Help: Windows 7 Super slow, and constant "Not Responding"

  • wanliker@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
      Help: Windows 7 Super slow, and a constant "Not Responding" message.

      Trying to help a friend, Dell Laptop, running an Intel Core 2 Duo.
      Windows 7.
      It was super slow, so I have been checking things on it, it had never had
      windows Update ran on it, when I did so it installed over 140 updates.
      I have not changed any settings.as it had ran before with them.
      I was able to download Malwarebytes, and install it, scanned, and showed 7
      hits on it, that I had it remove???
      There is no apparent security programs on it, but I did download, and
      upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials, and it did not find anything on the
      computer, when I ran it.

      My problem is that the computer is slow, measured in minutes, and almost
      anything you click on gets the (Not Responding) notation. And can't install
      any programs, or much of anything else..

      I wanted to download a Spyware program, and run that, but it will only go
      thru the first few steps, and as soon as I click on INSTALL, where the
      installation should start, it hangs, permanently showing (Not responding).
      I have left it running overnight to see if it might respond later, did not
      happen.

      I am doing this via WiFi, and it is connecting well.
      Everything that has failed , has been ran several times to be sure it was
      consistent.

      Please Help me, as I am at a loss right now.
      Thank you,
      bill
      Alb.

    • Vincent Winterling
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
        If your friend has a recovery disk or a Windows 7 disk, I would backup
        anything of value and reformat and reinstall. When reassembled help your
        friend understand the value of running security programs. Alternatively,
        install TeamViewer so you can login to your friend's computer and checkup on
        how well your friend is doing.

        Vincent Winterling
        Vineland, NJ

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
          I would like to second Vincent's suggestions.

          Malwarebytes may have removed whatever infection it found, but the damage is already done.

          It sounds as if some System files have been corrupted.

          A computer whiz might be able to repair this computer, but they have access to tools which you don't, and know how to use them.

          In the long run, it might save you a lot of time and trouble just to reinstall Windows. Be sure to backup any of your friend's important data files to CD/DVD or external hard drive, first.

          You can also try opening a Command Prompt window (it's in Programs, Accessories) and type:

          sfc /scannow

          (notice there are two "n" 's in scannow, and be sure to type a space before the /)

          You can also try doing a System Restore back to the earliest date possible.

          If you don't have the original Windows CD for this computer, you may be able to get one from the manufacturer for a few bucks.

          rogerX

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, wanliker@... wrote:

          > Help: Windows 7 Super slow, and a constant "Not Responding" message.
          >
          > Trying to help a friend, Dell Laptop, running an Intel Core 2 Duo.
          > Windows 7.
          > It was super slow, so I have been checking things on it, it had never had
          > windows Update ran on it, when I did so it installed over 140 updates.
          > I have not changed any settings.as it had ran before with them.
          > I was able to download Malwarebytes, and install it, scanned, and showed 7
          > hits on it, that I had it remove???
          > There is no apparent security programs on it, but I did download, and
          > upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials, and it did not find anything on the
          > computer, when I ran it.
          >
          > My problem is that the computer is slow, measured in minutes, and almost
          > anything you click on gets the (Not Responding) notation. And can't install
          > any programs, or much of anything else..
          >
          > I wanted to download a Spyware program, and run that, but it will only go
          > thru the first few steps, and as soon as I click on INSTALL, where the
          > installation should start, it hangs, permanently showing (Not responding).
          > I have left it running overnight to see if it might respond later, did not
          > happen.
          >
          > I am doing this via WiFi, and it is connecting well.
          > Everything that has failed , has been ran several times to be sure it was
          > consistent.
          >
          > Please Help me, as I am at a loss right now.
          > Thank you,
          > bill
          > Alb.

        • C. Michael Stone
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
            You stated you installed Malwarebytes on the laptop. There is no need to install a "Spyware" program as Malwarebytes accomplishes the need for that.

            If you feel the need to run another scan tool you could use ESET. it is an on-line scanner so you do not need to download and install it.

            http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

            I have found that most of these slow computer problems lately have been caused by some corrupt program files. There is a way of determining what is causing the problem, but as Roger and Vincent have stated it takes quite some time and some knowledge to accomplish this and doing a re-install is certainly faster and more effective for most people.

            Besides you will get good at downloading and install all those updates again........Download and install Service Pack 1 first to make your job easier.

            Mike Stone

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
              Roger I got a command Prompt, however it is in the following form:

              *******

              E-mail: _xxxxxxx@..._ (mailto:xxxxxxx@...)

              Website: _www.rtwincustomize.net_ (http://www.rtwincustomize.net)

              C:|Users\cat>
              C:|Users\cat>

              *******

              When I enter SFC /scannow, Enter

              I get the following message:

              "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the
              sfc utility"

              Followed by the same command prompt.

              I guess I need help on trying to see if I can run as administrator.

              Incidentally, Trying to open either the e-mail, or the Website URL, does
              nothing.

              Thank You,
              bill
              Alb.

              _Reply to sender _
              (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20Help:%20Windows%207%20Super%20slow,%20and%20constant%20"Not%20Responding") . _Reply
              to group _
              (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Help:%20Windows%207%20Super%20slow,%20and%20constant%20"Not%20Responding") . _Reply
              via Web Post _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzaW5iNm0yBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0
              lkAzIyMzI5NgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0Mzc4Mzgz?act=reply&message
              Num=223296) . _All Messages (3) _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223291;_ylc=X3oDMTM5NzZzdHEzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1Mj
              gEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzI5NgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQ
              MxMzU0Mzc4MzgzBHRwY0lkAzIyMzI5MQ--) . _Top ^ _
              (mip://08f6fc10/default.html#toc)

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                  See the directions here for running the command prompt as admin:

                  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx

                  Vincent Winterling
                  Vineland, NJ

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Whenever you get a message that you must run as Administrator, close Command Prompt, then located it again in the menus.

                    RIGHT click on it once, then click "Run as Administrator".

                    However, you have more problems than that.

                    You should not be getting any of what you described when you open a Command Prompt window!

                    I don't know what "rtwincustomize" is, so Google for it. It seems harmless enough, but is a website for downloading many Windows tweaks, customizations, registry hacks, etc.

                    You may have done something like this at one time, and it did not install correctly, now you have a mess.

                    I would pursue reinstalling Windows, deleting your current Windows partition and creating a new one in the process.

                    Be sure to make good backups of your important files first.

                  • wanliker@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                      Roger, I am beginning to think it is time to jack up the radiator cap, and
                      drive a new one under it.

                      She has been sick, so I have not been able to talk to her to see if she has
                      any back-up discs or not.
                      I know I had to make them for my computers right after I bought them.
                      Also I know the HD is not full, but not sure what she has saved, because I
                      did not snoop around.
                      When I open Control panel or anything like that, it usually comes into
                      view, but with nothing except the frame and (not responding), but wait about 5
                      minutes and it will then show everything in it, click on anything, and it
                      again immediately shows the NR Message, almost anything I click on is the
                      same, some will finally load, others never do, so I have to shut them down,
                      and try again, takes hours to try to check anything. I agree on the
                      command prompt, been a while since I have used it, but never seen anything like
                      that, like it is keeping a history, but clicking any of the other stuff just
                      brings up the NR message. I did look it up on another computer, and I
                      need to talk to her about what she did with that site?

                      1a
                      _Re: slow to boot and show desktop _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223325;_ylc=X3oDMTJzZzRzMnJ0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA
                      1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGl
                      tZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:25 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"vibroman7" vibroman7 _
                      (mailto:jigsaw7@...?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop)

                      took it off long ago.

                      --- In _simplycomputers2@simplycomputsim_
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com) , "C. Michael Stone" <Enots123@..E> wrote:

                      > Does your laptop also have McAfee on it. or have you taken it
                      off?...Toshiba ships them with McAfee installed

                      From: _simplycomputers2@simplycomputsim_

                      <vincewinterling@vin> wrote:

                      > Yes, I would recommend a scan with Malwarebytes.
                      >
                      > You did not answer my question regarding startup programs. Can you
                      > check Ccleaner under tools and double check what you starting up when
                      > Windows starts?
                      >
                      > Last, what is "acting oddly?"
                      >
                      > Vincent Winterling
                      > Vineland, NJ

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:vincewinterling@...?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop) .
                      g2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyNwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw?act=reply
                      &messageNum=223327) . _All Messages (12) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223315;_ylc=X3oDMTM5cHE2OXVjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkA
                      zYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyNwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwY
                      wRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMzMxNQ--) . _Top ^ _
                      (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      1d
                      _Re: slow to boot and show desktop _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223333;_ylc=X3oDMTJzcHBkN3YzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA
                      1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGl
                      tZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:56 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"C. Michael Stone" mike_s456 _
                      (mailto:Enots123@...?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop)

                      I found that often the slow boot is caused by a corrupt program file If
                      you go into msconfig and disable all the services except those from Microsoft
                      and then restart the computer and see if the boot time is back to normal.
                      If you want to try that I can give you specific directions if you need them.

                      Mike Stone

                      Im not sure I understand about cc cleaner. I click my icon it comes up.
                      Are you suggesting to try it another way ?

                      Thankyou.

                      --- In _simplycomputers2@simplycomputsim_
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com) , "Vincent Winterling" <vincewinterling@vin> wrote:

                      > Yes, I would recommend a scan with Malwarebytes.
                      >
                      > You did not answer my question regarding startup programs. Can you check
                      > Ccleaner under tools and double check what you starting up when Windows
                      > starts?
                      >
                      > Last, what is "acting oddly?"
                      >
                      > Vincent Winterling
                      > Vineland, NJ

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:Enots123@...?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop) . _Reply via
                      Web Post _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzYXRmOTNtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0l
                      kAzIyMzMzMwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw?act=reply&messageN
                      um=223333) . _All Messages (12) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223315;_ylc=X3oDMTM5Y3QwdnExBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1Mj
                      gEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQ
                      MxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMzMxNQ--) . _Top ^ _
                      (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      1e
                      _Re: slow to boot and show desktop _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223339;_ylc=X3oDMTJzczhwY2IzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA
                      1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzOQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGl
                      tZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 10:35 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"RogerX19" rogerx19 _
                      (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop)

                      Hello,

                      I see Mike and Vincent have already given you the tests we normally
                      suggest, and those have not fixed the problem.

                      For one thing, it may not be a software problem. You may have something
                      defective in the computer (memory, hard drive, bad solder connection, etc.)
                      that is causing the problem.

                      The computer is only 6 months old, so you may need to return it for
                      warranty repair/replacement.

                      Be sure to make copies of your important files before you do, the tech
                      will probably erase everything and start over.

                      One thing you can try is Safe Mode. When the computer first boots up,
                      before you would expect to see the first Windows logo, start pressing the F8
                      key on the keyboard.

                      You should get a Troubleshooting menu, and there should be a selection for
                      Safe Mode. Try that and see how long it takes to finish booting.

                      (The keys to press may be slightly different on your computer, so let us
                      know if this does not work for you)

                      Safe Mode is a basic version of Windows, with a lot of the background
                      stuff temporarily disabled. It is a troubleshooting step, and may give us some
                      good information.

                      let us know how it goes

                      rogerX

                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com) , "C. Michael Stone" <Enots123@> wrote:

                      > > Does your laptop also have McAfee on it. or have you taken it
                      off?...Toshiba ships them with McAfee installed

                      > > Mike Stone

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20slow%20to%20boot%20and%20show%20desktop) .
                      g2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzOQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0N
                      DczMzMw?act=reply&messageNum=223339) . _All Messages (12) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223315;_ylc=X3oDMTM5YnU3bzg4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkA
                      zYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzOQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwY
                      wRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMzMxNQ--) . _Top ^ _
                      (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      2a
                      _Re: croppping software _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223328;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNGc2YjNrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3
                      BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMzU0ND
                      czMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:31 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"waltmatheus" waltmatheus _
                      (mailto:no_reply@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20croppping%20software)

                      I use Photofiltre (free).
                      _http://www.photofilhttp://www.http://www.htt_
                      (http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm)

                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com) , Linda McCann <lindacal@..l> wrote:

                      > Picasa will do it...you have to remember to save a copy of each cropped
                      photo because If you just hit Save, that won't do it...Picasa' Picasa will
                      do it...you have to remember to save a copy of each cropped photo because
                      If you just hit Save, that won't do it...Picasa'<W

                      > Linda
                      >

                      > On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:24 PM, "IKnowComputers" <iknowcomputers@ikn> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I scannd a bunch of photos 4 or more to a page. I then used paint to
                      separate the photos. I now have photos with a lot of white space around
                      them. I am looking for something easy and simple to remove this white space and
                      just leave the photos. Paint won't do it. I have access to photo shop and
                      illustrator but don' want to spend the time to figure out how to use them.
                      Any suggestions on something simple to use/learn?

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:no_reply@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20croppping%20software) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20croppping%20software) . _Reply via Web Post _
                      ElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDc
                      nBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw?act=reply&messageNum=223328) . _All Messages
                      (7) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223297;_ylc=X3oDMTM5OW12MjVkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ
                      0lkAzIyMzMyOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMzI5N
                      w--) . _Top ^ _ (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      2b
                      _Re: croppping software _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223331;_ylc=X3oDMTJzMTFlMmU1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3
                      BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMzU0ND
                      czMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:40 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"emailshere" atgeeoh _
                      (mailto:emailshere@...?subject=Re:%20croppping%20software)

                      Just a tip for your next scanning project: Most scanners allow you to drag
                      the scan frame in close to the subject. Assuming your scanner has that
                      capability, you might not need to crop them with some other program.

                      SB

                      (mailto:emailshere@...?subject=Re:%20croppping%20software) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20croppping%20software) . _Reply via Web Post _
                      cElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsD
                      cnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw?act=reply&messageNum=223331) . _All Messages
                      (7) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223297;_ylc=X3oDMTM5aGRuMmx1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1z
                      Z0lkAzIyMzMzMQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMzI5
                      Nw--) . _Top ^ _ (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      3.1
                      _Re: High speed internet and games _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223329;_ylc=X3oDMTJzdm10bWsxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA
                      1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyOQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGl
                      tZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:37 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"choppbobby" choppbobby _
                      (mailto:choppbobby@...?subject=Re:%20High%20speed%20internet%20and%20games)

                      Thanks for the reply.
                      This morning I ran a speed test. With FF: Download:7.29 MBS,Upload:3.This
                      mo
                      With IE: 33.31 and 4.05.
                      I don't do gaming, but my wife plays something once in a while, so gaming
                      isn't important, but I suppose if I could get faster games I would get
                      faster everything else.
                      Even with 30 MBS some videos are still jerky. I was trying to watch a
                      video from Fliker, but I finally just gave up it was so bad.
                      I'm going to contact Mozilla about this before I try Chrome.
                      Bob

                      > Try Google's Chrome for online gaming, it has a lot of the same
                      extensions as Firefox does. It also has some free games, etc. after you log in. I
                      find it handy that I can take them from computer to computer, after I log in.

                      > Firefox can get slowed down by downloads and cookies, perhaps other
                      history and malware on Windows, too.

                      > Joan in Reno

                      problem. Also with FF streaming videos are jerky and slow, but not with IE.

                      > In Yahoo Groups with FF posting takes a while to type. The keystrokes
                      are delayed several seconds which is confusing, and deleting a line of text
                      is extremely slow. This does not happen with IE.

                      > Bob
                      >

                      > > I just upgraded my internet speed from 1.5 MB to 47 MB.
                      >
                      > > My wife plays some Candystand games, and she says the games aren't any
                      faster with the new speed.

                      > > Could my AVG firewall settings have an effect? Anything else I should
                      consider?

                      > > Bob

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:choppbobby@...?subject=Re:%20High%20speed%20internet%20and%20games) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20High%20speed%20internet%20and%20games) . _Reply via
                      Web Post _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNDRpYTByBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG
                      1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyOQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw?act
                      =reply&messageNum=223329) . _All Messages (119) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/221925;_ylc=X3oDMTM5bGRxajdyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1M
                      jgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMyOQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZ
                      QMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMTkyNQ--) . _Top ^ _
                      (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      3.2
                      _Re: High speed internet and games _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223330;_ylc=X3oDMTJzMDQ5ZzYxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA
                      1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGl
                      tZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:39 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"choppbobby" choppbobby _
                      (mailto:choppbobby@...?subject=Re:%20High%20speed%20internet%20and%20games)

                      Thanks,
                      I am going to contact Mozilla's tech support to see what they say.
                      Bob

                      > I have never experienced a slowing problem with FireFox...maybe you need
                      to uninstall your version and then install the latest version and see if
                      you still have the problem.

                      > Mike Stone

                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzazExbWkzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0l
                      kAzIyMzMzMARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw?act=reply&messageN
                      um=223330) . _All Messages (119) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/221925;_ylc=X3oDMTM5cXFmY2NvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1M
                      jgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZ
                      QMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMTkyNQ--) . _Top ^ _
                      (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      3.3
                      _Re: High speed internet and games _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223332;_ylc=X3oDMTJzcGRyanM3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA
                      1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGl
                      tZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:56 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"C. Michael Stone" mike_s456 _
                      (mailto:Enots123@...?subject=Re:%20High%20speed%20internet%20and%20games)

                      Bob

                      The next thing to do is to remove Firefox and re-install a new copy...I
                      bet that will fix the problem.

                      Mike Stone

                      This morning I ran a speed test. With FF: Download:7.29 MBS,Upload:3.This
                      mo
                      With IE: 33.31 and 4.05.
                      I don't do gaming, but my wife plays something once in a while, so gaming
                      isn't important, but I suppose if I could get faster games I would get
                      faster everything else.
                      Even with 30 MBS some videos are still jerky. I was trying to watch a
                      video from Fliker, but I finally just gave up it was so bad.
                      I'm going to contact Mozilla about this before I try Chrome.
                      Bob

                      > Try Google's Chrome for online gaming, it has a lot of the same
                      extensions as Firefox does. It also has some free games, etc. after you log in. I
                      find it handy that I can take them from computer to computer, after I log in.

                      > Firefox can get slowed down by downloads and cookies, perhaps other
                      history and malware on Windows, too.

                      > Joan in Reno

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:Enots123@...?subject=Re:%20High%20speed%20internet%20and%20games) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20High%20speed%20internet%20and%20games) . _Reply via Web
                      Post _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzdGJxN2pnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzI
                      yMzMzMgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw?act=reply&messageNum=2
                      23332) . _All Messages (119) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/221925;_ylc=X3oDMTM5OTFzZnUzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ
                      3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzMgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxM
                      zU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMTkyNQ--) . _Top ^ _
                      (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      4a
                      _Re: How Best to Test Seagate ST31500341AS _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223334;_ylc=X3oDMTJzMzI4MWhiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycEl
                      kAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzNARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1
                      zZwRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 10:06 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"RogerX19" rogerx19 _
                      (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20How%20Best%20to%20Test%20Seagate%20ST31500341AS)

                      Ellen,

                      One other thing to consider. Your drive is only two years old and is
                      probably warranted for three years.

                      In order to return it to Seagate for warranty replacement, you will have
                      to get an RMA number from them.

                      To get that, they will ask you to run SeaTools. The results of the
                      SeaTools test will determine whether an RMA is justified.

                      You asked if SeaTools is reliable, but it does not matter. As long as the
                      drive is not completely dead, you will need to run it to RMA the drive.

                      rogerX

                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com) , "Bill Aycock" <billaycock@> wrote:

                      > > Ellen--
                      > > Ardell's advice, below, is very sound, as usual. However, Let me add
                      > > something. As soon as possible, get (Or use, if you have one) an extra
                      HDD
                      > > to use as a back-up, and make an Image of your system, just in case.
                      (You
                      > > should have one, anyway) This way, is the drive IS bad, you can
                      replace it
                      > > and reload the system, and be where you are now.
                      > > Bill--W4BSG

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20How%20Best%20to%20Test%20Seagate%20ST31500341AS) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20How%20Best%20to%20Test%20Seagate%20ST
                      31500341AS) . _Reply via Web Post _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzMGIwYnFpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3
                      BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzNARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzU0ND
                      czMzMw?act=reply&messageNum=223334) . _All Messages (6) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223304;_ylc=X3oDMTM5dGpsZm1xBF9TAzk3Mz
                      U5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzNARzZWMDZG
                      1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMzMwNA--) . _Top ^ _
                      (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      5a
                      _Re: My Lap top do not recognise USB phone _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223335;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNzluYnIxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycEl
                      kAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1
                      zZwRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 10:08 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"RogerX19" rogerx19 _
                      (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20My%20Lap%20top%20do%20not%20recognise%20USB%20phone)

                      Dear Sir,

                      Your best resource is probably the website of the manufacturer of the USB
                      phone.

                      They should have a Support section, possibly with a Knowledge Base or FAQs
                      that you can read through. Also a Community Forum, where other people are
                      discussing the same problem.

                      rogerX

                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com) , "Raju'O Ninan" <ashraju@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Sir,
                      >
                      > How do I solve this problem as my Lenova do not recognise my voip USB
                      phone.

                      > Regards
                      > Raju Ninan

                      _Reply to sender _
                      (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20My%20Lap%20top%20do%20not%20recognise%20USB%20phone) . _Reply to group _
                      (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20My%20Lap%20top%20do%20not%20recog
                      nise%20USB%20phone) . _Reply via Web Post _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzbGRsNGxhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1Mj
                      gEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQ
                      MxMzU0NDczMzMw?act=reply&messageNum=223335) . _All Messages (2) _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223309;_ylc=X3oDMTM5ZG1xdmJjBF
                      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzNQ
                      RzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMwBHRwY0lkAzIyMzMwOQ--) . _Top
                      ^ _ (mip://08dd8d60/default.html#toc)

                      6a
                      _Re: Help: Windows 7 Super slow, and constant "Not Responding" _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/message/223336;_ylc=X3oDMTJzY3RxcDZtBF
                      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjA1MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTE1Mzg2BG1zZ0lkAzIyMzMzNg
                      RzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMzU0NDczMzMw)

                      Sun Dec 2, 2012 10:20 am (PST) . Posted by:
                      _"RogerX19" rogerx19 _
                      (mailto:helpmeroger@...?subject=Re:%20Help:%20Windows%207%20Super%20slow,%20and%20constant%20"Not%20Responding")

                      Whenever you get a message that you must run as Administrator, close
                      Command Prompt, then located it again in the menus.

                      RIGHT click on it once, then click "Run as Administrator"R

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
                        Vincent/Roger/Mike,

                        I got into Administrator last night, and was able to run: SFC /scannow. I
                        didn't see anything there that was alarming, but after I did the scan, I
                        was able to do a defrag, took 9 passes for it to finish, and about two 1/2
                        hours to finish it. It was at 7% fragmation.

                        I called the owner tonight, and she said it was a used computer, and she
                        did not get any discs with it.
                        There is a title to click to make restoration discs, would it do any good
                        now? Would the disc show what Dell/Windows put in it when it was mfg. Or
                        what has been modified since then?

                        I have CCleaner downloaded, as well as AVAST, but they still won't
                        install, I hit INSTALL, and they both go to "Not Responding" yet. Also the Box
                        for the Install also goes pale in color.

                        Easy Fix Tools is installed, should I try it? I looked online, and there
                        were some negative reports about it, saying not to run it???

                        If I don't know what something is, I do run a search and see what I can
                        find out about it before I consider running it

                        Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:44 am (PST) . Posted by:
                        _"Vincent Winterling" vincentwinterling _
                        (mailto:vincewinterling@...?subject=Re:%20Help:%20Windows%207%20Super%20slow,%20and%20constant%20"Not%20
                        Responding")

                        See the directions here for running the command prompt as admin:

                        _http://technet.http://techttp://techttp://technet._

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
                          See this thread regarding Easy Fix Tools:

                          At this point you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain if you can make the
                          restore disks.

                          Vincent Winterling
                          Vineland, NJ

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
                            I would make the restore disks.

                            But I would wait until she is feeling better before I ran them.

                            You need to determine if there is anything on the computer that she needs, and that you need to make copies of.

                            The restore disks may wipe the computer clean before restoring Windows.

                            We have a number of computer techs in this Group who could probably repair that computer without deleting everything, but you would have to get it to them (ship it or drive it over)

                            If I had it here, I would run the restore disks.

                            The restore will set the computer back to the way it was when new, but will not show what has been modified since (to answer your question)

                            There's a possiblity that the restore disks will just restore Windows, and leave her personal files intact, but you won't know that until you run them. So make any necessary backups first.

                            There's also a possiblity that if the computer was infected with malware at one time, that the restore files are corrupted also. But you won't know until you try running the restore program.

                            good luck

                            rogerX

                            --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, wanliker@... wrote:

                            > Vincent/Roger/Mike,
                            >
                            > I got into Administrator last night, and was able to run: SFC /scannow. I
                            > didn't see anything there that was alarming, but after I did the scan, I
                            > was able to do a defrag, took 9 passes for it to finish, and about two 1/2
                            > hours to finish it. It was at 7% fragmation.
                            >

                            > I called the owner tonight, and she said it was a used computer, and she
                            > did not get any discs with it.
                            > There is a title to click to make restoration discs, would it do any good
                            > now? Would the disc show what Dell/Windows put in it when it was mfg. Or
                            > what has been modified since then?
                            >
                            > I have CCleaner downloaded, as well as AVAST, but they still won't
                            > install, I hit INSTALL, and they both go to "Not Responding" yet. Also the Box
                            > for the Install also goes pale in color.
                            >
                            > Easy Fix Tools is installed, should I try it? I looked online, and there
                            > were some negative reports about it, saying not to run it???
                            >
                            > If I don't know what something is, I do run a search and see what I can
                            > find out about it before I consider running it
                            >

                            > Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:44 am (PST) . Posted by:
                            > _"Vincent Winterling" vincentwinterling _
                            > (mailto:vincewinterling@...?subject=Re:%20Help:%20Windows%207%20Super%20slow,%20and%20constant%20"Not%20
                            > Responding")
                            >
                            > See the directions here for running the command prompt as admin:
                            >
                            > _http://technet.http://techttp://techttp://technet._
                            > (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813) (v=ws.10).aspx
                            >
                            > Vincent Winterling
                            > Vineland, NJ