Re: MOBO or CPU or Ram

  • avbsantos2
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      Disconnect everything but a known good RAM module, video , keyboard
      and CPU with its cooling fan. Turn on PC and if it POSTs then shut it
      down and add/connect one other component. Turn it on and if it POSTs
      shut it down.

      Add/connect one other component and follow that process until you
      discover what it is that makes it come to a halt.

      PC Troubleshooting
      <http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-articles/troubleshooting-plus/>

      Armando
      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "happybird4" <happybird4@...>
      wrote:

      > My Dell Dimension 4400, Pen 4, Socket 775, 1.7 GHZ Intel processor,
      > works part-time. It freezes up, if I even get it to boot. After
      > freezing up and a hard shut off, it won't even boot or even show any
      > vidio on the screen. It is dead. I tried other power supplies, other
      > ram and nothing seems to work at this point.
      >
      > How do I know if it is the MOBO, Processor or Ram that is not working
      > with out frying something? I have everything else taken off.
      >
      > Let me have it!
      >
      > Bill

    • apwebb25
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        Check the CPU fan. I have had problems where it is working, but not
        turning fast enough to adaquately remove heat. After a while, the
        machine will crash.
        wrote:

        > My Dell Dimension 4400, Pen 4, Socket 775, 1.7 GHZ Intel processor,
        > works part-time. It freezes up, if I even get it to boot. After
        > freezing up and a hard shut off, it won't even boot or even show any
        > vidio on the screen. It is dead. I tried other power supplies, other
        > ram and nothing seems to work at this point.
        >
        > How do I know if it is the MOBO, Processor or Ram that is not working
        > with out frying something? I have everything else taken off.
        >
        > Let me have it!
        >
        > Bill

      • happybird4
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hi Armando:

          Thanks for your reply!

          I just tryed a known working power supply, Vidio Card and stick of
          Ram. There still is no life on the screen. There is no post. The
          MOBO, Ram, PUC and vidio card are the only things connected.

          What would you suggest next?

          Confused,

          Bill

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "avbsantos2"
          <avbsantos2@...> wrote:

          > Disconnect everything but a known good RAM module, video , keyboard
          > and CPU with its cooling fan. Turn on PC and if it POSTs then shut
          it
          > down and add/connect one other component. Turn it on and if it
          POSTs
          > shut it down.
          >
          > Add/connect one other component and follow that process until you
          > discover what it is that makes it come to a halt.
          >
          > PC Troubleshooting
          > <http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-articles/troubleshooting-plus/>
          >
          > Armando
          > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "happybird4" <happybird4@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > My Dell Dimension 4400, Pen 4, Socket 775, 1.7 GHZ Intel
          processor,
          > > works part-time. It freezes up, if I even get it to boot.
          After
          > > freezing up and a hard shut off, it won't even boot or even show
          any
          > > vidio on the screen. It is dead. I tried other power supplies,
          other
          > > ram and nothing seems to work at this point.
          > >
          > > How do I know if it is the MOBO, Processor or Ram that is not
          working
          > > with out frying something? I have everything else taken off.
          > >
          > > Let me have it!
          > >
          > > Bill

        • happybird4
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
            Hi Gregg:

            Thanks for the reply!

            I have used known working parts--power supply, vidio card, Ram stick
            and still no life. The screen does not even have a blink. How do I
            know if it is the processor or the MOBO?

            Confused:

            Bill

            --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <starryskyn@...>
            wrote:

            > Heat, dust in system
            > Bad power supply
            > Bad boot sector on HD
            > Trouble with viruses
            > Bad installation of OS
            > Clean up, clean out, disconnect, reconnect
            > Boot to Safe Mode
            > Use floppy boot disks or recovery disk
            > Do Windows repair install
            > Run check disk
            > Run disk repair utility.
            >
            > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "happybird4"
            <happybird4@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > My Dell Dimension 4400, Pen 4, Socket 775, 1.7 GHZ Intel
            processor,
            > > works part-time. It freezes up, if I even get it to boot.
            After
            > > freezing up and a hard shut off, it won't even boot or even show
            any
            > > vidio on the screen. It is dead. I tried other power supplies,
            other
            > > ram and nothing seems to work at this point.
            > >
            > > How do I know if it is the MOBO, Processor or Ram that is not
            working
            > > with out frying something? I have everything else taken off.
            > >
            > > Let me have it!
            > >
            > > Bill

          • avbsantos2
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
              Unless you have a spare CPU thereabouts then your best bet would be to
              closely inspect your MOBO for leaky or bulging capacitors. I have even
              seen these in the failed power supplies.

              Check out these images so you can get an idea as to what a leaking or
              bulging capacitor is. If you find that on your MOBO then you can bet
              your sweet bippie the MOBO is the culprit:

              This one shows one bulging and one leaky capacitor:
              <http://www.gabston-howell.org/tech/images/bro/thumbs/12-leaky.caps.removed.png>

              And this one shows all 3, bulging, normal in the center and a leaky one:
              <http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/PG2C/Images/leakycap-4.JPG>

              HTH,