Re: [Simply Computers] APC UPS advice please

  • Bill Aycock
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
      APC ships its units with the battery NOT connected. did you connect it?
      APC units usually have two sets of output sockets on top; one set is
      supplied directly from the power input; the other set are supplied from the
      battery. Have you checked the output of both sets?
      What is the model number?
      Bill--W4BSG

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
        Yes i have connected the battery.

        The surge sockets work ok but the battery powered do not.

        Its an APC rs800 backup UPS.
        http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br800i&tab=options

        Martin N

        On Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 06:35 PM, Bill Aycock wrote:
        > APC ships its units with the battery NOT connected. did you connect it?
        > APC units usually have two sets of output sockets on top; one set is
        > supplied directly from the power input; the other set are supplied from
        > the
        > battery. Have you checked the output of both sets?
        > What is the model number?
        > Bill--W4BSG

        trott3r@...

      • Bill Aycock
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
          Martin--
          It looks like, at minimum, you have a bad battery. You can check the battery
          by disconnecting it and trying it on a different charger.
          An alternative fault is in the charging circuit (including the power switch)
          The failure of the indicator light is a worry. Check the switch to see if it
          turns the surge sockets on and off, even if the light doesn't work.
          I wish I had more help to offer.
          Bill--W4BSG

          The surge sockets work ok but the battery powered do not.

          Its an APC rs800 backup UPS.
          http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br800i&tab=options

          Martin N

          On Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 06:35 PM, Bill Aycock wrote:
          > APC ships its units with the battery NOT connected. did you connect it?
          > APC units usually have two sets of output sockets on top; one set is
          > supplied directly from the power input; the other set are supplied from
          > the
          > battery. Have you checked the output of both sets?
          > What is the model number?
          > Bill--W4BSG

          trott3r@...

        • RogerX19
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
            did it come with a manual?

            maybe you have to charge the battery overnite

            --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, trott3r@... wrote:

            > Yes i have connected the battery.
            >
            > The surge sockets work ok but the battery powered do not.
            >
            > Its an APC rs800 backup UPS.
            > http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br800i&tab=options
            >
            > Martin N
            >
            > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 06:35 PM, Bill Aycock wrote:
            > > APC ships its units with the battery NOT connected. did you connect it?
            > > APC units usually have two sets of output sockets on top; one set is
            > > supplied directly from the power input; the other set are supplied from
            > > the
            > > battery. Have you checked the output of both sets?
            > > What is the model number?
            > > Bill--W4BSG

          • Gil
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
              And if you suspect it's the battery - contact APC. Mine lasted about two
              years and then did not start up when the house lost power. My computer went
              down hard. Fortunately everything was okay with my files and data. I
              contacted APC and explained to them what the problem was. They didn't want
              the battery back and they sent me another that works well. I'm confident
              this battery will last longer.

              Hopefully, at the time of purchase, you registered the product.

              Gil

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                Yes it came with a manual and it says charge for 8hrs.

                I have done so and still no lights.

                Martin

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                  i dont have a separate charger.

                  The switch does not affect the surge sockets.
                  No on or off.

                  Martin

                  trott3r@...

                  --
                  http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...
                • trott3r
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                    Its a second hand UPS so it will not be under warranty.

                    Martin

                    trott3r@...

                  • RogerX19
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                      Your original post said:

                      "Measuring the voltage on the terminal plugs gives me 4.7V when it
                      > > > outputs 14V when fully charged.
                      > > >
                      > > > After an hours charge i get 4.8V "

                      Are you measuring the battery posts or the charging wires?

                      Connect your multimeter to the battery charging wires with the battery disconnected. It should read 14 volts or more.

                      If it's reading less that 12 v, it won't charge a 12 v battery.

                      You should test it across a load for a more accurate reading, perhaps connect a 12 v automotive bulb across the charging wires, then connect your meter in parallel to the bulb.

                      But basically you need to see a voltage that is higher than the battery voltage.

                      If the UPS is only supplying 4.8 v to the battery, that's all it will charge to.

                      If the UPS is supplying 14v +, and the battery doesn't charge, the battery is bad.

                      rogerX