Re: Can't play AVI files ?

  • waltmatheus
    Message 1 of 60 , Aug 1, 2011
      "The default distribution of VLC includes a large number of free decoding and encoding libraries, avoiding the need for finding/calibrating proprietary plugins. Many of VLC's codecs are provided by the libavcodec library from the FFmpeg project, but it uses mainly its own muxer and demuxers."
      Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

      So, although you "neeeeeever installed any codec" VLC did.

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "spud" <grandamfirebird@...> wrote:

      > I neeeeeever installed any codec on any machine I have ever built. Just VLC.And all workked perfect on all machines i have built. And that is a ton of machines. One thing,I have seen codecs really hose a computer so bad people had to bring them to me to fix,,
      >
      > I have had peeps bring in machines where installed those codec Lite packs and the games they had would not even play.. Now I need to mention I am running Win-7 here and all 6 machines in my home.This a very good conversation about this topic. Perpaps I will learn something/or perhaps u will. VLC also runs perfect with no codec download on XP machines....If i am missing something please let me know, ok ? But I really want to fix this guys issue ,and it sounds like you do too ( ;:)
      >

      > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, B Welkin <welkinator@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually, you do. And. for you, there is a working set already installed.
      > >
      > > Go to Control Panel | Sounds | Hardware (tab) and
      > > find Audio Codecs and select it. Then click the
      > > Properties button (below the list) and then the
      > > Properties tab to see your installed Audio
      > > codecs. Going back to the list under Hardware,
      > > find Video Codecs and follow the same procedure.
      > >
      > > For XP - other OSes may vary.
      > >
      > > Really, you have to have codecs or nutin' A/V would work!
      > >
      > > ...Bryce
      > >
      > > At 11:29 PM 7/31/2011, you wrote:
      > > >I have never needed any Codec to play any AVI/DIVX file,Just sayin'
      > > >
      > > >--- In
      > > ><mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com,

      > > > <http://free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm>http://free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm

      > > > ailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com,

    • emailshere
      Message 60 of 60 , Aug 14, 2011
        Thanks Roger. Exactly the answer I needed.

        SB