Re: [Simply Computers] error shown after logging on

  • nick bowley
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
      1 have different programs set to start up on boot so quicker access to type of use wanted depending which side i boot.
      2 have access to working side when software plays up on other.
      3can retrieve imformation from slave drive when above happens
      4 can prove no hardware failures if one side is acting strange.
      5 in cases of virus i can virus check folders from one system with the other if virus has locked me out which has happened.
       set this up first of all to pull files from failing hard drive and found it usefull as system uses very little of hard drive in respect to how much mem i use for file storage.It has quite a few advantages at little cost of 2nd hardrive and means if a software goes absolutely looney i can just pull my files off and restart that system with out losing anything recently saved or working projects. It makes it quick and easy to sort probs knowing you cant really lose anything of value. I do also backup important files but this usually works best. way i am norm bib and braces haha

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
        1. Make multiple accounts, and set each up the way you like. Log off one
        and then log into the other. You can use fast user switching to log into
        the other account in just a few seconds.

        2. Use a live Linux CD for this such as Knoppix, or Ubuntu.

        3. Use a live Linux CD for this such as Knoppix, or Ubuntu.

        4. A Live Linux CD works just as well for this too.

        5. See above.

        The problem with doing things the way you are currently is that
        *sometimes* one of the installations may interfere with files from the
        other installation - I'd be willing to bet thats what causes one of them
        to occasionally 'play up' as you put it.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
          thanks for your advice norm and will try it to see how it goes. to save one system i will take one hard drive out and use the other to see how the other system copes with this using a formmatted blank hard drive as slave to save files to and if ever the system fails i can use removed system to quickly access files if harddrive fails as happens too often.