Re: [Simply Computers] Cleaning & Updating A Slow Computer

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011
      Thank you for your response, Vince.

      After spending some time with the first stage of cleaning on Tuesday, & finding no major security issues at that point, it seemed a good guess to me that the slow pace might be due to outdated hardware & programs. By the time I returned yesterday, she had decided she wantes to get a professional assessment of it & perhaps go to a new laptop, so we decided not to go any further with the cleaning & updating, until she makes a decision. Haven't talked to her yet today, so still not sure what the update is.

      The few programs I downloaded seemed to slow it down for her so I removed them & it picked up a bit, really not too bad at all for its age - thinking, again, it was just a bit of a struggle for it. But at least we did get to clean out a good portion & determine she had no security issues. Just 'old age', I guess.

      Will keep you updated.

      Thanks again.

      Linda

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Winterling" <vwinterling@...> wrote:

      > You're on the right path, but other than a spring cleaning it's hard to help
      > you with your ultimate goals as you've stated you don't know what hardware
      > you're looking at. For someone who apparently uses her pc as infrequently as
      > it is used, I wouldn't invest much money in it (or your time), particularly
      > Office 2010.
      >
      > For that age of that machine I would keep Office 2002 on it, do all the
      > updates, ensure it has current anti-virus and anti-malware, a decent
      > firewall, clean it inside and out, and rest easy - particularly if she's
      > getting a laptop.
      >
      > Vincent Winterling
      > Vineland, NJ

    • Linda
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011
        Hi Alan,

        Thank you for your response.

        We didn't get to the defrag & software updating on Tuesday, but as I was telling Vince in my response to him, when I returned yesterday she had decided to get a professional assessment before going ahead with any more work. After running the programs I did on Tuesday, we found no security issues at all - as Vince guessed, she does not use it alot, only for email, reading the NYTimes & a tad bit of research here & there - so my guess at that time was the age factor, as we all seem to be in agreement on. We'll see what she decides. Only problem is, when you get those special laptop deals for under $600, they prsent problems not long after, or so it happened with me because most of the hardware was on the low end (if I'm explaining it corectly). Two years later I ended up updating (processor, speed, memory), becuase it had become such a nightmare. Well, we'll see.

        I have 2 other questions, about CCleaner & WebRep, but will post those separately so this doesn't get too long & involced.

        Thanks again, Alan. Tons of great info that i'll save!

        Linda