Re: [Simply Computers] CPU fan of my computer stops after just a little spin?

  • Mr Edward Storm IV
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      The fan connection is realy what you need to troubleshoot I wuold think. Normaly mother boards have sevral of these connectors in case you have more than one fan. None of the power led,or other connections for the case realy have anything to do with what you are having problems with.
      U can chek to see if the CPU is still working if your machine boots up.
      I would not leave the sys tem running for long with out a CPU fan and I wuld say that if you have tried several fans and they do the same thing then its a mobo connecer prob. You can purchase fans that run of the power suply power and that may be what you may need.

      sid <dhindsasid@...> wrote:
      whenever i turn on my computer, cpu fan spin for just 1-2 sec and it stops after that ..i have tried another fan too but it was showing same problem with other one too ..so right now nothing is coming up on screen..i m not sure if its processor is totally damaged now ..is their anyway we can check if processor is still working?
      I m curious to learn about motherboard. i have so many wires coming out from front panel designated as power SW, LED, HDD ..but i m not sure where can i connect it on motherbaordl. this is my old computer and i always try some experiments on it to learn something new. Could u provide me any website or link where i can find some info about motherboard connections?
      what are the things we need to consider before buying a new motherboard ?
      would really appreciate ur help.

    • avbsantos2
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        Don't exclude the possibility of it being caused by a bad power supply.

        Armando
        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Mr Edward Storm IV

      • Kahlua53@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
          Hello
          From what I read in this message. It sounds like the mother board
          controls the fan. It may only turn on as or when it's needed.
          I have a gateway dual core that has a fan that spins really fast then slows
          way down. When I turn it on. It may stop, but I never had any reason to check
          it out. Since it was new when I got it and I hardly use it now anyway unless
          I need special work done.
          But as for this system that I use all the time. I have a sensor installed on
          the heat sink for the CPU and I also downloaded a program that monitors the
          fans, temp and voltages in the computer (it may not work with all
          motherboards).
          So you might not have a problem. Unless you noticed changes in the operation
          and have no reason for it to happen.

          Good Luck,
          Jeff

          --- In _simplycomputers2@simplycomputsim_
          (mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com) , Mr Edward Storm IV

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
            From my professional opinion if you are booting into windows you dont have a power supply problem, I would look online for a CPU fan that is powered by the powersupply and not the MOBO it would just have a different connector for power like the oe you use to connect your hard drive/CD Rom into.

            avbsantos2 <avbsantos2@...> wrote: Don't exclude the possibility of it being caused by a bad power supply.

            <retts1@...> wrote:

            > The fan connection is realy what you need to troubleshoot I wuold
            think. Normaly mother boards have sevral of these connectors in case
            you have more than one fan. None of the power led,or other connections
            for the case realy have anything to do with what you are having
            problems with.
            > U can chek to see if the CPU is still working if your machine
            boots up.
            > I would not leave the sys tem running for long with out a CPU fan
            and I wuld say that if you have tried several fans and they do the
            same thing then its a mobo connecer prob. You can purchase fans that
            run of the power suply power and that may be what you may need.

            > sid <dhindsasid@...> wrote:
            > whenever i turn on my computer, cpu fan spin for just 1-2
            sec and it stops after that ..i have tried another fan too but it was
            showing same problem with other one too ..so right now nothing is
            coming up on screen..i m not sure if its processor is totally damaged
            now ..is their anyway we can check if processor is still working?
            > I m curious to learn about motherboard. i have so many wires coming
            out from front panel designated as power SW, LED, HDD ..but i m not
            sure where can i connect it on motherbaordl. this is my old computer
            and i always try some experiments on it to learn something new. Could
            u provide me any website or link where i can find some info about
            motherboard connections?
            > what are the things we need to consider before buying a new
            motherboard ?
            > would really appreciate ur help.

            Edward Storm
            Profesional Computer Engineer
            A+ ,Network+ , Security+ ,MCSE ,CCNA
            Phone (817) 715-9649
            retts1@...

          • avbsantos2
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
              He clearly states "whenever i turn on my computer, cpu fan spin for
              just 1-2 sec and it stops after that .. i have tried another fan too
              but it was showing same problem with other one too .. so right now
              nothing is coming up on screen.. i m not sure if its processor is
              totally damaged".

              It's obvious then that the machine doesn't boot, don't you think then
              that the PS may be the cause?

              That's my amateurish conclusion.

              <retts1@...> wrote:

              > From my professional opinion if you are booting into windows you
              dont have a power supply problem, I would look online for a CPU fan
              that is powered by the powersupply and not the MOBO it would just have
              a different connector for power like the oe you use to connect your
              hard drive/CD Rom into.

              > avbsantos2 <avbsantos2@...> wrote: Don't exclude the
              possibility of it being caused by a bad power supply.

              > Armando
              > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Mr Edward Storm IV
              > <retts1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The fan connection is realy what you need to troubleshoot I wuold
              > think. Normaly mother boards have sevral of these connectors in case
              > you have more than one fan. None of the power led,or other connections
              > for the case realy have anything to do with what you are having
              > problems with.
              > > U can chek to see if the CPU is still working if your machine
              > boots up.
              > > I would not leave the sys tem running for long with out a CPU fan
              > and I wuld say that if you have tried several fans and they do the
              > same thing then its a mobo connecer prob. You can purchase fans that
              > run of the power suply power and that may be what you may need.
              > >
              > > sid <dhindsasid@> wrote:
              > > whenever i turn on my computer, cpu fan spin for just 1-2
              > sec and it stops after that ..i have tried another fan too but it was
              > showing same problem with other one too ..so right now nothing is
              > coming up on screen..i m not sure if its processor is totally damaged
              > now ..is their anyway we can check if processor is still working?
              > > I m curious to learn about motherboard. i have so many wires coming
              > out from front panel designated as power SW, LED, HDD ..but i m not
              > sure where can i connect it on motherbaordl. this is my old computer
              > and i always try some experiments on it to learn something new. Could
              > u provide me any website or link where i can find some info about
              > motherboard connections?
              > > what are the things we need to consider before buying a new
              > motherboard ?
              > > would really appreciate ur help.

              > Edward Storm
              > Profesional Computer Engineer
              > A+ ,Network+ , Security+ ,MCSE ,CCNA
              > Phone (817) 715-9649
              > retts1@...

            • Norm Higgs
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
                I guess you missed this line in the original post:

                "so right now nothing is coming up on screen."

                Obviously the machine is not booting at all.
                --
                Norm Higgs
                http://forbiddenpc.com

                Mr Edward Storm IV wrote:
                > >From my professional opinion if you are booting into windows you dont have a power supply problem, I would look online for a CPU fan that is powered by the powersupply and not the MOBO it would just have a different connector for power like the oe you use to connect your hard drive/CD Rom into.
                >
                > avbsantos2 <avbsantos2@...> wrote: Don't exclude the possibility of it being caused by a bad power supply.
                >
                > Armando
                > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Mr Edward Storm IV
                > <retts1@...> wrote:
                >
                >> The fan connection is realy what you need to troubleshoot I wuold
                >>
                > think. Normaly mother boards have sevral of these connectors in case
                > you have more than one fan. None of the power led,or other connections
                > for the case realy have anything to do with what you are having
                > problems with.
                >
                >> U can chek to see if the CPU is still working if your machine
                >>
                > boots up.
                >
                >> I would not leave the sys tem running for long with out a CPU fan
                >>
                > and I wuld say that if you have tried several fans and they do the
                > same thing then its a mobo connecer prob. You can purchase fans that
                > run of the power suply power and that may be what you may need.
                >
                >> sid <dhindsasid@...> wrote:
                >> whenever i turn on my computer, cpu fan spin for just 1-2
                >>
                > sec and it stops after that ..i have tried another fan too but it was
                > showing same problem with other one too ..so right now nothing is
                > coming up on screen..i m not sure if its processor is totally damaged
                > now ..is their anyway we can check if processor is still working?
                >
                >> I m curious to learn about motherboard. i have so many wires coming
                >>
                > out from front panel designated as power SW, LED, HDD ..but i m not
                > sure where can i connect it on motherbaordl. this is my old computer
                > and i always try some experiments on it to learn something new. Could
                > u provide me any website or link where i can find some info about
                > motherboard connections?
                >
                >> what are the things we need to consider before buying a new
                >>
                > motherboard ?
                >
                >> would really appreciate ur help.

                > Edward Storm
                > Profesional Computer Engineer
                > A+ ,Network+ , Security+ ,MCSE ,CCNA
                > Phone (817) 715-9649
                > retts1@...

              • Ali
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
                  the guy who experiencing the cpu-fan problem should really get a way to decrease the heatness of cpu, its not matter where he connects the cpu fan cable, even system case fan connector should make it spin.

                  the cause of "not getting anything on screen" , is overheat of cpu.