Re: [Simply Computers] Re: I must of changed something..Javascript?

  • David Ron
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2013
      That "Javascript:void" thing is a small bit of computer code that is
      telling your browser to do something. In this case, it's asking your
      computer to go to a site called "cloudfront.net", which is a service
      Amazon sells to other developers, to download a script that will run in
      the context of the page you are trying to pin on pinterest.

      I'm guessing the term "Top Bar" means a tool bar built into your
      browser. So, it sounds like you are either using the Pinterest
      bookmarklet or some sort of social networking toolbar. There's a good
      chance that your bookmarklet or toolbar needs to be updated for some
      reason. We don't yet have enough information to know what exactly you
      are clicking on, so we don't have enough information to provide more
      specific advice. So, I think that the best plan of action is to try to
      figure out what button you are clicking and where that button came
      from. It should be noted that no browsers that I am aware of have such
      a button be default. The user (you) has to do something to put that
      button there. Worse, there are lots of different ways to create a "pin
      it" button, and we need to know which one was used on your computer
      before we can give you a step-by-step solution. Do you remember what
      you did in order for that "pin it" button to appear inside of your browser?

      --David

      On 02/26/2013 02:12 PM, strut526 wrote:

      > > 1. What exactly is the problem you are experiencing?
      >
      > "Can not pin from a web site or blog."
      >
      > > 2. What do you click/type, what do you expect to happen, what
      > happens instead?
      >
      > "When on a blog,for example, i click on "Pin It" which is on my top
      > bar (where "sign in"/"Pin It" and "Favorites" are) i expect either the
      > picture or the blog name to come up on the Pinterest site, my page.
      > This is how it usually works.. What actually happens is nothing,,under
      > "Pin It" bar, a quick drop down comes up, with Java script:void with a
      > bunch of other info,characters with it.i have tried to copy and paste
      > it,for you to see, but it is only showing for a few seconds."
      >
      > > 3. What error messages do you get? Please be as specific as possible.
      >
      > "I hovered over it and this is what i typed..hope it is right!"
      >
      > javascript:void((function(){var
      > =document.createElement('script');e.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');e.setAttribute(charset','UTF-8');e.setAttribute('src','http://d3io1k5o0zdpqr.cloudfront.netjs/pinmar
      >
      > > 4. What changes have you made around the time the problem started?
      >
      > "I think i denied access to something i didn't recognize,when it
      > popped up."
      >
      > Dave, i have to leave for a class in a minute..and no, it is not a
      > computer class..lol i will be home around 8pm.
      > >

      > > --David
      > >

      > > On 02/26/2013 03:25 AM, strut526 wrote:
      > > >
      > > > i use pininterest quite a bit. i used to be able to "pin" things. now
      > > > all i get is "Javascript:void" .
      > > >
      > > > is there something i need to check out, to get "Pin It" to work again?
      > > >
      > > > running Win7,
      > > > I get Javascript message running Google Chrome of Foxfire.
      > > >
      > > > Kim in Michigan

    • strut526
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
        Yes, Dave, the button came from Pinterest site. it was an add on,to the toolbar, when i joined the group. I will delete the pin it button and re add it from Pinterest. I believe that should solve the problem. And you are right about the "cloudfront.net" now that you mention it..i did deny access, because i didn't recognize it, or knew what it was. In this case, "being better safe than sorry"..caused it to not work right! Thanks! Kim in Michigan