Re: [Simply Computers] Re: HI, I am a new user of Ubuntu, and when I did an install from C

  • David Ron
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2012
      Can you describe precisely what you want to uninstall back to? Did you back
      up your computer before installing Ubuntu?

      --David
      Please pardon my terseness; sent from my mobile device.
      On May 1, 2012 12:21 PM, "Walrus" <tetvet1967@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Vince, you getting angry is not helping. Does Recuva uninstall Ubuntu?
      > Does it reformat and then recover my files? How do I get it to find the
      > D: now that I cannot see it while using XP and windows????
      > Are those better questions then How to uninstall Ubuntu, how to install it
      > the way I was trying to.??????
      > rod

    • RogerX19
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2012
        Hi rod

        As you probably know, email (including messaging in Groups like this) is not the best form of communication. We sometimes feel that people are mad/upset/rude etc. because of how we interpret what they typed.

        If we were to talk to the person directly, we would find out that that may not be the case at all.

        I have been reading Vincent's advice in this Group for a couple years now, and I don't recall him ever getting angry with anyone!

        Anyway, just thought I'd mention that.

        On a side note, we are all here to help you as best we can. In return, we ask people who post questions here to "continue the thread". By that I mean: to Reply to the message that you just read, rather than starting a new one.

        That way we can keep track of what has been asked, and what solutions have been suggested.

        As far as uninstalling Ubuntu, I forgot to address that.

        As Brendan said, Recuva will not uninstall anything.

        If Ubuntu installed a Boot Menu (when you boot your computer you get a choice of which to boot to, Windows or Ubuntu), you will have to fix that first.

        You will need to edit the boot menu file in Ubuntu so that Windows is the default choice. (We'll walk you through this when we get to that point)

        After you have set your computer to boot to Windows by default, I believe you can just delete the Ubuntu partitions. (If I'm wrong about that, someone correct me please)

        But do not touch Ubuntu yet. If it is installed over the files that you want to recover, don't do anything with it.

        I believe you said you can boot into Windows, if so you can do that, and then download Recuva from the link that Vincent gave you.

        As long as you install it into your old C: drive, it should not overwrite itself onto any of the files you want to recover on your old D:drive.

        Please note that it's often recommended to remove the drive you want to recover and plug it into another computer as a second drive before running the Recovery program, but you may not be prepared to do that.

        Finally, Recuva is a free program, so it may or may not be able to recover the files you need.

        I've had very good luck with "File Scavenger", but it's $50.00 .

        Hope this helps.

        And please continue the thread.

        thanks

        rogerX

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Walrus <tetvet1967@...> wrote:

        > Vince,  you getting angry is not helping.  Does Recuva uninstall Ubuntu?  Does it reformat and then recover my files?  How do I get it to find the D: now that I cannot see it while using XP and windows????
        > Are those better questions then How to uninstall Ubuntu, how to install it the way I was trying to.??????
        > rod

      • RogerX19
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2012
          Rod,

          I just noticed your messages under a different Subject line ... the one about the Piriform Support.

          You said you can boot the computer with XP, but XP can't see the Ubuntu partition.

          Don't be concerned about this ... Recuva looks for files on the hard drive, regardless of whether Windows can see them or not.

          It runs on a deeper level, so to speak.

          Brendan and Piriform are correct .. you cannot use Recuva on a computer running Ubuntu, but you're running XP.

          Just go ahead and download the Recuva, and have it look at the Ubuntu partition (it may call it something like Disk 0 Partition 1 or something)

          As long as you can boot to Windows, go ahead and run Recuva and see what it can find.

          rogerX

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Walrus <tetvet1967@...> wrote:

          > Vince,  you getting angry is not helping.  Does Recuva uninstall Ubuntu?  Does it reformat and then recover my files?  How do I get it to find the D: now that I cannot see it while using XP and windows????
          > Are those better questions then How to uninstall Ubuntu, how to install it the way I was trying to.??????
          > rod

        • Johneclinard
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2012
            Have you tried ubuntulinux@yahoogroups.com ? They might have some ideas. Your files are there. You just need to get at them and there is a ton of Linux software out there.