No Audio After PC Startup

  • Louis Leciejewski
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
      Greetings to this Group (I am a new member here). I have had this on and off
      again problem with my PC (Windows XP with SP3) where I have no audio devices
      listed (basically no audio) after I boot up my PC. This has been intermittant
      until yesterday and now it happens everytime I startup my PC. I have Realtek HD
      Audio and yesterday I downloaded new drivers. When I did that, my PC rebooted on
      its own and came up with great audio .... then when I shut down my PC and
      started it up again there was no audio (no audio device) again! So I did another
      download of the Realtek HD Audio Drivers and then again had great working audio
      but it went away after another power down and startup! Also, I may mention ...
      there are not Icons for Audio Realtek or Speaker Volume down in the Task Tray at
      the bottom of my PC window and when I select Sounds And Audio Device from the
      Control Panel it says "No Audio Device". I can get around on my PC pretty well
      to fix something so I thought I'd try this new Group I just joined here to see
      if anyone has ever had this issue with Windows XP. I even tried another set of
      speakers ... same problem. It all seems to be something that happens at reboot
      that kills the audio (audio devices and Realtek) upon startup. I am willing to
      try and fix this before I have to take it to my favorite PC repair shop in town
      as this is getting frustrating.

      Thanks in advance for any guidance!

      Lou

    • waltmatheus
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
        Check in Services: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
        Scroll down to Windows Audio to see if it is set at Started/Automatic.

        Also, check in Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers to see if there are any items flagged.

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Louis Leciejewski wrote:

        > Greetings to this Group (I am a new member here). I have had this on and off
        > again problem with my PC (Windows XP with SP3) where I have no audio devices
        > listed (basically no audio) after I boot up my PC. This has been intermittant
        > until yesterday and now it happens everytime I startup my PC. I have Realtek HD
        > Audio and yesterday I downloaded new drivers. When I did that, my PC rebooted on
        > its own and came up with great audio .... then when I shut down my PC and
        > started it up again there was no audio (no audio device) again! So I did another
        > download of the Realtek HD Audio Drivers and then again had great working audio
        > but it went away after another power down and startup! Also, I may mention ...
        > there are not Icons for Audio Realtek or Speaker Volume down in the Task Tray at
        > the bottom of my PC window and when I select Sounds And Audio Device from the
        > Control Panel it says "No Audio Device". I can get around on my PC pretty well
        > to fix something so I thought I'd try this new Group I just joined here to see
        > if anyone has ever had this issue with Windows XP. I even tried another set of
        > speakers ... same problem. It all seems to be something that happens at reboot
        > that kills the audio (audio devices and Realtek) upon startup. I am willing to
        > try and fix this before I have to take it to my favorite PC repair shop in town
        > as this is getting frustrating.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any guidance!
        >
        > Lou
      • Louis Leciejewski
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
          Thanks for the information on the audio ... I just checked per your post and you
          know what? This morning after my second reboot my sound/audio devices came up
          after reboot!! I now checked per your post under "Services" and YES, it does say
          "Status = Started" and "Startup Type = Automatic". I will monitor this setting
          if or when the next time my audio/audio device fails to come up during reboot.
          Under that "Services" Panel there is a tab that is for "Recovery" and "First,
          Second, and Subsequent" Failures are set to "Take No Action" ... should this be
          set to "Restart The Service" for all three? To me it seems to say if there is an
          Audio Failure on Startup then take no action unless you select "Restart The
          Service" and then it would attempt to try to start Audio again (?). Just a
          thought?

          Thanks
          Lou

          ________________________________
          Check in Services: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
          Scroll down to Windows Audio to see if it is set at Started/Automatic.

          Also, check in Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers to see if
          there are any items flagged.

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Louis Leciejewski wrote:

          > Greetings to this Group (I am a new member here). I have had this on and off
          > again problem with my PC (Windows XP with SP3) where I have no audio devices
          > listed (basically no audio) after I boot up my PC. This has been intermittant
          > until yesterday and now it happens everytime I startup my PC. I have Realtek HD
          >
          > Audio and yesterday I downloaded new drivers. When I did that, my PC rebooted
          >on
          >
          > its own and came up with great audio .... then when I shut down my PC and
          > started it up again there was no audio (no audio device) again! So I did
          >another
          >
          > download of the Realtek HD Audio Drivers and then again had great working audio
          >
          > but it went away after another power down and startup! Also, I may mention ...

          > there are not Icons for Audio Realtek or Speaker Volume down in the Task Tray
          >at
          >
          > the bottom of my PC window and when I select Sounds And Audio Device from the
          > Control Panel it says "No Audio Device". I can get around on my PC pretty well

          > to fix something so I thought I'd try this new Group I just joined here to see

          > if anyone has ever had this issue with Windows XP. I even tried another set of

          > speakers ... same problem. It all seems to be something that happens at reboot

          > that kills the audio (audio devices and Realtek) upon startup. I am willing to

          > try and fix this before I have to take it to my favorite PC repair shop in town
          >
          > as this is getting frustrating.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any guidance!
          >
          > Lou

        • waltmatheus
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
            I suggest you leave it at the default, Take No Action.

            Should you have a no audio device issue again check at that time to see if the Windows Audio Service has changed. If it has not changed then check the Device Manager for flags.

          • Vincent Winterling
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
              Hi Lou

              Welcome to Simplycomputers2.

              What's the make / model of your machine?

              Ever reinstalled the operating system in the time you've had it? Any other
              problems with machine?

              Vincent Winterling
              Vineland, NJ

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                Hi Vincent, I have a custom build PC that was done about 3 years ago. I have
                always run Windows XP and just before Christmas 2012 I encountered a bad Trojan
                where I could not type from the keyboard or even use the mouse so I had a
                computer shop check this and they had to reload my Windows XP and I had that
                audio problem soon after and they rechecked it but the audio never failed for
                them. I had it running very stable for like 2 weeks till yesterday. I reloaded
                the Realtek Drivers yesterday and this morning there was no audio after first
                startup. I then added a program that monitors files during startup to flag
                issues and the next reboot I had audio and it has been on here all day (don't
                know what will be tomorrow morning). My speakers are fine as I checked with
                another new set I had here yesterday and they also did not work like the others
                when I had "no audio" issue. I have SP 3 running too with XP and otherwise
                everything works on the PC like new and very fast .... just that erratic audio
                behavior. I now have the Realtek and Speaker Volume Icons in the System Tray at
                the bottom of my Window. The machine is a Gigabyte Motherboard that replaced my
                old Gateway Motherboard that died so I have a custom build. Thanks for your
                response.

                Lou

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                  I've had quite a few motherboards with integrated audio do that. It used
                  to be real bad, but in the last few years its been better. I would
                  suggest getting an add-on sound card. They are not very expensive.

                  Norm Higgs
                  http://forbiddenpc.com
                  http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
                  http://www.power-blog.com/info/4365