Homegroup

  • Contented
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      I have four computers.
      A dell inspiron 570 64 bit running Win 8
      A dell dimemsion 4700 32 bit running Win 7 Pro
      A toshiba tecra 32 bit running Win 7 Pro and
      A dell latitude 630 running XP pro
      I have been able to add the first three to my workgroup but cannot get the XP machine to join.
      I have tried everything I can think of, any suggestions?
    • Vincent Winterling
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        Homegroup wasn't intended for XP, just W7 and W8.

        I would recommend a non-homegoup network.

        Vincent Winterling
        Vineland, NJ

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          Thanks for responding. Will try something else.
          chucknjeanVseaavee@...
          Photographs at:http://s1081.photobucket.com/profile/seaavee
        • IKnowComputers
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
            I don't use Homegroup to network computers. If you would like assistance with doing it without Homegroup let me know.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
              Try this for xp and homegroups.

              http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17168

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                As possibly helpful as this might be it's adding a level of complexity that
                seems unnecessary. Running a basic home network works well without all the
                additional steps proposed by the article. Just my humble opinion.

                Vincent Winterling
                Vineland, NJ

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                  I agree but I included that in case they wanted to use Homegroups.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                    I want to thank everyone who responded. I can now see all my computers on the network.

                    If I experience other promlems, i will be back.

                    thanks Again