Re: [Simply Computers] Re: Computer dust

  • C. Michael Stone
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
      Why would a vacuum cleaner create static electricity and canned would not?

      Mike Stone

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
        Mike,

        It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
        collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller systems
        can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire through
        the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure to
        ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does generate
        some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from this
        static.

        Bill Kirchmeyer

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
          The direction of air moving through a tube makes a difference?...you need to re-think that

          Mike Stone

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
            I guess my point here is that not cleaning a computer with a vacuum cleaner is bad due to static electricity is way over-blown. Any static electricity in the hose is dissipated through the body of the person holding the vacuum nozzle and will not spark to the circuitry being cleaned. We have cleaned computers for years with vacuums, compressed air and bottled air and never had a problem once.

            I really believe the people selling anti-static products have over-stated the static electricity problem to sell more products. I was handling electronic components before there were anti-static bags.

            Mike Stone

            Why would a vacuum cleaner create static electricity and canned would not?

            Mike Stone

            A vacuum cleaner will create static electricity.

            One spark to the wrong place inside your computer will make you sorry you
            tried it.

            rogerX

            --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Jack W" <jjwg03@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Is there anything I need to know about blowing the dust from my
            > computer? Would a regular floor vacum do it?? thanks Jack W.

          • RogerX19
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
              True.

              Also because the vacuum cleaner would be running a lot longer (comparatively) to a few short bursts from a can of air.

              I occassionally get a static shock when using the hose attachment to my home vacuum.

              Not lethal, of course, but a good reason for me not to use it inside my computer case.

              rogerX

              --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kirchmeyer" <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

              > Mike,
              >
              > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
              > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller systems
              > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire through
              > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure to
              > ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does generate
              > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from this
              > static.
              >
              > Bill Kirchmeyer

            • Alan Evans
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                I use a combination of vacuum cleaner, compressed air and paintbrush on
                sensitive areas like a video card. I've never had a problem with the vacuum
                cleaner though I am very careful with it. I use it on a low setting and I
                don't put it too close to the motherboard. Just far enough away to suck up
                the biggest dust bunnies.

                I usually clean out most of the accumulated dust first with the vacuum,
                scrape the fans and heat sink clean, fix the fans with a pencil or something
                so they can't rotate, then use the vacuum to clean that up.

                Lastly I use a can of compressed air to blow out the rest while I'm hovering
                around with the vacuum to suck that up. I did manage to screw up the fan on
                a video card once by not holding it when I was cleaning it with compressed
                air. You learn from your mistakes.

                I also remove the front panel. I often find this the most shocking bit if a
                desktop PC hasn't been cleaned for years. Thick, thick layers of dust
                sometimes, almost like a layer of insulation. That's the moment I say - wow!
                ;-)

                Alan

                Also because the vacuum cleaner would be running a lot longer
                (comparatively) to a few short bursts from a can of air.

                I occassionally get a static shock when using the hose attachment to my home
                vacuum.

                Not lethal, of course, but a good reason for me not to use it inside my
                computer case.

                rogerX

                --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Bill Kirchmeyer"

                <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jack W" <jjwg03@> wrote:

                > > Hi, Is there anything I need to know about blowing the dust from my
                > > computer? Would a regular floor vacum do it?? thanks Jack W.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • emailshere
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                  There is a small, powerful vacuum called the Metro DataVac (air out, not in;
                  the "vac" part of the name is misleading). I bought one on Amazon several
                  years ago, and I use it frequently for general household cleaning, but it
                  was designed for blowing dust out of computers. Comes with several nozzles,
                  including some with very small orifices. I'm sure not having to buy endless
                  cans of compressed air at about $5 each has paid for the DataVac (I think it
                  was about $40; don't know what they're running now).

                  The force of the air feels about like the air coming from my compressor set
                  at 95 psi.

                  SB

                  <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                  > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                  systems
                  > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                  through
                  > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                  > ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                  generate
                  > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                  > this
                  > static.
                  >
                  > Bill Kirchmeyer

                  Simply
                  > Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on
                  > the

                  > Internet.
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • emailshere
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                    Well, I shouldn't have said, "...small, but powerful VACUUM..." It's NOT a
                    vacuum; it's a blower.

                    SB

                    <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                    > Mike,
                    >
                    > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                    > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                    systems
                    > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                    through
                    > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                    > ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                    generate
                    > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                    > this
                    > static.
                    >
                    > Bill Kirchmeyer

                  • Gil
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                      SB / all,

                      I just checked Amazon and the MetroVac model comes a few different packages
                      (attachments). The price ranges from $60.49 thru $71.81. Just do a search on
                      Metro DataVac and you'll see the page I'm getting this information. Looks
                      like a nice vacuum!

                      Gil

                      <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                      > Mike,
                      >
                      > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                      > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                      systems
                      > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                      through
                      > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                      > to ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                      generate
                      > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                      > this static.
                      >
                      > Bill Kirchmeyer

                    • emailshere
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                        Gil wrote: "Looks like a nice vacuum!"

                        Looks like a vacuum, has Vac in its name, but it's a blower. I think Gil
                        knows that, but it's really easy to slip up and call it a vacuum (like I did
                        earlier).

                        SB

                        <CCS-Trainmaster@...> wrote:

                        > Mike,
                        >
                        > It is because of the air movement through the plastic hose. Big dust
                        > collection systems in wood working shops use metal pipe. The smaller
                        systems
                        > can use some plastic pipe, but they warn you to run a grounding wire
                        through
                        > the length of the pipe. There have been dust explosions from failure
                        > to ground. A home vac won't generate all that much static, but it does
                        generate
                        > some. My shop vac collects sawdust on the outside of the hose from
                        > this static.
                        >
                        > Bill Kirchmeyer

                      • Bill Aycock
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                          Mike--
                          Sorry, the motion direction DOES make a difference. As the air moves in the
                          tube, it builds up an electric charge; where it exits, it can try to balance
                          that charge. If your chips happen to furnish a conductive path, ZAP, your
                          dead.
                          If the air comes to the chip from a wide area to enter the tube, the charge
                          will build, but NOT where your chips are.
                          ANY air motion can make a problem, which is why I use a brush and low
                          velocity air. When we recorded music on vinyl, record players often were
                          equipped with a mild radioactive material on a soft brush, to ionize the air
                          and disperse the electron charge.
                          Bill--W4BSG

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                            If your theory is correct, (ie "it builds up an electric charge; where it exits") wouldn't the plastic tube that air is being blown through build up a static charge at the tip of the tube?

                            Mike Stone

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                              Mike--
                              The electron imbalance is distributed along the tube, and carried by the
                              air. This is not just my "Theory", it has been measured many times and
                              places.
                              You will probably continue to do as you do now, regardless of what I say,
                              but think-- how many times have you cleaned an assembly prior to working on
                              it, and then found bad electronics? Did it ever occur to you to question
                              WHEN the fault happened?
                              By-the-way, in science, "Theory" does NOT equate to "Unproven". A theory is
                              a self-consistent set of statements on a subject, proven or not. Do you
                              believe in the "Theory" of Gravity, as stated by Isaac Newton?
                              Bill--W4BSG

                              The direction of air moving through a tube makes a difference?...you need to
                              re-think that

                              Mike Stone

                              > The air velocity going into a vacuum cleaner is less then the air velocity
                              > from one of those cans of air so why would you think the vacuum would suck
                              > up a chip ?

                              The canned air Blows ..... the vacuum sucks
                              .... big difference :)

                              Ian Fyvie -The Ferret

                            • Tarcisio Goes
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                                Agree 100%. I do it all the time and never had a problem.

                                Tarcisio

                                ----------------------

                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                  Bill

                                  What do you use to measure the static electricity build-up on your vacuum cleaner tube when vacuuming up dust like found in a computer?

                                  Mike Stone

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                    Mike--
                                    I do not, at present, have the capability to make such measurements. In the
                                    past, I have used commercial equipment to check the charge on plastic parts
                                    in small wind tunnel tests.
                                    More recently, I have seen static charge build up to the point where audible
                                    and visible arcs could be seen at the end of radio antenna feed limes. This
                                    is a common problem that radio amateurs face. In this case, the charge is
                                    the result of air flow (called "Wind") past the antenna. It is worst in
                                    winter when the air is cold and dry.
                                    In fact, because of the flow direction, a small flow vacuum stream may be
                                    safer than the Canned air. However, the flow from the canned air is so small
                                    that the charge may not be large.
                                    Bill--W4 BSG

                                    What do you use to measure the static electricity build-up on your vacuum
                                    cleaner tube when vacuuming up dust like found in a computer?

                                    Mike Stone

                                    The direction of air moving through a tube makes a difference?...you need to
                                    re-think that

                                    Mike Stone

                                    > The air velocity going into a vacuum cleaner is less then the air velocity
                                    > from one of those cans of air so why would you think the vacuum would suck
                                    > up a chip ?

                                    The canned air Blows ..... the vacuum sucks
                                    .... big difference :)

                                    Ian Fyvie -The Ferret

                                  • Dale
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                      While immediate damage due to static discharge from standard vacuum
                                      cleaners is rare, the more insidious problem is the cumulative damage
                                      to the circuitry. One "zap" may or may not create a problem, but do it
                                      often enough and the circuit will fail. The problem is greater in my
                                      part of the country (Colorado) due to low humidity. Those living in
                                      more humid areas may not see the damage unless they vacuum every month.
                                      Having seen electron micrographs of circuits after a single "zap" I can
                                      attest to the damage being real. It looks like a bomb crater. If the
                                      "crater" is off the "highway" (current path), then the circuit will
                                      continue to work. if the damage is on the "highway", then the circuit
                                      will most certainly have a problem.
                                      The reason "canned" air dusters don't create a problem is their "fluid"
                                      is not dry air, but rather properly balanced with chemicals to reduce
                                      static build-up.
                                      Of course today most electronic equipment is tossed before most static
                                      damage is noticed.
                                      Hope this "muddies" the waters some more! :)
                                      Dale
                                      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Aycock" <billaycock@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Mike--
                                      > I do not, at present, have the capability to make such measurements.
                                      In the
                                      > past, I have used commercial equipment to check the charge on plastic
                                      parts
                                      > in small wind tunnel tests.
                                      > More recently, I have seen static charge build up to the point where
                                      audible
                                      > and visible arcs could be seen at the end of radio antenna feed limes.
                                      This
                                      > is a common problem that radio amateurs face. In this case, the charge
                                      is
                                      > the result of air flow (called "Wind") past the antenna. It is worst
                                      in
                                      > winter when the air is cold and dry.
                                      > In fact, because of the flow direction, a small flow vacuum stream may
                                      be
                                      > safer than the Canned air. However, the flow from the canned air is so
                                      small
                                      > that the charge may not be large.
                                      > Bill--W4 BSG

                                    • C. Michael Stone
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 11, 2013
                                        Quite often humansapply cautions to actions based on a knee-jerk reaction and not actual facts.
                                        If the headlines read “Boykilled playing marbles on freeway”, many parents would restrict their childfrom playing marbles.

                                        I know all vacuum hoses usedin a commercial environment (and we use these) are subject to OSHA requirements which state thehose and the vacuum source must be capable of conducting a static electricalbuild-up safely to earth ground. The hose is designed with conductivestrips inside which mate with conductors on the vacuum motor to accomplish thisrequirement. This precaution is a required because these hoses are used tovacuum many different substances, in various environments all which couldcontribute to an explosive event.

                                        Like you said "damage due to static discharge from standard vacuum cleaners is rare" and I don't deny it has not occurred but to repeat your statement .....it is rare.

                                        Mike Stone

                                        wrote:

                                        > Mike--
                                        > I do not, at present, have the capability to make such measurements.
                                        In the
                                        > past, I have used commercial equipment to check the charge on plastic
                                        parts
                                        > in small wind tunnel tests.
                                        > More recently, I have seen static charge build up to the point where
                                        audible
                                        > and visible arcs could be seen at the end of radio antenna feed limes.
                                        This
                                        > is a common problem that radio amateurs face. In this case, the charge
                                        is
                                        > the result of air flow (called "Wind") past the antenna. It is worst
                                        in
                                        > winter when the air is cold and dry.
                                        > In fact, because of the flow direction, a small flow vacuum stream may
                                        be
                                        > safer than the Canned air. However, the flow from the canned air is so
                                        small
                                        > that the charge may not be large.
                                        > Bill--W4 BSG

                                      • Norm Higgs
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 13, 2013
                                          I tend to agree with Mike on this one. I have safely vacuumed the dust
                                          from computers many times with no ill affects afterword. Note that it
                                          should be turned off and unplugged when doing so.

                                          IMO all canned air does is make a dust cloud that settles back on the
                                          equipment. A vacuum, OTOH actually sucks up the dust, allowing it to be
                                          disposed of.

                                          Norm Higgs
                                          http://forbiddenpc.com
                                          http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com