Formatting Flash drive

  • Raymond
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
      I have a flash drive that is supposed to be 256 gigs but some how windows formatted it to 8 megs.

      The file system was exFat but is now just Fat.

      Is there any way to reformat back to 256 gigs with the exFat file system
    • RogerX19
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
        Try formatting it again, but this time look for a drop down menu for format type.

        Also make sure it is not a "U3 enabled" drive:

        http://www.pchell.com/support/u3smartdrives.shtml

        rogerX

      • bigray1968@att.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
          Maybe I didn't explain the problem correctly. The format menu sezs exFat is present but the is drive is only reading 8megs instead of 256 gigs and nothing in windows will format back to its supposed size

          Sent from my NOOK
        • Ardell Faul
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
            I would install EaseUs Partition manager, free and good. Then you can
            look at the drive to see the partitions. My guess is you will need to
            delete all the partitions in the drive, then create a new one, THEN go
            format it exFat.

            http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

            Ardell Faul
            Computer Monitor Service Inc.
            Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
            10816 E. Mission Ave.,
            Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
            ardell@...
            509-891-5188

            On 3/9/2013 10:22 PM, bigray1968@... wrote:

            > Maybe I didn't explain the problem correctly. The format menu sezs
            > exFat is present but the is drive is only reading 8megs instead of 256
            > gigs and nothing in windows will format back to its supposed size
            >
            > Sent from my NOOK

          • RogerX19
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
              I would try Ardell's suggestion.

              If that does not work, perhaps the drive is defective?

              Or perhaps you could boot your computer with a Linux disk, and try that.

              You might also check the manufacturer's website, in the Support section to see if others have had this problem and fixed it.

              rogerX

              --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "bigray1968@..." <bigray1968@...> wrote:

              > Maybe I didn't explain the problem correctly. The format menu sezs exFat is present but the is drive is only reading 8megs instead of 256 gigs and nothing in windows will format back to its supposed size
              >

              > Sent from my NOOK

            • Joan Leach
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
                On another Yahoo Linux mail list, bottom post only, today Thad was told and I found out that they supply something called secure-erase, because of the way they have extra flash chips to allow for the way dd or other file tools work. Maybe the person will have luck looking to their forum.
                Joan in Reno

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
                  Not all flash drives are what they claim to be.
                  Check out the info at this site & the free flash testing tool H2testw.
                  http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

                  G.