Re: [Simply Computers] Re: Toshiba Satellite screen too dark

  • C. Michael Stone
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
      Controlling the screen brightness from the keyboard using the Fn + F6 to dim the screen and Fn + F7 to increase the brightness are a function of the BIOS and not the operating system. The operating system has a setting called "Power Options" which has screen brightness as one of the functions to control the power usage by the laptop.

      Mike Stone

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
        I was looking on the Toshiba support site. Where did you get the Windows 8 drivers for your laptop....I only see Windows 7 drivers available.

        Mike Stone

        In control panel I have it set to high power. This laptop is always plugged in because the battery is probably original and very weak. Doesn't last more than 10 minutes unplugged.

        I tried your recommended site and that didn't change anything.

        I went to the settings tab after arrowing over to the right edge of the screen on windows 8 and the brightness icon says unavailable. When clicking on it it states 'windows can't adjust brightness on this display'. So it seems to contradict Mr. Stones comment about not being a function of the operating system. Or did two of my keyboard keys mysteriously just happen to stop working.?

        Also I did Google it which is where I found that website for the inverter. I was going to try a new one because their price seemed to be reasonable but after they told me it was unavailable (from them) I'm thinking before spending money willy-nilly lets make sure it's the right way to go. And Mike the screen is dim but I don't see any pinkish hue.

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "C. Michael Stone" wrote:

        > The screen brightness is not a function of the operating system, so changing to Windows 8 should not have had an affect on that.
        >

        > The screen backlight is a single CCFL tube power by an inverter. Usually if the CCFL tube starts to burn out it gets dim and produces a pinkish hue on the screen.
        >

        > Inverters are available for the computer (Google it) but it may not be the inverter causing the problem.
        >

        > Mike Stone

      • ChadP
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
          I got them through this group a while back when someone posted a upgrade option that was reasonably priced. I did the windows upgrade compatibility test first and it said this computer was good to go. So I went.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
            Well it could possibly be that the display driver is corrupt.....maybe Ardell will chime in with his best guess.

            Mike Stone

            I got them through this group a while back when someone posted a upgrade option that was reasonably priced. I did the windows upgrade compatibility test first and it said this computer was good to go. So I went.

            --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "C. Michael Stone" wrote:

            > I was looking on the Toshiba support site. Where did you get the Windows 8 drivers for your laptop....I only see Windows 7 drivers available.
            >

            > Mike Stone

          • Alan Evans
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
              You're welcome Chad. I didn't have too much faith in that fix but I still
              have a feeling we're not on the same page here. Here you mentioned using the
              Windows brightness control button on the right side of the screen. But did
              you find the slider I mentioned in Power Options?

              These are the settings I'm referring to. You see the slider here next to
              'Adjust plan brightness'.

              <http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-f
              ix-dark-screen-problems/>
              http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fi
              x-dark-screen-problems/

              <http://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-power-plan-windows-8>
              http://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-power-plan-windows-8

              See if these help. No disrespect intended but I have a feeling you're
              jumping the gun a bit here. Looking at it logically, I can't imagine that
              you suddenly developed a hardware problem with the inverter just by
              upgrading to Windows 8. You said you used to be able to change the settings
              with the Fn key in Vista. Personally, I would concentrate on looking for a
              software solution.

              Let us know what happens when you check out the plan brightness settings in
              Power Options. Or try switching Enable adaptive brightness to 'Off' in
              advanced power settings, as described in the How-To Geek link.

              Alan

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
                We were on the same page but here's what I have (or more accurately what I don't have). I have 'turn off the display' and that's it.

                There isn't a 'dim the display'
                There isn't a 'put the computer to sleep'
                There isn't a 'adjust plan brightness' with those sliders you speak of.

                Just the 'turn off display' with the drop downs for adjusting times.
                I guess that's why my brightness icon says unavailable underneath it.
                Cool eh.?

                --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Evans" <snavenala@...> wrote:

                > You're welcome Chad. I didn't have too much faith in that fix but I still
                > have a feeling we're not on the same page here. Here you mentioned using the
                > Windows brightness control button on the right side of the screen. But did
                > you find the slider I mentioned in Power Options?
                >

                > These are the settings I'm referring to. You see the slider here next to
                > 'Adjust plan brightness'.
                >

                > <http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-f
                > ix-dark-screen-problems/>
                > http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fi
                > x-dark-screen-problems/
                >

                > <http://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-power-plan-windows-8>
                > http://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-power-plan-windows-8
                >

                > See if these help. No disrespect intended but I have a feeling you're
                > jumping the gun a bit here. Looking at it logically, I can't imagine that
                > you suddenly developed a hardware problem with the inverter just by
                > upgrading to Windows 8. You said you used to be able to change the settings
                > with the Fn key in Vista. Personally, I would concentrate on looking for a
                > software solution.
                >

                > Let us know what happens when you check out the plan brightness settings in
                > Power Options. Or try switching Enable adaptive brightness to 'Off' in
                > advanced power settings, as described in the How-To Geek link.
                >

                > Alan

              • Ardell Faul
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Well, looking at the keyboard for this model at
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-for-Toshiba-P200-P200D-P205-P205D-Keyboard-US-black-/181070576547?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2a28a5bba3
                  it appears to me that you can control the screen brightness by holding
                  down the Fn key and tapping or holding down the F7 key. F6 key to
                  decrease the brightness. This part should work no matter what windows
                  is doing.

                  Ardell Faul
                  Computer Monitor Service Inc.
                  Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
                  10816 E. Mission Ave.,
                  Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
                  ardell@...
                  509-891-5188

                  On 2/27/2013 11:47 AM, C. Michael Stone wrote:

                  > Well it could possibly be that the display driver is corrupt.....maybe
                  > Ardell will chime in with his best guess.
                  >
                  > Mike Stone

                • C. Michael Stone
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 27, 2013
                    That's what I said in an earlier post, but he said it does not work. We don't know if he did a BIOS update when he installed Windows 8 on the computer.

                    Mike Stone

                    Well, looking at the keyboard for this model at
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-for-Toshiba-P200-P200D-P205-P205D-Keyboard-US-black-/181070576547?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2a28a5bba3
                    it appears to me that you can control the screen brightness by holding
                    down the Fn key and tapping or holding down the F7 key. F6 key to
                    decrease the brightness. This part should work no matter what windows
                    is doing.

                    Ardell Faul
                    Computer Monitor Service Inc.
                    Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
                    10816 E. Mission Ave.,
                    Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
                    ardell@...
                    509-891-5188

                    On 2/27/2013 11:47 AM, C. Michael Stone wrote:

                    > Well it could possibly be that the display driver is corrupt.....maybe
                    > Ardell will chime in with his best guess.
                    >
                    > Mike Stone

                  • Alan Evans
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Here's the online manual for your laptop in case you don't have it already:

                      http://www.manualowl.com/p/Toshiba/Satellite-P205D-S7439/Manual/168003

                      or http://tinyurl.com/ccz4l3l

                      Power options in Vista, Win7 and Win 8 all look basically the same. When you
                      click on Change plan settings for your own power scheme, there's obviously
                      an additional brightness setting in notebooks and extra power settings for
                      the battery and adapter. If you don't see these settings at all in your own
                      power options and the hotkeys combination doesn't work with F6 and F7
                      (although you already told us that), I'd start looking at the Device
                      Manager.

                      Did you find any possible solutions when you googled for this? I just had a
                      quick look. Here are a few sites where they also had a brightness a problem
                      and solved it in different ways in the Device Manager. Uninstalling and
                      re-installing the display adapter for instance. These issues were not
                      necessarily after an upgrade to Win 8, but something here might help. The
                      first one is also a Toshiba Satellite.

                      http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-7/windows-7-screen-brightness-function/
                      td-p/256597

                      or http://tinyurl.com/bv75jms

                      Or see first if you can simply update the driver for your display adapter in
                      the Device Manager in the regular way (right mouse click and 'Update
                      drivers'). I also have Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
                      listed under Display adapters on a Toshiba Satellite L300 here with Windows
                      7.

                      You may have to go the Intel site. If you have this Chipset Family, I only
                      see two drivers for Windows 8 on the Intel site, one for 32 bit and one for
                      64 bit systems - from November 2012.

                      http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video-e-g-Windows-8/cannot
                      -change-screen-brightness/td-p/162406

                      or http://tinyurl.com/c854st5

                      Installing a Windows 8 driver for your display adapter might be your best
                      bet.

                      Alan

                      <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Alan Evans" wrote:

> [...]
                      > was going to try a new one because their price seemed to be reasonable but
                      > after they told me it was unavailable (from them) I'm thinking before
                      > spending money willy-nilly lets make sure it's the right way to go. And
                      Mike
                      > the screen is dim but I don't see any pinkish hue.
                      >
                      > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > , "C. Michael Stone" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The screen brightness is not a function of the operating system, so
                      > changing to Windows 8 should not have had an affect on that.
                      > >

                      > > The screen backlight is a single CCFL tube power by an inverter. Usually
                      > if the CCFL tube starts to burn out it gets dim and produces a pinkish hue
                      > on the screen.
                      > >

                      > > Inverters are available for the computer (Google it) but it may not be

                    • ChadP
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 28, 2013
                        It looks like my replies are all over the place. When I answered to Alan it seems to come up only under his replies back to me. Maybe this is the correct way to keep the thread all together.

                        At any rate I've tried all the fixes that were recommended and no luck. I also went into the BIOS setup and can't for the life of me see where to update anything.

                        Display drivers were uninstalled then a restart and also looked for any updated versions which came back as everything is up to date.

                        I have AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-55
                        ATI Chipset ID7910

                        Should I Google something to do with these as a new direction to try.?

                      • C. Michael Stone
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 28, 2013
                          To update the BIOS you download a file like you do with a driver and install it on the computer, but like I said earlier.... on the Toshiba support page I do not see a BIOS update for Windows 8 nor do I see any drivers for Windows 8

                          The brightness control using the "F" keys is a function of the BIOS and not the operating system. I somehow think going from Vista to Windows 8 did something.

                          Did you have this problem with Vista or only Windows 8?

                          http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1854779&rpn=PSPBLU&modelFilter=P205D-S7439&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

                          Mike Stone

                          It looks like my replies are all over the place. When I answered to Alan it seems to come up only under his replies back to me. Maybe this is the correct way to keep the thread all together.

                          At any rate I've tried all the fixes that were recommended and no luck. I also went into the BIOS setup and can't for the life of me see where to update anything.

                          Display drivers were uninstalled then a restart and also looked for any updated versions which came back as everything is up to date.

                          I have AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-55
                          ATI Chipset ID7910

                          Should I Google something to do with these as a new direction to try.?

                          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "C. Michael Stone" wrote:

                          > That's what I said in an earlier post, but he said it does not work. We don't know if he did a BIOS update when he installed Windows 8 on the computer.
                          >

                          > Mike Stone

                        • ChadP
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 28, 2013
                            I found a Toshiba Upgrade Assistant tool on their site and this model laptop isn't on their list for a windows 8 upgrade. So I'm guessing even though 8 is working fine otherwise, some components are just going to be inoperable.

                            So far the screen brightness is the only thing not working, as far as I can tell anyway. So I guess we'll put this to rest and live with what I've got.

                            Thanks to all. Can't say we didn't try.