Re: Monitor going bad ??

  • Phillip
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
      I don't have an extra monitor to try.
      Is there some else that I might try ?
      Phillip

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "avbsantos2" <avbsantos2@...>
      wrote:

      > Can you plug in a different monitor? If it continues to behave this
      > way you may have a graphics adapter problem and not a monitor problem.
      >
      > Armando
      > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip" <rvtips@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is my Dell LCD monitor going bad ?Running XP
      > > After it is on for an hour or so it seems to flicker and there is a
      red
      > > tint on the top and right side.
      > > Phillip

    • Norm Higgs
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
        Magnetic fields do not affect LCD's.

        --
        Norm Higgs
        http://forbiddenpc.com

        --
        Norm Higgs
        http://forbiddenpc.com
        http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
        https://linkedin.com/e/fpf/4018099
        http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276
      • sid
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
          Please check if u have any spekers on the side ..speakers have strong magnnets so create high magnetic field........very common in CRT monitors.

          Ali <macabreath@...> wrote: its better if you change is soon because it doesnt sound good really.

          is there a magnetic field near your monitor? overheating might be second issue.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
            This post is about a LCD monitor. There is no electron beam to be
            deflected by a magnetic field. Magnets have NO effect on turning pixels
            on and off. I have a big assed bare speaker in my hand, and I can put
            it right up to the face of this LCD monitor with no effect at all.

            If you are having red tint on your monitor, you have a failing lamp or
            two inside the panel. They are usually not very easy to replace, but I
            have done it many times myself. You will have to be able to disassemble
            the lcd panel AFTER you get it out of the plastic housing. There are
            multiple layers of light diffusing materials put together on top of a
            nice 1/2 inch thick piece of plexiglass type material, and the bulbs
            will be along the top and bottom of that in a channel, usually, If you
            can get it apart far enough to lift the channel out, you can either
            rplace the bad lamps individually, or if you have junkers around, you
            can find an exact match and just replace the whole channel with the 2 or
            3 lamps in it. Then put the layers back together and if you haven't
            left any finger prints or dust particles behind inside the layers,
            (Which you will be able to see forever) you will have your monitor back
            in good working condition. This is not an easy job, even if you have a
            lot of experience doing it. I always quote $150 to do it, and I
            generally just hope the owner is shocked and turns me down and buys a
            new one instead.

            Ardell Faul
            Computer Monitor Service Inc.
            Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
            10816 E. Mission Ave.,
            Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
            ardell@...
            509-891-5188

            sid wrote:

            > Please check if u have any spekers on the side ..speakers have strong
            > magnnets so create high magnetic field........very common in CRT
            > monitors.
            >
            > Ali <macabreath@... <mailto:macabreath%40gmail.com>> wrote: its
            > better if you change is soon because it doesnt sound good really.
            >
            > is there a magnetic field near your monitor? overheating might be
            > second issue.

          • cherokee180pilot
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
              Hi Philip,
              Flickering and a red tint on an LCD monitor usually is caused by
              a failing backlight lamp or the inverter that powers the lamp. These
              parts are replaceable, but depending on the model and age of the
              monitor, it might be less expensive to simply replace the monitor if
              it's out of warranty.
              Steve

              wrote:

              > I don't have an extra monitor to try.
              > Is there some else that I might try ?
              > Phillip
              >
              > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "avbsantos2"
              <avbsantos2@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Can you plug in a different monitor? If it continues to behave
              this
              > > way you may have a graphics adapter problem and not a monitor
              problem.

              > > Armando
              > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip" <rvtips@>
              wrote:

              > > > Is my Dell LCD monitor going bad ?Running XP
              > > > After it is on for an hour or so it seems to flicker and there
              is a
              > red
              > > > tint on the top and right side.
              > > > Phillip

            • Norm Higgs
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                I repeat - Magnetic fields do not affect LCD monitors.

                --

                sid wrote:
                > Please check if u have any spekers on the side ..speakers have strong magnnets so create high magnetic field........very common in CRT monitors.
                >
                > Ali <macabreath@...> wrote: its better if you change is soon because it doesnt sound good really.
                >
                > is there a magnetic field near your monitor? overheating might be second issue.

              • Seth Ainsley
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Ali wrote:
                  > its better if you change is soon because it doesnt sound good really.
                  >
                  > is there a magnetic field near your monitor? overheating might be second issue.

                  ...Original poster said "Is my dell LCD monitor going bad..."

                  PLEASE read the original posts everyone! Magnetic fields DO NOT affect
                  LCDs, plain and simple.

                  Seth
                • Phillip Robinson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                    please read this website concerning lcd monitors.
                    http://www.computerhope.com/help/lcd.htm#01

                    sid wrote:
                    > Please check if u have any spekers on the side ..speakers have strong magnnets so create high magnetic field....... .very common in CRT monitors.
                    >
                    > Ali <macabreath@gmail. com> wrote: its better if you change is soon because it doesnt sound good really.
                    >
                    > is there a magnetic field near your monitor? overheating might be second issue.

                  • Norm Higgs
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                      I'm a an electronics technician - I already know how an LCD monitor
                      works. That site mentions nothing at all about magnetic fields.

                      --

                      Phillip Robinson wrote:
                      > please read this website concerning lcd monitors.
                      > http://www.computerhope.com/help/lcd.htm#01

                    • Ali
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2007