Re: [Simply Computers] Missing or Corrupt File - /Windows/System 32/Config/System

  • Bill Kingsbury
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2012
      ( What Windows version is it? )

      Get the file named: 'system' (the name has no extension) from:

      C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack ......... (if that exists).

      ...or, from a backup -- or from a system restore point.

      'system' (the file) is part of the registry, that's customized for only that computer.

      (Also, try going to that 'config' folder and see if there are any backup copies there.)

      Bill

      --- At 10:29 AM 31, 31 05 2012, ms8miranda wrote:

      >My friend's computer won't open Windows. He gets a message that says,
      > "Windows can not start because of missing or corrupt file:
      >
      > /Windows/system32/config/system
      >
      > You can attempt to fix this by inserting CD and hitting R on
      > first window."
      >
      >When he puts the CD in, it doesn't do anything. He tried restarting with disc in and still nothing.
      >
      >What can he do?

    • Bill Kingsbury
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2012
        To clarify -- as RogerX19 noted -- you'll need to use the Recovery Console
        to do what I was describing.

        Then find another, recent copy of the file named 'system', and copy it to;
        C:\Windows\System32\config\

        ( Or else use a Linux Live Boot CD to debug Windows... Many are found here:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_live_CDs ............ also see:
        http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/download-50-cool-uses-for-live-cds )

        Another thing:

        It's very unlikely that the 'system' file just disappeared. There might have
        been a bad spot on the hard drive, that can be fixed.. However Windows can
        only: "locate bad sectors and recovers readable information", using

        CHKDSK /R (...from the Recovery Console)

        But you can often recover the -entire- lost file, -and- repair the NTFS hard
        drive to "like new" condition, by using this (not free) program:

        SpinRite v6 - http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

        Bill