Re: [Simply Computers] win32.backdoor-DNM

  • Fast Dragon
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      I see that you understand that your computer "can" be compromised. I
      tend to think of it as someone is out to get you and eventually they
      will succeed.

      What can you do? Limit your exposure by not keeping account information
      on the computer. Make it so that if someone copied every byte of data
      from you hard drive, they get nothing important.

      Dragonfly

      sctmt2003 wrote:

      > Yesterday I had a pop-up telling me: Windows Firewall has blocked
      > unauthorized activity but it cannot help to remove viruses.' Gave me
      > a link to 'click to download and activate protection.' When I click
      > on that, a website called, 'perfectd-review.com/?' came up and wanted
      > me to download Perfect Defender 2009.
      >
      > The description in the pop-up said that win32backdoor-DNM is a worm
      > trojan program that records keystrokes and takes screen shots of the
      > computer, stealing personal financial information.
      >
      > I live pay day to pay day and am afraid that my banking info has been
      > compromised.
      >
      > Can someone help me get rid of this and re-assure me that my
      > information will remain safe?
      >
      > I have Windows XP. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.
      >
      > Sue
      >
      > __
    • Norm Higgs
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        I hope you did not install 'Perfect Defender 2009':
        http://www.precisesecurity.com/blogs/2008/12/02/perfect-defender-2009/

        Windows Firewall will not EVER direct you to a site to download any
        third party Antivirus or AntiSpyware programs such as this one. What you
        saw was a phony pop-up from an ad or website designed to fool you into
        installing a rogue Antivirus/Antispyware program.

        There are legitimate free antivirus and antispyware programs you can
        install:
        http://www.free-av.com/ (Antivirus)
        http://free.avg.com/ (Antivirus)
        http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (AntiSpyware)
        http://www.superantispyware.com/ (Antispyware)

        Only install one Antivirus program. You can install several AntiSpyware
        programs.

        Norm Higgs
        http://forbiddenpc.com
        http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com