Re: How to copy Outlook Express Folders

  • go2geo2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
      How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data
      support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

      How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail
      support.microsoft.com/kb/188854

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "John Clinard"
      <john.clinard@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > My primary computer seems to have bitten the dust, so I'm now using
      an old
      > Win ME backup. Both machines have Outlook Express. I would like
      to copy
      > the OE folders from the primary machine and substitute them for the
      OE
      > folders on the Win ME backup machine. I have a PuppyLinux LiveCD
      to do the
      > copying and moving. Is this feasible and how would I identify the
      folders
      > on the primary computer and what would I substitute them for on the
      backup
      > computer? Thanks for your help.

    • Jake Taggert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
        Is the hard drive on the computer you say bit the dust still functional?
        shouldn't be any problem if the hard is not shot. Slave it to the ME computer. Then copy from one to the other. Thats what I did.
        To: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2008
          Rightclick on Start
          Explore
          go to your name you used (if multi-users each user has a name they
          signin under)
          +Application Data
          copy Identies to a folder called Application Data
          +Local Settings
          +Application Data
          copy Identies again to folder marked Local Settings/Application Data

          [Note: if you don't see the Identities folders make sure you go into
          the tools area and View - the hidden System files should be unchecked
          so they aren't hidden when you are in explorer]

          Now after copied you just take disk to new computer and copy into
          same area.

          [if you look you will see that each message identity is different
          name so you want to know what the name is to import - use the browse
          and go to those folders and you will find the messages]

          Now you want to use Outlook Express and do the Import Messages and
          choose those specific folders and identies that you just put onto
          your harddrive and they will import into your new machine's Outlook
          Express. After importing then you can delete those particular
          identies off your harddrive.

          Now, the above is the manual way -- you can do a backup and select
          those particular folders to copy using a backup command and restore
          to new harddrive - but I have had problems in past where this didn't
          always work and reason I do the manual way.

          If you don't understand the + I just mean click on the + so it opens
          that folder so you can see the other folders within.

          Take care,
          Judy M.

          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > My primary computer seems to have bitten the dust, so I'm now
          using
          > an old
          > > Win ME backup. Both machines have Outlook Express. I would like
          > to copy
          > > the OE folders from the primary machine and substitute them for
          the
          > OE
          > > folders on the Win ME backup machine. I have a PuppyLinux LiveCD
          > to do the
          > > copying and moving. Is this feasible and how would I identify
          the
          > folders
          > > on the primary computer and what would I substitute them for on
          the
          > backup
          > > computer? Thanks for your help.

        • avbsantos2
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2008
            OE's files all end in ".dbx".

            Boot puppy, search for the *.dbx files in the deceased PC's drive and
            copy them to your backup media.

            See this for some good tips:
            "How do I move my Outlook Express folders to my new machine?"
            <http://ask-leo.com/comments_000390.php?page=22>

            This one also:
            "Moving Outlook Express 'DBX' Files to a New Computer"
            <http://www.pcdon.com/00MovingDBXFilestoaNewComputer.html>

            Armando
            <john.clinard@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > My primary computer seems to have bitten the dust, so I'm now using
            an old
            > Win ME backup. Both machines have Outlook Express. I would like to
            copy
            > the OE folders from the primary machine and substitute them for the OE
            > folders on the Win ME backup machine. I have a PuppyLinux LiveCD to
            do the
            > copying and moving. Is this feasible and how would I identify the
            folders
            > on the primary computer and what would I substitute them for on the
            backup
            > computer? Thanks for your help.

          • Norm Higgs
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2008
              Thats the hard way - just copy the 'identities' folder in C:\documents
              and settings\your Profile name\Application data and you will get all of
              your OE identities.

              --
              Norm Higgs
              http://forbiddenpc.com