Gateway 2000 (ASAP)

  • Houston Moyer
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hi,

      RESPONSE *ASAP *WOULD BE HELPFUL. THX.

      I have an old Gateway 2000 that was made in 1998. I was thinking about
      upgrading memory and installing Windows XP, new memory cost $80 and will
      only get 384MB (max that can be installed). Would this be a wise
      purchase or not? I was also going to get a Ethernet card for it. Could
      someone help me?

      Thanks!
      Houston
    • Vincent Winterling
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        I wouldn't. XP does better with 512mb of ram. XP will cost you at least
        $100. For another hundred or 2 you could have a modern budget system.

        Vincent Winterling
        Vineland, NJ

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
          Upgrading the memory is not worth it, IMO. XP will not be very fast
          running on 384 MB. You'll be spending almost $200 when you factor in the
          cost of Windows XP, for machine thats *still* going to be slow and
          obsolete, however, if you toss another $200 into the pot you could get
          the whole tower upgraded, Wndows and all.

          --
          Norm Higgs
          http://forbiddenpc.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
            OK, thanks for the advice! Where can you buy JUST a new tower?

            Thanks!
            Houston
          • Rick Glazier
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
              If everything is 10 years old, you might want to "bite the bullet"
              and get all new.

              Having said that, I use old stuff until it is too slow,
              or it "fails".

              Rick Glazier

              --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Houston Moyer <eco@...> wrote:

              > OK, thanks for the advice! Where can you buy JUST a new tower?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Houston

            • Vincent Winterling
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
                Newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave to name but a few.

                Vincent Winterling
                Vineland, NJ

                OK, thanks for the advice! Where can you buy JUST a new tower?

                Thanks!
                Houston
              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
                  It was 29 Feb 2008, when Houston Moyer commented:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > RESPONSE *ASAP *WOULD BE HELPFUL. THX.
                  >
                  > I have an old Gateway 2000 that was made in 1998. I was thinking about
                  > upgrading memory and installing Windows XP, new memory cost $80 and will
                  > only get 384MB (max that can be installed). Would this be a wise purchase
                  > or not? I was also going to get a Ethernet card for it. Could someone help
                  > me?

                  First guess: probably not worth it.

                  Second guess: If it were me, I'd jump out to Crucial.com, and run their
                  little client that will determine how much you can increase your memory
                  AND exactly what sort of memory you should use. Note the latter. Look on
                  eBay or other sources for that particular sort of memory, find a
                  reasonably reputable source, and see if you aren't doing better on price.

                  Crucial has good-quality memory, and guarantees it'll work, but you pay
                  for the guarantee, and with older hardware, it's a bit of a stretch to
                  justify the expense. Searching elsewhere may provide probably-working
                  memory that might not cost more than is worth spending on the hardware.

                  It still is probably not a Wise Choice, but if you're like me and don't
                  feel comfortable abandoning still-working hardware, you will at least have
                  out of date hardware that works as well as it possibly can.

                  --
                  Grizzly's Growls
                  Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
                    But if you want to just buy a new case and power supply, you might try a
                    place that builds and/or repairs systems locally. Also, I once bought a
                    Full Tower case and powersupply at Tigersoftware. Or was it Tigerdirect?
                    While that was maybe a decade ago, the purchase went well, the install
                    went well, and it was kinda fun to do the install myself.

                    It was 2 Mar 2008, when Rick Glazier commented:

                    --
                    Grizzly's Growls
                    Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                  • kneepayne
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                      Tiger Direct www.tigerdirect.com

                      My son has built three or four computers buying kits and parts from Tiger.

                      Kneepayne

                      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...>
                      wrote:

                      > But if you want to just buy a new case and power supply, you might
                      try a
                      > place that builds and/or repairs systems locally. Also, I once
                      bought a
                      > Full Tower case and powersupply at Tigersoftware. Or was it
                      Tigerdirect?
                      > While that was maybe a decade ago, the purchase went well, the install
                      > went well, and it was kinda fun to do the install myself.
                      >
                      > It was 2 Mar 2008, when Rick Glazier commented:
                      >
                      > > If everything is 10 years old, you might want to "bite the bullet"
                      > > and get all new.
                      > >
                      > > Having said that, I use old stuff until it is too slow,
                      > > or it "fails".
                      > >
                      > > Rick Glazier
                      > >
                      > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Houston Moyer <eco@>
                      wrote: > >
                      > > OK, thanks for the advice! Where can you buy JUST a new tower? > >
                      Thanks!
                      > > > Houston >
                      > >

                      > > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7).
                      Providing
                      > > 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 12,000
                      members Simply
                      > > Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support
                      Forums on the
                      > > Internet. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Grizzly's Growls
                      > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                      > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                      > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>

                    • DaveO
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                        Wasn't CompUSA bought out by Tiger Direct? Web sites appear identical.
                        They have a special on 4 computers under $400. ranging from $199. up.

                      • Rick Glazier
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                          I thought I had heard something about the "liquidators" breaking
                          it up. Who got the different pieces is anybodies guess...
                          The WEB site states "that" is a Systemax Company.
                          <http://www.compusa.com/>
                          According to that site, they only have 6 stores open now, with more
                          to come. Mostly FLA, a couple in TX and one Puerto Rico

                          Rick Glazier

                          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, DaveO <fencible39@...> wrote:

                          > Wasn't CompUSA bought out by Tiger Direct? Web sites appear identical.
                          > They have a special on 4 computers under $400. ranging from $199. up.
                          >
                          > kneepayne wrote:
                          > > Tiger Direct www.tigerdirect.com
                          > >
                          > > My son has built three or four computers buying kits and parts
                          from Tiger.

                          > > Kneepayne
                          > >
                          > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> But if you want to just buy a new case and power supply, you might
                          > >>
                          > > try a
                          > >
                          > >> place that builds and/or repairs systems locally. Also, I once
                          > >>
                          > > bought a
                          > >
                          > >> Full Tower case and powersupply at Tigersoftware. Or was it
                          > >>
                          > > Tigerdirect?
                          > >
                          > >> While that was maybe a decade ago, the purchase went well, the
                          install
                          > >> went well, and it was kinda fun to do the install myself.
                          > >>
                          > >> It was 2 Mar 2008, when Rick Glazier commented:

                          > > Thanks!

                          > > Providing

                          > > members Simply

                          > > Forums on the

                          > >> --
                          > >> Grizzly's Growls
                          > >> The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                          > >> Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                          > >> Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                          > >>

                          > > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7).
                          Providing 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 12,000
                          members Simply Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech
                          Support Forums on the Internet.

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          signature database 2931 (20080307) __________

                          > > part000.txt - is OK