, a small flow vacuum stream may
                                    be
                                    > safer than the Canned air. However, the flow from the canned air is so
                                    small
                                    > that the charge may not be large.
                                    > Bill--W4 BSG

                                  • C. Michael Stone
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                      Quite often humansapply cautions to actions based on a knee-jerk reaction and not actual facts.
                                      If the headlines read “Boykilled playing marbles on freeway”, many parents would restrict their childfrom playing marbles.

                                      I know all vacuum hoses usedin a commercial environment (and we use these) are subject to OSHA requirements which state thehose and the vacuum source must be capable of conducting a static electricalbuild-up safely to earth ground. The hose is designed with conductivestrips inside which mate with conductors on the vacuum motor to accomplish thisrequirement. This precaution is a required because these hoses are used tovacuum many different substances, in various environments all which couldcontribute to an explosive event.

                                      Like you said "damage due to static discharge from standard vacuum cleaners is rare" and I don't deny it has not occurred but to repeat your statement .....it is rare.

                                      Mike Stone

                                      wrote:

                                      > Mike--
                                      > I do not, at present, have the capability to make such measurements.
                                      In the
                                      > past, I have used commercial equipment to check the charge on plastic
                                      parts
                                      > in small wind tunnel tests.
                                      > More recently, I have seen static charge build up to the point where
                                      audible
                                      > and visible arcs could be seen at the end of radio antenna feed limes.
                                      This
                                      > is a common problem that radio amateurs face. In this case, the charge
                                      is
                                      > the result of air flow (called "Wind") past the antenna. It is worst
                                      in
                                      > winter when the air is cold and dry.
                                      > In fact, because of the flow direction, a small flow vacuum stream may
                                      be
                                      > safer than the Canned air. However, the flow from the canned air is so
                                      small
                                      > that the charge may not be large.
                                      > Bill--W4 BSG

                                    • Norm Higgs
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 13, 2013
                                        I tend to agree with Mike on this one. I have safely vacuumed the dust
                                        from computers many times with no ill affects afterword. Note that it
                                        should be turned off and unplugged when doing so.

                                        IMO all canned air does is make a dust cloud that settles back on the
                                        equipment. A vacuum, OTOH actually sucks up the dust, allowing it to be
                                        disposed of.

                                        Norm Higgs
                                        http://forbiddenpc.com
                                        http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com