Re: [Simply Computers] Toshiba Satellite A60 laptop won't mount optical drive

  • jwayne99ca
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hi Guys:
      Thanks for the suggestions. The drive is SATA.
      I should point out that this is not a software problem. The computer, not Windows, doesn't see the drive. If I run a diagnostic program, it identifies the drive as disconnected. As I said, if I replace the new with the old, the computer immediately finds the drive and it appears in Windows.
      I'm sure the problem is with the drive itself. It is a Panasonic model and, when I looked it up on the Internet, there were many negative comments.
      The only reason I'd like to get the drive to work is that my recovery program is on a DVD and the old drive, being out of calibration, will not read a DVD. It reads CDs all right but if you record a CD on it and play that CD on another machine, the music is fine for a while and then the sound just disappears because the drive has wandered off the track.
      This is all supposition on my part. I know some things about computers but I am far from an expert. I seem to get lost with each new edition of Windows.
      I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience with the internal workings of such a drive. I'm thinking it could be something as simple as a cable or wire not being properly seated. If it is a faulty chip, then the game is over.
      Again, thanks for all your support and suggestions.
      Wayne

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Norm Higgs <norm@...> wrote:

      > Is the drive an IDE or SATA?
      >
      > Norm Higgs
      > http://forbiddenpc.com
      > http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
      > http://www.power-blog.com/info/4365
      > http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276
      >

      > jwayne99ca wrote:
      > > Hi Norm:
      > > I have looked at the BIOS and there is nothing there pointing to the optical drive. It's funny but if I pull the new drive and replace it with the old, the computer finds it with no problem. All I can think of is that there must be a cable or wire that is not connecting. But I don't know enough about CD optical drives to make an intelligent search.
      > > BTW, the old drive is out of calibration but it seems no one makes that adjustment anymore.
      > > I miss the days when Win98 was around and that era of BIOS which let you set slave/master configuration for the computer. At least you knew where to look. My first computer, a Zenith Z-89 even came with its own calibration software for the floppy drives.
      > > Now, the computer is supposed to fix all this by itself.
      > > If you have any suggestions about testing the connectors it would be appreciated.
      > > Wayne
      > >
      > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Norm Higgs <norm@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Have you resolved this yet?
      > >>
      > >> Sometimes the BIOS is not set to autodetect the drives at boot. go into
      > >> the BIOS and see if you can redetect the drives. If the new drive is
      > >> still not detected, you may have a problem with the controller.
      > >>
      > >> Norm Higgs
      > >> http://forbiddenpc.com
      > >> http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
      > >> http://www.power-blog.com/info/4365
      > >> http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276
      > >>

      > --
      > Norm Higgs
      > http://forbiddenpc.com
      > http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
      > http://www.power-blog.com/info/4365
      > http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276

    • b welkin
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hi,

        I have seen you struggle with this and quite a number of posts to help you resolve the problem. If in fact the drive is just dysfunctional - which was one of your earliest diagnostic results - then I cant understand why you are spending so much time over replacing a $16 item.

        As I mentioned in one of my first posts on this, eBay has a slew of these drives: here's a used one:
        http://snipurl.com/yjhes
        $16 FREE shipping - used.

        I obviously cannot know how much you value your time but IMHO you must be reaching the point where it is less expensive to buy a used drive than to continue struggling.

        ...Bryce

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
          Well, I would have conclude that you received a defective drive. If you
          cannot get the system to recognize the drive in the BIOS, then your only
          recourse is to RMA the drive back to where you got it and get another
          one. Messing around in the internals is simply a waste of time since
          there is nothing in there that is 'field replaceable'

          --
          Norm Higgs
          http://forbiddenpc.com
          http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
          http://www.power-blog.com/info/4365
          http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276
        • Darrian
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
            I concur.  If the problem is the drive, buy a NEW drive (never buy used hard drives) and if your COA is legible, let me know which os it's for and I'll help you iwth it.

            Call Darrian at 317-796-3306

            Web Design and Computer Help

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
              Hi, Darrian

              It's a CD/DVD drive - not a hard drive. For $15 he will likely discover if it's a bad drive issue.

              ...Bryce

              At 7/1/2010, Darrian wrote:
              >I concur. If the problem is the drive, buy a NEW drive (never buy used hard drives) and if your COA is legible, let me know which OS it's for and I'll help you with it.

            • jwayne99ca
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                Thanks Norm and fellas:
                Your advice is right on. I should get a replacement. It's what a Toshiba tech would do. I discussed this with my son and his advice is not to spend another penny on the computer. When it goes, it goes and just replace it.
                So I think that is what I will do.
                Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
                Wayne