Re: [Simply Computers] Question about RAM

  • Hady Susanto
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
      I think RAM has two notches is SDRAM and one notch is SDRAM.

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
        Sounds like the Ebay seller passed off 'regular' SDRAM as DDR SDRAM.
        Ordinary SDRAM has two notches, while DDR has one notch.

        --
        Norm Higgs
        http://forbiddenpc.com

        Lorrie wrote:
        > A friend wanted to update her computer by adding RAM. I have done this
        > before but her computer was newer than the ones I have worked on. It
        > was a Dell Dimension 4400. So not sure what type of RAM it took, I got
        > online to look at the specs and it said PC2100 DDR266 184 pin and she
        > wanted 512 MB.... so I got on ebay and got a good price on it. When I
        > went to install it in her computer it wouldn't fit. I had an old piece
        > of PC2100 that was 128 MB that fit so she seemed ok with that. However
        > I couldn't figure out why the other one didn't push all the way down
        > into the RAM bay. On closer inspection I see that the old RAM has two
        > notches in the bottom and the one I bought has only one. I guess all
        > PC2100 is not created equal. Can someone enlighten me as two what the
        > difference is and what did I buy vs. what I should have bought?? Thanks.

      • Lorrie
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
          Well I am really confused now. The memory stick that actually fit into
          the Dell Dimension 4400 was from an Emachine T2341. I researched the
          type of RAM that came with the T2341 and it says PC2100 266 mhz DDR
          SDRAM DIMM 184 pin ..... yet when I google for RAM for the T2341 I get
          pictures of RAM with only one notch yet the one from that computer had
          2 notches. The same when I google for RAM for the Dimension 4400... it
          gives pictures of RAM with only one notch on the bottom yet only the
          type of RAM with 2 notches fit into it. So far only one picture for
          RAM upgrades to the T2341 had two notches and it said it was PC2100,
          brand new 1GB DIMM for desktops. This is not dire but it is a mystery
          that I'd like to solve especially if I plan to upgrade more computers
          in the future. I guess I'd like to think I know what I'm doing. So my
          basic question is what constitutes the difference and why does the RAM
          specified for a particular model not fit in it?

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Lorrie" <waza25@...> wrote:

          > A friend wanted to update her computer by adding RAM. I have done this
          > before but her computer was newer than the ones I have worked on. It
          > was a Dell Dimension 4400. So not sure what type of RAM it took, I got
          > online to look at the specs and it said PC2100 DDR266 184 pin and she
          > wanted 512 MB.... so I got on ebay and got a good price on it. When I
          > went to install it in her computer it wouldn't fit. I had an old piece
          > of PC2100 that was 128 MB that fit so she seemed ok with that. However
          > I couldn't figure out why the other one didn't push all the way down
          > into the RAM bay. On closer inspection I see that the old RAM has two
          > notches in the bottom and the one I bought has only one. I guess all
          > PC2100 is not created equal. Can someone enlighten me as two what the
          > difference is and what did I buy vs. what I should have bought?? Thanks.

        • cherokee180pilot
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
            Hi Lorie,
            Is it possible that someone has replaced the motherboard in this
            machine, or that it's not a Dell 4400, but rather a 4100 or 4300
            (those models use SDRAM)? DDR memory for desktop machines always has
            one notch; SDRAM has two. If the old RAM had 2 notches, it's SDRAM,
            not DDR. It sounds like you receved the correct DDR module for a
            Dimension 4400; if the module you received doesn't fit, but one with
            2 notches does, then you need SDRAM, and this is probably not a
            factory original Dimension 4400.
            Steve

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
              --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "cherokee180pilot"
              <cherokee180pilot@...> wrote:

              That occurred to me also, that someone might have changed the
              motherboard in the dell dimension 4400 .... however when I google for
              RAM for the Emachine T2341 it shows the same DDR, one notch RAM, yet
              that wasn't what was in it. I find it unlikely that both of the
              computers happened to have different motherboards installed in them
              both of which take the 2 notch SDRAM. I am hoping that as I learn more
              about computers in general I will figure it all out and then it will
              seem simple. I did learn that I won't order RAM for anyone else's
              computer until I take out what they have and look it over to see just
              what is in there. Live and learn. Thanks to everyone who responded.
              The people here are so nice. :)

              Lorrie

            • cherokee180pilot
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
                Hi Lorrie,
                It's likely that the Emachines motherboard has been changed as
                well; many inexpensive machines have a less than stellar reputation
                for reliability. If you can put SDRAM into these machines (2
                notches), then neither one has the original motherboard.
                Whenever someone asks me to upgrade a machine for them, I always
                verify what I am starting with, as I never know what has previously
                been changed.
                Steve