Re: Boy did I mess up!- 2 Vista Operating Systems/ 1 computer

  • avbsantos2
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      In Windows 2000 and in XP, by editing the boot.ini one could choose
      which of the multiple installations of the operating system should
      default to be the primary, the one to boot, and then one could delete
      the second copy installed.

      Vista uses a different boot loader, BCD Boot.ini. You will have to use
      bcedit to determine which of the installations you wish to boot as the
      default, and then you should be able to delete the second unwanted copy.

      This link has info on the use of bcedit:
      <http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af7781033.mspx?mfr=true>

      This other link is about a thread discussing the use of bcedit that
      may help you in understanding its use:
      <http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=475795&SiteID=17>

      Armando
      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deb0822@...> wrote:

      > I did disconnect my external after the back up and before what I
      thought was
      > a reformat to the computer. I didn't even plug it back in until I had
      > installed all the dell software, network, printer, etc. - the
      external is
      > fine and I will unplug it again if I have to start all over. The
      only thing
      > I can think of is it must not have booted from the cd ROM when I
      reformatted
      > thus, I ended up with 2 vista operating systems.
      >
      > I can certainly start from scratch, making sure it boots from the cd
      ROM but
      > I'd sure like to avoid that if at all possible. Ever since I got
      this dell
      > in late October I've been fighting one thing or another, starting
      out with
      > hardware that wasn't compatible, the same with some programs....it's
      just
      > been a hassle. I have a laptop with vista and no problems and bought my
      > hubby a HP with vista and no problems. This dell has been a pure
      pita - BUT
      > I run a lot of graphic programs, programs like incredimail, etc that the
      > other computers don't. The laptop is basically a 'travel' machine
      to check
      > e-mail, the HP is mainly used for yahoo and some games, crossword
      puzzles -
      > a toy really.
      >
      > Thanks for your help - I SHOULD have been more cautious, you have
      that part
      > right; just in a different way - <insert laugh here, thru tears>
      >
      > Does anyone know if I can get around a complete reformat which would
      cause
      > another week of getting it back in shape?
      > Deb

      Simply
      > Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums
      on the
      > Internet.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Deb
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        I can get to it. I'm the only account on this computer but I right clicked
        to run as administrator anyway. It gives me the standard 'needs permission'
        tag line in Vista and when I click to allow I get a flash of it on the
        screen then it disappears. Hmmmmmmm.....I have a lot of problems with other
        windows programs allowing me to make changes 'as an administrator' when I AM
        the administrator.....

        Any suggestions as to how I can get the darned thing to NOT just disappear?
        And in reading the first link it appears I CAN delete the original (the one
        that won't shut down) installation of Vista. They talk about seeing the 2
        boot systems and deleting one, both will be identified by numbers. How will
        I know which one is the original? And by just deleting it (whenever I
        actually get it to come up on the screen), does that remove everything,
        including all the programs, etc that are taking up space in that vista boot
        or just the vista itself? Hope I'm making sense here.....
        Thanks for your help on this!
        Deb

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          In XP I can go to Control Panel>Performance
          &Maintenance>System>Advanced Tab and under Startup and Recovery click
          Settings and then in "System startup" I can choose which to boot
          first. The one that boots by default is the one that is currently
          highlighted when I access the System Startup option.

          In other words, the version that now boots by default is the fist one
          listed. The other one is the second one.

          In Windows 2000 the process is the same as for XP except for that
          accessing the Control Panel is not as complicated. I suppose that in
          Vista there must be a very similar approach to this, and knowing what
          MS must have done, it most probably involves a few more steps, or
          perhaps even different ones.

          Pardon me for not being more specific and giving you the steps for
          accomplishing your goal in Vista but I don't use Vista and have not
          yet come across a Vista system which I can fiddle with and tweak and
          whack to my heart's contentment.

          As to Vista's UAC, you can disable it and enable it at will. Here's
          how, as the Administrator in Group Policy:

          To disable UAC using Group Policy:
          # Click Start and click Run.
          # Type gpedit.msc and click OK. This will open the Group Policy Editor.
          # Browse to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security
          Settings | Local Policies | Security Options.
          # In the details pane, locate the User Access Control policies.
          # Right click each of the following policies and change the value as
          indicated below:

          * User Account Control: Detect application installations and
          prompt for elevation - Disabled
          * User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for
          standard users - No prompt
          * User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval
          Mode - Disabled

          Close the Group Policy Editor window.

          You can enable UAC again by changing the policies above to their
          default values.

          Here's a step-by-step for bcdedit with XP and Vista that might help
          you understand what it entails:
          <http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista>

          And this link is to "easybcd", for editing Vista's boot loader:
          <http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1>

          By the time you accomplish your goal you'll become our expert resident
          on this subject. A nice New Year's resolution, eh?

        • Vincent Winterling
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
            May I also interject and place a word here in support of a Vista boot editor
            called Vista Boot Pro. It can be found here:

            http://www.vistabootpro.org/

            Vincent Winterling
            Vineland, NJ

            In Windows 2000 and in XP, by editing the boot.ini one could choose
            which of the multiple installations of the operating system should
            default to be the primary, the one to boot, and then one could delete
            the second copy installed.

            Vista uses a different boot loader, BCD Boot.ini. You will have to use
            bcedit to determine which of the installations you wish to boot as the
            default, and then you should be able to delete the second unwanted copy.

            This link has info on the use of bcedit:
            <http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b0
            35-c2719d4af7781033.mspx?mfr=true>

            This other link is about a thread discussing the use of bcedit that
            may help you in understanding its use:
            <http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=475795&SiteID=17>

            Armando
            --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deb0822@...> wrote:

            > I did disconnect my external after the back up and before what I
            thought was
            > a reformat to the computer. I didn't even plug it back in until I had
            > installed all the dell software, network, printer, etc. - the
            external is
            > fine and I will unplug it again if I have to start all over. The
            only thing
            > I can think of is it must not have booted from the cd ROM when I
            reformatted
            > thus, I ended up with 2 vista operating systems.
            >
            > I can certainly start from scratch, making sure it boots from the cd
            ROM but
            > I'd sure like to avoid that if at all possible. Ever since I got
            this dell
            > in late October I've been fighting one thing or another, starting
            out with
            > hardware that wasn't compatible, the same with some programs....it's
            just
            > been a hassle. I have a laptop with vista and no problems and bought my
            > hubby a HP with vista and no problems. This dell has been a pure
            pita - BUT
            > I run a lot of graphic programs, programs like incredimail, etc that the
            > other computers don't. The laptop is basically a 'travel' machine
            to check
            > e-mail, the HP is mainly used for yahoo and some games, crossword
            puzzles -
            > a toy really.
            >
            > Thanks for your help - I SHOULD have been more cautious, you have
            that part
            > right; just in a different way - <insert laugh here, thru tears>
            >
            > Does anyone know if I can get around a complete reformat which would
            cause
            > another week of getting it back in shape?
            > Deb

          • Vincent Winterling
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
              Check out this article for discussion of Vista super admin status:

              http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_administrator_activate.htm

              With respect to the problem with of bcedit.exe, open the run box, type "cmd"
              without the quotes, and you will then get a command window from which to
              operate. Vista Boot Pro will provide that for you without the command
              window.

              Your installs will be listed by partition. The first one I would imagine is
              C:\ and would be the one I would look to nuke.

              Vincent Winterling
              Vineland, NJ

              In Windows 2000 and in XP, by editing the boot.ini one could choose
              which of the multiple installations of the operating system should
              default to be the primary, the one to boot, and then one could delete
              the second copy installed.

              Vista uses a different boot loader, BCD Boot.ini. You will have to use
              bcedit to determine which of the installations you wish to boot as the
              default, and then you should be able to delete the second unwanted copy.

              This link has info on the use of bcedit:
              <http://technet2.microsoft
              com/WindowsVista/en/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af7781033
              mspx?mfr=true>

              This other link is about a thread discussing the use of bcedit that
              may help you in understanding its use:
              <http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=475795&SiteID=17>

              Armando
              --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deb0822@...> wrote:

              > I did disconnect my external after the back up and before what I
              thought was
              > a reformat to the computer. I didn't even plug it back in until I had
              > installed all the dell software, network, printer, etc. - the
              external is
              > fine and I will unplug it again if I have to start all over. The
              only thing
              > I can think of is it must not have booted from the cd ROM when I
              reformatted
              > thus, I ended up with 2 vista operating systems.
              >
              > I can certainly start from scratch, making sure it boots from the cd
              ROM but
              > I'd sure like to avoid that if at all possible. Ever since I got
              this dell
              > in late October I've been fighting one thing or another, starting
              out with
              > hardware that wasn't compatible, the same with some programs....it's
              just
              > been a hassle. I have a laptop with vista and no problems and bought my
              > hubby a HP with vista and no problems. This dell has been a pure
              pita - BUT
              > I run a lot of graphic programs, programs like incredimail, etc that the
              > other computers don't. The laptop is basically a 'travel' machine
              to check
              > e-mail, the HP is mainly used for yahoo and some games, crossword
              puzzles -
              > a toy really.
              >
              > Thanks for your help - I SHOULD have been more cautious, you have
              that part
              > right; just in a different way - <insert laugh here, thru tears>
              >
              > Does anyone know if I can get around a complete reformat which would
              cause
              > another week of getting it back in shape?
              > Deb

            • Deb
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                Thanks Vincent for the excellent assistance - still not there yet, however.
                I downloaded Vista Boot Pro and at launch I'm getting a error message "
                Vista BootPRO has detected that your BCD registry is either missing or
                corrupt. It is recommended that you fix this problem in order to suppress
                this message on further uses'. After that I can get the program to launch
                after another couple of these messages but of course when I click 'view
                settings' it shows zero operating systems installed. Of course that's
                incorrect.

                Now what? I did make the changes to the administrator via the command
                prompt (suggested in another response)
                Thanks so much for your continuing assistance!
                Deb

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Did you try the bcedit command? Try that and see what you come up with.

                  If you don't have a lot of stuff to reinstall you might want to consider how
                  much your time is worth to troubleshoot this thing versus just nuking the
                  whole thing and starting over. Just a thought...

                  Vincent Winterling
                  Vineland, NJ

                  In Windows 2000 and in XP, by editing the boot.ini one could choose
                  which of the multiple installations of the operating system should
                  default to be the primary, the one to boot, and then one could delete
                  the second copy installed.

                  Vista uses a different boot loader, BCD Boot.ini. You will have to use
                  bcedit to determine which of the installations you wish to boot as the
                  default, and then you should be able to delete the second unwanted copy.

                  This link has info on the use of bcedit:
                  <http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b0
                  35-c2719d4af7781033.mspx?mfr=true>

                  This other link is about a thread discussing the use of bcedit that
                  may help you in understanding its use:
                  <http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=475795&SiteID=17>

                  Armando
                  --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deb0822@...> wrote:

                  > I did disconnect my external after the back up and before what I
                  thought was
                  > a reformat to the computer. I didn't even plug it back in until I had
                  > installed all the dell software, network, printer, etc. - the
                  external is
                  > fine and I will unplug it again if I have to start all over. The
                  only thing
                  > I can think of is it must not have booted from the cd ROM when I
                  reformatted
                  > thus, I ended up with 2 vista operating systems.
                  >
                  > I can certainly start from scratch, making sure it boots from the cd
                  ROM but
                  > I'd sure like to avoid that if at all possible. Ever since I got
                  this dell
                  > in late October I've been fighting one thing or another, starting
                  out with
                  > hardware that wasn't compatible, the same with some programs....it's
                  just
                  > been a hassle. I have a laptop with vista and no problems and bought my
                  > hubby a HP with vista and no problems. This dell has been a pure
                  pita - BUT
                  > I run a lot of graphic programs, programs like incredimail, etc that the
                  > other computers don't. The laptop is basically a 'travel' machine
                  to check
                  > e-mail, the HP is mainly used for yahoo and some games, crossword
                  puzzles -
                  > a toy really.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help - I SHOULD have been more cautious, you have
                  that part
                  > right; just in a different way - <insert laugh here, thru tears>
                  >
                  > Does anyone know if I can get around a complete reformat which would
                  cause
                  > another week of getting it back in shape?
                  > Deb

                • Deb
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Vincent,
                    Thanks for the follow up e-mail - yes, I was finally able to access the
                    bcdedit and now boot directly to the 'new' Microsoft Windows Vista OS. BUT,
                    isn't bcdedit just a choice for booting? As opposed to actually wiping out
                    the former OS? My concern is some programs default to installing on the C
                    drive - like Incredimail (though I do have the option to store data settings
                    on an alternate drive, and do). Some versions give you the option of
                    installing on another drive, some don't. The current Vista version doesn't.

                    My C drive is 10 gig and now holds the OS and 'cache' for programs, etc....
                    I've already run into several instances of 'low memory' and go in and
                    delete temp files, etc., which generally only show as being up to 200MB
                    total. This morning I'm showing 1.29GB space left - the highest its been in
                    days. Not sure what causes the changes...... I would like to totally wipe
                    out everything on the original OS install and I guess I could get back into
                    it and manually uninstall everything it allows me to......just hoping there
                    d be an easier way.

                    The funny thing is, this 'new' OS reformatting process was supposed to
                    restore my computer to exactly how it left Dell but it sure doesn't look the
                    same - desktop icons, etc. Are all different sized, etc...... Not sure my
                    next computer will be a Dell - 1st one for me. Have an HP, Toshiba and my
                    old computer was a Sony, before that an IBM and previously a Compaq. This
                    one's the only computer I've had trouble with. I know it's part learning
                    Vista for troubleshooting but the HP and Toshiba haven't required any
                    troubleshooting - this one it seems requires something daily!
                    Thanks,
                    Deb

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                      The first thing I thought we were trying to accomplish was to identify old
                      from new OS. It seems now you know which one is live and the one you boot
                      from.

                      You are now in a position to get rid of the other one. Be careful when you
                      view the folders because you now are booting from the c:\ drive. Vista works
                      behind the scenes to make the boot drive c:\. I would look in control panel
                      | administrative tools | computer management | disk management to see how
                      your current system is laid out. When you are sure which one you want to
                      keep, simply reformat the partition you want to nuke. At this point it might
                      be easier to reinstall the programs but it's up to you.

                      If you have drive imaging software you could image both partitions so that
                      if you make an error you will have everything.

                      You should make a partition for Vista that is at least 25 to 35gb.

                      The restore disks may have changed the resolution of your graphics and that
                      may have changed the size of your icons.

                      Vincent Winterling
                      Vineland, NJ