How to dispose of an old computer

  • Marti H.
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hi Group,
      I have a laptop that no longer works, have removed all
      the files. What is the best way to dispose of it?

      Any ideas?
      thanks

      Marti

      Don't pick lemons.
      See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
      http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
    • mishamcm2003
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
        First off, if you just deleted your files, I'd recommend securely
        wiping it using Darik's Boot and Nuke dban.sourceforge.net to make
        sure no one recovers your private data. Depending what's wrong with
        it, there are plenty of people who refurbish defunct computers and
        donate them to charity -- if you tell us what you know about what
        doesn't work and what the make and model are, we'll have a better idea
        if it's worth donating. If not, and no one wants the parts, check the
        manufacturer's website for info on recycling -- often there's no
        charge or a small charge for them to send packing material so you can
        ship it to them for recycling.

        Mike Miller
        Rowan Consulting
        http://www.fixmypcmike.com

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Marti H." <agape44136@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        > I have a laptop that no longer works, have removed all
        > the files. What is the best way to dispose of it?
        >
        > Any ideas?
        > thanks
        >

        > Marti
      • go2geo2
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
          What do mean by "the best way dispose of it"?
          Do you mean to:
          Sell it?
          Give it away?
          Recycle it?
          Trash it?
          Which do prefer to do?

          --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "mishamcm2003" <mcm@...>
          wrote:

          > First off, if you just deleted your files, I'd recommend securely
          > wiping it using Darik's Boot and Nuke dban.sourceforge.net to make
          > sure no one recovers your private data. Depending what's wrong
          with
          > it, there are plenty of people who refurbish defunct computers and
          > donate them to charity -- if you tell us what you know about what
          > doesn't work and what the make and model are, we'll have a better
          idea
          > if it's worth donating. If not, and no one wants the parts, check
          the
          > manufacturer's website for info on recycling -- often there's no
          > charge or a small charge for them to send packing material so you
          can
          > ship it to them for recycling.
          >
          > Mike Miller
          > Rowan Consulting
          > http://www.fixmypcmike.com
          >

          > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Marti H." <agape44136@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi Group,
          > > I have a laptop that no longer works, have removed all
          > > the files. What is the best way to dispose of it?
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > > thanks
          > >

          > > Marti

        • Nifty
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
            I can dispose of it for you safely :-)

            _____

            I have a laptop that no longer works, have removed all
            the files. What is the best way to dispose of it?

            Any ideas?
            thanks

            Marti

            Don't pick lemons.
            See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
            http://autos. <http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html> yahoo.com/new_cars.html

          • Manolo Rosana
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
              Check with your city or your recycling center. Some city does not allow CRT to go to a landfill.

              Sounds like your HDD is working fine though since you were able to remove the files. How big is your HDD? Is it worth converting it for desktop use (ie. get an adapter so you could install it on one of your computer's drive bay)?

              -FrontSlashPeriod

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                The computer I would like to dispose of, is an old HP
                laptop, the monitor went out, to replace would cost
                $300. and up, not worst the $$$ or time, in order to
                transfer the files out, I connected the monitor from
                my desktop computer.
                When we replaced the desktop, was able to donated it
                to the Purple Heart, they told me as long it works,
                they will take it, however is the different story now.
                Someone on the list advised to contact HP, possible
                they can use if for spare parts.
                If someone has other ideas, they are welcome.

                Marti

                Cheap talk?
                http://voice.yahoo.com
              • Reggie on the Road
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Actually the monitor isn't so hard to replace...just a bit of a learning
                  curve and some $$$ but at least you aren't throwing it out.

                  Marti H. wrote:
                  > The computer I would like to dispose of, is an old HP
                  > laptop, the monitor went out, to replace would cost
                  > $300. and up, not worst the $$$ or time, in order to
                  > transfer the files out, I connected the monitor from
                  > my desktop computer.
                  > When we replaced the desktop, was able to donated it
                  > to the Purple Heart, they told me as long it works,
                  > they will take it, however is the different story now.
                  > Someone on the list advised to contact HP, possible
                  > they can use if for spare parts.
                  > If someone has other ideas, they are welcome.
                  >
                  > Marti

                • mishamcm2003
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Just make sure you securely wipe the hard drive first. HP will take
                    it for recycling for free or for a small fee. If you post the model
                    number or specs, I or someone else might be able to use the parts.

                    _______________
                    > Cheap talk?
                    > http://voice.yahoo.com

                  • Ardell Faul
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Put it on Ebay. There is probably some person looking for a part that
                      is in yours, and if he doesn't find it, there will be 2 laptops heading
                      for the landfill. I am amazed at what people will buy on Ebay, even
                      though you might consider it junk. When I need a part for an old laptop
                      that I am working on, Ebay is the first place I go to look for it. If
                      nobody put their obsolete units for sale there, I would have a much
                      more difficult time finding parts for them.

                      Ardell Faul
                      Computer Monitor Service Inc.
                      Laptop Computer & Monitor Repair
                      10816 E. Mission Ave.,
                      Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
                      ardell@...
                      509-891-5188

                      Marti H. wrote:

                      >The computer I would like to dispose of, is an old HP
                      >laptop, the monitor went out, to replace would cost
                      >$300. and up, not worst the $$$ or time, in order to
                      >transfer the files out, I connected the monitor from
                      >my desktop computer.
                      >When we replaced the desktop, was able to donated it
                      >to the Purple Heart, they told me as long it works,
                      >they will take it, however is the different story now.
                      >Someone on the list advised to contact HP, possible
                      >they can use if for spare parts.
                      >If someone has other ideas, they are welcome.
                      >
                      > Marti

                      >Cheap talk?
                      >Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.
                      >http://voice.yahoo.com
                      >

                      >Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7). Providing 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 12,000 members Simply Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on the Internet.
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Silver
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                        Hi you can always FREECYCLE it .. that is a yahoo group.. they are found
                        all over the world. Keeps stuff out of our land fills. Some one may need a
                        part urs has in it. www.freecycle.org

                        Leanne
                        Gold Coast Aus

                        _______________
                        > Cheap talk?
                        > http://voice.yahoo.com

                      • emile brown
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3, 2007
                          Hi Group,

                          If you are in the So. California area, I found a non-profit electronic recycler who will take old computers, t.v.'s, etc. Good guys, contact info below:

                          A Better World Recycling
                          800-794-3878
                          323-294-9821
                          wdkk@...

                          Good luck

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
                            More options for anybody in the USA and Canada:
                            http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s=ls&cat=1&serviceid=85&state=CA

                            --Ratamacue

                          • webbot@swbell.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
                              I take mine to the Boy's Club of America..the kids are bright and great, but
                              sometimes the supervisors are dumb as mud..--Phyllis

                              > More options for anybody in the USA and Canada:
                              > http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s=ls&cat=1&serviceid=85&state=CA
                              >
                              > --Ratamacue
                              >

                              > emile brown wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Hi Group,
                              >>
                              >> If you are in the So. California area, I found a non-profit electronic
                              >> recycler who will take old computers, t.v.'s, etc. Good guys, contact
                              >> info below:
                              >>
                              >> A Better World Recycling
                              >> 800-794-3878
                              >> 323-294-9821
                              >> wdkk@... <mailto:wdkk%40aol.com>
                              >>
                              >> Good luck
                              >>
                              >> Manolo Rosana <frontslashperiod@...
                              >> <mailto:frontslashperiod%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                              >> Check with your city or your recycling center. Some city does not
                              >> allow CRT to go to a landfill.
                              >>
                              >> Sounds like your HDD is working fine though since you were able to
                              >> remove the files. How big is your HDD? Is it worth converting it for
                              >> desktop use (ie. get an adapter so you could install it on one of your
                              >> computer's drive bay)?
                              >>
                              >> -FrontSlashPeriod

                            • DaveO
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
                                They are (on both counts), but, the name "Boys Club of America" was
                                replaced/changed in the mid 80's to Boys & Girls Clubs of America.. Just
                                to clarify.. :)

                                webbot@... wrote:
                                > I take mine to the Boy's Club of America..the kids are bright and great, but
                                > sometimes the supervisors are dumb as mud..--Phyllis

                                >>> 323-294-9821
                                >>> wdkk@... <mailto:wdkk%40aol.com>
                                >>>
                                >>> Good luck
                                >>>
                                >>> Manolo Rosana <frontslashperiod@...
                                >>> <mailto:frontslashperiod%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                                >>> Check with your city or your recycling center. Some city does not
                                >>> allow CRT to go to a landfill.
                                >>>
                                >>> Sounds like your HDD is working fine though since you were able to
                                >>> remove the files. How big is your HDD? Is it worth converting it for
                                >>> desktop use (ie. get an adapter so you could install it on one of your
                                >>> computer's drive bay)?
                                >>>
                                >>> -FrontSlashPeriod

                              • Sharon Wertz
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
                                  wrote:

                                  > Hi Group,
                                  > I have a laptop that no longer works, have removed all
                                  > the files. What is the best way to dispose of it?
                                  >
                                  > Any ideas?
                                  > thanks
                                  >

                                  > Marti
                                  Put it up on freecycle. Someone can always use it as a desktop
                                  computer with an external monitor if everything else works. Better
                                  than no computer at all.

                                  Be sure to include the restore disks that came with it if you have
                                  them, as those old drivers can be hard to come by.

                                  Sharon
                                • Phyllis Christian
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
                                    Thanks, I just am not up to date on the world anymore..lol..--Phyllis

                                    webbot@... wrote:
                                    > I take mine to the Boy's Club of America..the kids are bright and great,
                                    > but
                                    > sometimes the supervisors are dumb as mud..--Phyllis

                                    >>> 323-294-9821
                                    >>> wdkk@... <mailto:wdkk%40aol.com>
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Good luck
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Manolo Rosana <frontslashperiod@...
                                    >>> <mailto:frontslashperiod%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                                    >>> Check with your city or your recycling center. Some city does not
                                    >>> allow CRT to go to a landfill.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Sounds like your HDD is working fine though since you were able to
                                    >>> remove the files. How big is your HDD? Is it worth converting it for
                                    >>> desktop use (ie. get an adapter so you could install it on one of your
                                    >>> computer's drive bay)?
                                    >>>
                                    >>> -FrontSlashPeriod

                                    http://www.eset.com
                                  • dkw5334
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 17, 2007
                                      Hi marti, I have to ask how did you remove your files, because just
                                      deleting them or even reformating the hard drive is not enough your
                                      files are still on your hard drive and with the right software very
                                      much readable. The only sure way to make sure that your private
                                      information stays that way (Private) is to remove the hard drive and
                                      take a hammer to it. You can also try aome of the software programs
                                      out there designed to wipe hard drives clean but rely upon these at
                                      your own risk...As for your question on how to dispose of a used
                                      laptop/computer that no longer works you could give it a local
                                      computer repair shop I am sure they would be glad to take it off your
                                      hands as they could recyle alot of the hardware. You could also sell
                                      it on an online auction service as maybe some one out there is in
                                      need of a parts computer to fix there computer and that would help
                                      them out... If it is atill in woking order and the only reason you
                                      are getting rid of it is because you upgraded you could donate your
                                      older one to a needy famliy with kids. Who knows you could really
                                      make a diffence in a kids life who other wise would not be explosed
                                      to computers. Thats what the wife and I do with our old working
                                      computers we donate them to the needy. Just remember to wipe the hard
                                      drive clean or better yet destory the old hard drive and buy a new
                                      one before donating it to the needy. I am sure fellow members have
                                      other means to dispose of old computer and it would be nice to hear
                                      from them as well.

                                      thanks for the Gr8 question

                                      Doug