Re: [Simply Computers] Hard drive test

  • Rick Glazier
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
      Norm, good answer/reply over-all.
      I have a suggestion.
      First, the original poster should write down all the original
      jumper settings and hope they "were" correctly set.
      Then see if the BIOS is set to have both IDE ports on and if set
      to auto. (And record current settings.)
      It can be hard for new users to get back to a working configuration
      after running around changing things.

      Rick Glazier

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Norm Higgs <norm@...> wrote:

      > First off - you can't simply pull a hard drive from one machine and
      > stick it into a different machine and expect it to boot unless the
      > machines are virtually IDENTICAL - and even then you will run into
      > activation problems with Windows XP. Hardware differences will prevent
      > it from booting.
      >
      > It would appear that you are getting no splash screens at all on the
      > problem machine, correct? This is usually indicative of a pretty major
      > hardware failure - power supply, motherboard, Video card, Processor,
      > Memory, etc *but* seldom is it caused by the hard drive.
      >
      > If you want to use the drive as a slave, you will need to set the
      jumper
      > on the other hard drive to master, and set this one to slave, and
      > connect them to the same ribbon cable.
      >
      > --
      > Norm Higgs
      > http://forbiddenpc.com
      > http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
      > https://linkedin.com/e/fpf/4018099
      > http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276
      >

      > Harry Kiniption wrote:
      > > I have a HP pavilion circa 2003 that started refusing to boot up .
      When I boot the screen just says off mode in 5 seconds and turns off.
      I know the monitor is ok for I have hooked it up to another puter and
      its fine. So I decided to take the HDD out of the HP pavilion and see
      if it worked in another computer and it looked as if we were going to
      work but after it did a couple of boot screens it froze. Its a western
      digital 80 gig enhanced IDE HDD I want to try and add it now as a
      second hasrd drive and see if it comes up.Do I need to change the
      jumper to slave on the drive? Or can I leave it onCS where its at?
      Thanks Harry

    • John Clinard
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
        CS should work fine.

        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
          If the new/host computer has a drive set to Master (or stand alone)
          then CS is NOT "OK"...

          Simple answers can be confusing, and/or wrong.
          This list sometimes has a problem looking at the *big picture*.
          Sorry if I bring up things that might only effect some of the users
          some of the time. And sorry John, I'm not trying to pick on you.

          The question can't be answered as it does not say HOW the jumpers
          are set in the second computer.
          The jumpers have to be set in a consistent way.

          EITHER Master and Slave, (which might be easier and/or more
          compatible with older computers and/or drives),
          OR
          ALL CS (for drives at least on the one ribbon cable).
          This might be easier if the MB AND all the drives support it
          AND they will work together in this configuration.
          It is easier since drives can be moved in and out without changing
          the *host* computer jumper all the time, or even checking it.

          FWIW, I switch *everything* to CS the minute I'm sure it will
          work with the hardware mix...

          Rick Glazier

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, John Clinard
          <john_clinard@...> wrote:

          > CS should work fine.
          >
          > John

        • Norm Higgs
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
            Good point, Rick - its always good practice to record what your
            'starting configuration' was, so you can easily revert back to it when
            things aren't working as planned.

            --

            Rick Glazier wrote:
            > Norm, good answer/reply over-all.
            > I have a suggestion.
            > First, the original poster should write down all the original
            > jumper settings and hope they "were" correctly set.
            > Then see if the BIOS is set to have both IDE ports on and if set
            > to auto. (And record current settings.)
            > It can be hard for new users to get back to a working configuration
            > after running around changing things.
            >
            > Rick Glazier
            >
            > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Norm Higgs <norm@...> wrote:
            >
            >> First off - you can't simply pull a hard drive from one machine and
            >> stick it into a different machine and expect it to boot unless the
            >> machines are virtually IDENTICAL - and even then you will run into
            >> activation problems with Windows XP. Hardware differences will prevent
            >> it from booting.
            >>
            >> It would appear that you are getting no splash screens at all on the
            >> problem machine, correct? This is usually indicative of a pretty major
            >> hardware failure - power supply, motherboard, Video card, Processor,
            >> Memory, etc *but* seldom is it caused by the hard drive.
            >>
            >> If you want to use the drive as a slave, you will need to set the
            >>
            > jumper
            >
            >> on the other hard drive to master, and set this one to slave, and
            >> connect them to the same ribbon cable.
            >>
            >> --
            >> Norm Higgs
            >> http://forbiddenpc.com
            >> http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
            >> https://linkedin.com/e/fpf/4018099
            >> http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276
            >>

            >> Harry Kiniption wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have a HP pavilion circa 2003 that started refusing to boot up .
            >>>
            > When I boot the screen just says off mode in 5 seconds and turns off.
            > I know the monitor is ok for I have hooked it up to another puter and
            > its fine. So I decided to take the HDD out of the HP pavilion and see
            > if it worked in another computer and it looked as if we were going to
            > work but after it did a couple of boot screens it froze. Its a western
            > digital 80 gig enhanced IDE HDD I want to try and add it now as a
            > second hasrd drive and see if it comes up.Do I need to change the
            > jumper to slave on the drive? Or can I leave it onCS where its at?
            > Thanks Harry

          • drayton bond
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
              norman higgs.if you want to use the drive as a slave, you will need to set
              the jumper
              on the other hard drive to master, and set this one to slave, and
              connect them to the same ribbon cable.

              I have done exactly this. when i boot up I am taken to the normal desk
              top...
              I go to this ( my) computer and I see Local station C which is what I'm on &
              see below it local station E which i assume to be the slave I hooked up.
              I was thinking when I clicked on E that I would be taken to the desk top of
              the
              E hard drive that is the slave.When I click on E I get 7 yellow folders.
              CPM..install..Windows.. Documents and Settings.. MSOCache..Drivers...Program
              Files.
              So How do i get to the Slave E and it's desk top and all else thats in it?
              I went to BIOS and see hard drive C.. CD and Floppy but no option for E?
              The hard drives and jumpers must be ok else I wouldn't be seeing both
              drivwes in MY computer?

              2009/2/2 Rick Glazier <rickglaz4742435@...>

              > If the new/host computer has a drive set to Master (or stand alone)
              > then CS is NOT "OK"...
              >
              > Simple answers can be confusing, and/or wrong.
              > This list sometimes has a problem looking at the *big picture*.
              > Sorry if I bring up things that might only effect some of the users
              > some of the time. And sorry John, I'm not trying to pick on you.
              >
              > The question can't be answered as it does not say HOW the jumpers
              > are set in the second computer.
              > The jumpers have to be set in a consistent way.
              >
              > EITHER Master and Slave, (which might be easier and/or more
              > compatible with older computers and/or drives),
              > OR
              > ALL CS (for drives at least on the one ribbon cable).
              > This might be easier if the MB AND all the drives support it
              > AND they will work together in this configuration.
              > It is easier since drives can be moved in and out without changing
              > the *host* computer jumper all the time, or even checking it.
              >
              > FWIW, I switch *everything* to CS the minute I'm sure it will
              > work with the hardware mix...
              >
              > Rick Glazier
              >
              > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com<simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > John Clinard
              >
              > <john_clinard@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > CS should work fine.
              > >
              > > John

            • drayton bond
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
                Hello and excuse me mr higgs.. I clicked on E then documents and settings
                then Administrator
                then desk top and I guess I got to the E drive. Is this the best ( only) way
                to get there?

              • vw052053
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
                  So you have an operating system on both drives? and you want to have
                  a dual boot setup?

                  --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, drayton bond