Re: Change Default Browser was RE: [Simply Computers] Clipboard

  • C259s@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi Vincent,

      I have no problems in setting Firefox as default but that simply results in
      absolutely nothing that I visit via the AOL software being recorded in the
      browser history - even whilst still online to any given site via the AOL
      software.

      I did check the site below in case it told me something that I have not
      tried already. There is a note in a box that certain programs (although AOL
      was not listed those given were only examples) that insist on using IE come
      what may, even when Firefox is given as the default. So, I guess that is the
      difinitive answer.

      Thanks to all who tried to help.
      Regards,
      Chris

      Dans un e-mail daté du 30/12/2009 23:34:41 Romance Standard Time,
      vwinterling@... a écrit :

      I changed the thread title to reflect the change in topic.

      What happens when you follow the directions here:

      _http://support.http://suppohttp://suhttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://support.
      _
      (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+make+Firefox+the+default+browser)

      Vincent Winterling
      Vineland, NJ

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2010
        When connected via AOL, simply minimize the window (leaving the
        application open) and start Firefox. Firefox should detect the AOL
        connection and use it to browse the Internet.

        --Ratamacue

      • C259s@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hi Ratmancue,

          Already tried that - zilch!

          Just tried it again - zilch! Even when Firefox is set as computer default
          browser.

          Regards,
          Chris

          __http://support.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://sup_
          (http://support.http://suppohttp://suhttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://support.)

          <_http://support.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://sup_
          (http://support.http://suppohttp://suhttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://support.) >
          > _

          (_http://support.http://suppohttp://suhttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://support._
          (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+make+Firefox+the+default+browser)

          <_http://support.http://suppohttp://suhttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://support._
          (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+make+Firefox+the+default+browser) >)

          > Vincent Winterling
          > Vineland, NJ

        • David Ron
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2010
            What do you mean by "zilch". What do you click or type, what do you
            expect to happen, and what happens instead? Do you get any error
            messages? If so, what are they?

            --Ratamacue

          • C259s@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2010
              I mean exactly that. Zilch - Nada - Nothing - B...... All.

              There are no error messages because Firefox remains totally unaware of the
              existance of AOL in any way, shape or form.

              Neither AOL or Firefox is in any way aware that the other exists.

              Regards,
              Chris

              ___http://support.http://support.http://support.http://suppohttp://suppohttp:/_

              (__http://support.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://suph_

              <mailto:__C259s%mailto:__><WBR>_ (ma__C259s@..._ (mailto:_C259s@...)
              > <mailto:_C259s%mailto:_C>
              > <mailto:_C259s%mailto:_C><WBR>_ (_ma_C259s@...__
              (mailto:ma_C259s@...)
              > <mailto:ma_C259s%mailto:ma><WBR>_ (ma_C259s@..._

            • David Ron
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2010
                You didn't really answer the questions I asked, so I don't have a lot to
                go on. Is this the case? You connect with AOL, and attempt to launch
                Firefox and nothing happens at all. Firefox doesn't start up? Are you
                able to start Firefox when you aren't connected to AOL?

                --Ratamacue

                C259s@... wrote:

> [...]
                > have not
                > > > tried already. There is a note in a box that certain programs
                > > > (although AOL
                > > > was not listed those given were only examples) that insist on using IE
                > > > come
                > > > what may, even when Firefox is given as the default. So, I guess that
                > > > is the
                > > > difinitive answer.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks to all who tried to help.
                > > > Regards,
                > > > Chris
                > > >

                > > > Dans un e-mail daté du 30/12/2009 23:34:41 Romance Standard Time,
                > > > _vwinterling@ _vwinterling@<WBR>vw_vwinterling@vwinterling_
                > (mailto:vwinterling@... <mailto:vwinterling%40verizon.net>)
                > > <mailto:vwinterlingmailto:vwinmai>)
                > > <mailto:vwinterlingmailto:vwinter> a écrit :
                > > >
                > > > I changed the thread title to reflect the change in topic.
                > > >
                > > > What happens when you follow the directions here:

              • babaluscan
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Ratamacue, I think you should realize that this is a French AOL acct. - in France.

                  Perhaps things are different with the software they use when compared to AOL in the U.S. and it doesn't allow the use of another browser, even after login.

                • C259s@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Hello Ratmancue,

                    I am so sorry. I am not sure why it is that you are missing my point here
                    as the other techies seem to grasped what the problem is. The result being
                    that we are of the opinion that nothing can be done and I will just have to
                    put up with the situation.

                    I will try to explain it again.

                    Within the AOL software it decrees that the browser that it uses must be
                    Internet Explorer. There is nowhere within the AOL software to change the
                    browser that is used to the preferred browser of choice - for example Firefox.

                    Therefore, even if Firefox is installed as the default browser on the
                    computer, neither AOL nor Firefox is aware of the existance of the other.

                    I can surf at any time directly through Firefox as my modem is always
                    connected. There is absolutely no problem at all with running or using Firefox.
                    I can also have Firefox and AOL open at the same time with no difference to
                    the end result.

                    If I am reading an email in my AOL box which contains a web link and I
                    click to follow that link, I automatically open the AOL software online to
                    reach that web location. In those circumstances, absolutely nothing about that
                    website is stored in the Firefox browser history for later reading, even
                    though it is the designated default browser on my computer. Firefox is
                    unaware that any internet action has taken place. However, if I were to open IE
                    (not the default browser but part of the Windows package whether I want it
                    or not) then all the information from the web visit via the AOL software
                    would be recorded in the browser history.

                    My preference would be to delete IE from my computer completely. But even
                    if this is possible then I would still be left with the situation that
                    anything visited on the web from within the AOL software would never be stored
                    in the browser history for later reference.

                    The Firefox help site does state that there are certain softwares that
                    automatically launch IE regardless of the Firefox settings and sadly AOL seems
                    to be one of these.

                    I can live with this anomoly but my husband gets totally confused and
                    frustrated by it when he cannot find any reference to a site he has been
                    studying once he comes out of AOL. I have tried to explain to him that he should
                    go to the website that he wishes to search by using the Firefox direct
                    rather than AOL but he seems incapable of remembering that. It is causing a loss
                    of harmony in the house LOL!!

                    Regards,
                    Chris

                    ____http://support.http://support.http://support.http://support.http://supporht_
                    (http://support.http://support.http://support.http://suppohttp://suppohttp:/_)

                    <_http://support.http://support.http://support.http://support.http://supporht_
                    (http://support.http://support.http://support.http://suppohttp://suppohttp:/_) >

                  • rickglaz4742435
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
                      I understand your explanation,
                      and might be able to help you improve on it with your "other half".

                      Think of it like this.
                      There is the default Browser, and that is somewhat configurable, except with AOL.
                      NORMALLY, the default browser is YOUR choice and handles simple
                      things once launched.

                      Years ago, Microsoft EMBEDDED the IE browser into the Operating System. At that point it became the "SYSTEM's Browser".

                      At the same time, they made certain "calls for Internet Services"
                      from the "System" hard coded to go to the SYSTEM BROWSER, NOT the Default Browser. (This has been an ongoing problem for years in
                      some programs.)

                      I'm not sure if I made that clear, but lets say we make it worse.
                      If you accept the above as "true" (it is), you should also accept
                      the theory that AOL (generally) has ALWAYS run roughshod over a
                      users system, doing or adding anything it wants, while doing things
                      "their own way".

                      When you add MS and AOL, you have a match looking for trouble.
                      If most of *that* is true, (I think it is), I think you are right,
                      there might be no workaround, other than some deep Registry hacks
                      to "force" control from MS, and in that way, AOL...

                      It is not worth it...

                      PS: This is why people all over the world objected to the browser being embedded (or integrated into) the Operating System.
                      Those reasons, and a LOT of security ones.
                      A Browser should be a PROGRAM, not be something running deep inside
                      the Operating System, with full access to the Kernel.
                      That is just begging for trouble... (Soapbox-off)

                      Rick Glazier

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
                        I think the Original Poster said it right. FireFox works,
                        but only outside AOL, and pays no attention to what AOL does,
                        and AOL only pays attention to what IE does.
                        IE and AOL are joined at the hip...

                        It sounds like a case of "hard-coding" the two *~programs~* together
                        very tightly AND deeply.
                        See my other post for more details about MS + AOL.

                        These are basic "designed-in" decisions made many years ago,
                        and made at the Operating System level. NOT at a "Program"
                        level. That is why the "default Program" stuff is ignored.

                        Look at it this way (if you will, or can).
                        QuickBooks can't use FF because IE is Embedded INTO it!.
                        It is the same basic principle.
                        (And I hated when Intuit did that too...)

                        Rick Glazier

                        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, babaluscan <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > go on. Is this the case? You connect with AOL, and attempt to launch
                        > > Firefox and nothing happens at all. Firefox doesn't start up? Are you
                        > > able to start Firefox when you aren't connected to AOL?
                        > >
                        > > --Ratamacue
                        > >

                        > > C259s@ wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > I mean exactly that. Zilch - Nada - Nothing - B...... All.
                        > > >
                        > > > There are no error messages because Firefox remains totally unaware of
                        > > > the
                        > > > existance of AOL in any way, shape or form.
                        > > >
                        > > > Neither AOL or Firefox is in any way aware that the other exists.
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards,
                        > > > Chris
                        > > >

                        > > > Dans un e-mail daté du 03/01/2010 18:05:43 Romance Standard Time,
                        > > > drratamacue@ <mailto:drratamacue%40aol.com> a écrit :
                        > > >
                        > > > What do you mean by "zilch". What do you click or type, what do you
                        > > > expect to happen, and what happens instead? Do you get any error

                      • David Ron
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
                          I think that I understand now. For some reason, I was interprereting
                          you to mean that when AOL was running firefox did not run at all. As
                          in, you couldn't surf the web using Firefox when you are connected to
                          AOL. Now it seems that you can establish your Dialup connection and
                          surf with Firefox, but when you chose to use AOL or IE, all of the links
                          to web pages will only open in IE.

                          --Ratamacue

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
                            Yes, I realize that now. It's saving the Firefox browser history that seems to be the issue here. Perhaps Chris, "c259s", can use "Web Historian" for that purpose:
                            (http://download.cnet.com/Web-Historian/3000-2653_4-10373157.html)

                            If the task needs to be automated for her husband then she could use
                            "Do It Again" (http://www.spacetornado.com/DoItAgain/) to record the steps and make it easier for her to repeat the task when necessary.

                            This article provides some insight as to the subtleties of various browsers on how they store the browsing history
                            (http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1827)

                            It might be easier to change ISPs, but if like with a friend of mine who resides in Defuniak Springs FL (http://tinyurl.com/yfrtgnb), where AOL was all that was available until recently, then Chris might not be able to switch from AOL to another provider.

                            __C259s@ <mailto:__C259s%40aol.com_ (mailto:_C259s@ <mailto:_C259s%40aol. com) <mailto:_C259s%mailto:_C<WBR_ (ma_C259s@ <mailto: ma_C259s%40aol.com_ (mailto: C259s@ <mailto: C259s%40aol. com) <mailto: C259s%mailto: C2<WBR) w

                            Dans un e-mail daté du 30/12/2009 23:34:41 Romance Standard Time, _vwinterling@ _vwinterling@<WBRvw_vwinterling@vwinterling_

                            ___http://support.http://support.http://support.http://suppohttp://suppohttp:/_ <http://support.http://support.http://support.http://suppohttp://suppohttp:/_

                            (http://support.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://sup_ <http://support.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://sup_)

                            (http://support.http://suppohttp://suhttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://support. <http://support.http://suppohttp://suhttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://support.)

                            (__http://support.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://suph_ <http://support.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://suph_

                            (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+make+Firefox+the+default+browser <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+make+Firefox+the+default+browser)

                            <__http://supp ort.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://suph_ <ort.http://support.http://suphttp://suppohttp://suppohttp://suph_

                            (mailto: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com <mailto: simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups. com) <mailto: simplycompumailto: simplycommailto:) <mailto: simplycompumailto: simplycommailto:) [mailto:_simplycomp [mailto:_si [m
                            (mailto: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com <mailto: simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups. com) <mailto: simplycompumailto: simplycommailto:) <mailto: simplycompumailto: simplycommailto:) ] On Behalf Of ___C259s@aol.__C_ (mailto:__C259s@ <mailto:__C259s%40aol.com) <mailto:__C259s%mailto:__<WBR_ (ma__C259s@ <mailto: ma__C259s%40aol.com_ (mailto:_C259s@ <mailto:_C259s%40aol. com) <mailto:_C259s%mailto:_C <mailto:_C259s%mailto:_C<WBR_ (_ma_C259s@ <mailto:_ma_C259s%40aol. ma__
                            (mailto: ma_C259s@ <mailto: ma_C259s%40aol.com) <mailto: ma_C259s%mailto: ma<WBR_ (ma_C259s@ <mailto: ma_C259s%40aol. com_
                            (mailto: C259s@ <mailto: C259s%40aol.com) <mailto: C259s%mailto: C2 <mailto: C259s%mailto: C2 Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:18 PM To: _simplycomputers2@ To: _simply
                            (mailto: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com <mailto: simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups. com) <mailto: simplycompumailto: simplycommailto:) <mailto: simplycompumailto: simplycommailto:) Subject: Re: [Simply Computers] Clipboard

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
                              I use the "keep it as simple as possible" method, have not used
                              AOL for years, and while the idea below seems promising, there is
                              no need for me to continue in this thread as I am in uncharted waters... I wish the OP and her husband well...