Re: [Simply Computers] Hi new member

  • bridget lawley
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi I did start/my computer harddrive(c) windows and things like yacs, xpsplhfm, wmsetup, wmsyspr9.prx, $ms131unin., $ntuninstall(about 40 of these) kb920670(about 60 of these) plus a whole lot more came up but still I did not see prefetched folders most of the things that did come up was in a notepad. Honestly, I did not know all this stuff was in here. There was a harddrive PRESARIO_RP that said recovery partition.

      Ian Fyvie <ian.fyvie@...> wrote: To find the prefetch folder click "Start/My Computer" ... select your
      harddrive (c normally) and click on Windows.

      You should see the "prefetch folder" ... open it.

      Click on the first file ... then press Ctrl&A (this should select all the
      files)

      Now right click on the first file and select delete (this will not do any
      harm)

      If you do not have Advanced WindowsCare installed ... it is a good tool for
      keeping your computer clean.
      You can download it here http://www.iobit.com/

      Install it and do a full system scan ... then you can quickly do a scan
      before turning your computer off for the night.

      Re-Music programs only you can decide .. windows comes with Windows media
      player and possibly a movie player. No need for multiple tools for doing the
      same thing.

      The Ferret
      http://www.thecryptmag.com
      For Computer hints and tips
      WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
      SKYPE - webferret5

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
        It is possible that the original owner disabled the "Prefetch Folder" and
        deleted it.

        Have you managed to clear suffient space to do the Defrag?

        The Ferret
        http://www.thecryptmag.com
        For Computer hints and tips
        WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
        SKYPE - webferret5

        > Hi I did start/my computer harddrive(c) windows and things like yacs,
        > xpsplhfm, wmsetup, wmsyspr9.prx, $ms131unin., $ntuninstall(about 40 of
        > these) kb920670(about 60 of these) plus a whole lot more came up but still
        > I did not see prefetched folders most of the things that did come up was
        > in a notepad. Honestly, I did not know all this stuff was in here. There
        > was a harddrive PRESARIO_RP that said recovery partition.
        >
        > Ian Fyvie <ian.fyvie@...> wrote: To find the
        > prefetch folder click "Start/My Computer" ... select your
        > harddrive (c normally) and click on Windows.
        >
        > You should see the "prefetch folder" ... open it.
        >
        > Click on the first file ... then press Ctrl&A (this should select all the
        > files)
        >
        > Now right click on the first file and select delete (this will not do any
        > harm)
        >
        > If you do not have Advanced WindowsCare installed ... it is a good tool
        > for
        > keeping your computer clean.
        > You can download it here http://www.iobit.com/
        >
        > Install it and do a full system scan ... then you can quickly do a scan
        > before turning your computer off for the night.
        >
        > Re-Music programs only you can decide .. windows comes with Windows media
        > player and possibly a movie player. No need for multiple tools for doing
        > the
        > same thing.
        >
        > The Ferret
        > http://www.thecryptmag.com
        > For Computer hints and tips
        > WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
        > SKYPE - webferret5

        The Ferret
        http://www.thecryptmag.com
        For Computer hints and tips
        WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
        SKYPE - webferret5
      • Manolo Rosana
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
          If you can't find the Prefetch folder using the Graphical User Interface, try this:
          1. Click Start then Run. At the Run window, type cmd to open a cmd.exe (DOS) box window.
          2. At the cmd.exe window type:
          cd \ <enter key>
          to change the directory to C:\
          3. At the C:\
          type
          dir prefetch /s
          The last command (dir folder_name /s) would search your system for the folder you are trying to locate (in this case prefetch) from your root your drive (C:\) to its sub-folder.

          Below is the screen dump of the step I did when I search for the prefetch folder
          C:\Documents and Settings\mrjuniex>cd \
          C:\>dir prefetc* /s
          Volume in drive C has no label.
          Volume Serial Number is 4476-6910
          Directory of C:\WINNT
          02/01/2007 12:59 PM <DIR> Prefetch
          0 File(s) 0 bytes
          Total Files Listed:
          0 File(s) 0 bytes
          1 Dir(s) 31,110,556,672 bytes free
          End of screen dump

          If you are not familiar in cleaning (deleting files) up your system in the cmd.exe window, please post back the result and we'll show you how to do it in GUI mode.

          -FrontSlashPeriod

          > Hi I did start/my computer harddrive(c) windows and things like yacs,
          > xpsplhfm, wmsetup, wmsyspr9.prx, $ms131unin., $ntuninstall( about 40 of
          > these) kb920670(about 60 of these) plus a whole lot more came up but still
          > I did not see prefetched folders most of the things that did come up was
          > in a notepad. Honestly, I did not know all this stuff was in here. There
          > was a harddrive PRESARIO_RP that said recovery partition.
          >
          > Ian Fyvie <ian.fyvie@blueyonde r.co.uk> wrote: To find the
          > prefetch folder click "Start/My Computer" ... select your
          > harddrive (c normally) and click on Windows.
          >
          > You should see the "prefetch folder" ... open it.
          >
          > Click on the first file ... then press Ctrl&A (this should select all the
          > files)
          >
          > Now right click on the first file and select delete (this will not do any
          > harm)
          >
          > If you do not have Advanced WindowsCare installed ... it is a good tool
          > for
          > keeping your computer clean.
          > You can download it here http://www.iobit. com/
          >
          > Install it and do a full system scan ... then you can quickly do a scan
          > before turning your computer off for the night.
          >
          > Re-Music programs only you can decide .. windows comes with Windows media
          > player and possibly a movie player. No need for multiple tools for doing
          > the
          > same thing.
          >
          > The Ferret
          > http://www.thecrypt mag.com
          > For Computer hints and tips
          > WinXP/Linux/ Amiga/Mac
          > SKYPE - webferret5

          The Ferret
          http://www.thecrypt mag.com
          For Computer hints and tips
          WinXP/Linux/ Amiga/Mac
          SKYPE - webferret5

        • bridget lawley

            > ok it is windows xp. I can not find the prefetch folder and brian just
            > deleted the temp files. The internet explorer is not on. I have found alot
            > of stuff just looking at the control panel files. We dont have any
            > downloaded music sites or movies but there is alot of movie makers and
            > music things there. Do I need these things?
            >
            > Ian Fyvie <ian.fyvie@...> wrote: ----- Original
            > Message -----

            The Ferret
            http://www.thecryptmag.com
            For Computer hints and tips
            WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
            SKYPE - webferret5

          • Ian Fyvie
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2007
              > ok Im busy now, finding stuff. Do you know what MotorolaSM56 software
              > modem is? It says you can recieve data up to 56kbps in v.90 or k56
              > Flexmodes, recieve faxes, answering machine, voice calls and use video
              > phone but we do not need all that we have a fax machine on a phone line,
              > answering machine on a phone. The file name reads
              > c:\windows\motorola\SMSERIAL. Do you know if this is something i can take
              > off?

              Sound like the program is for the internal modem in your machine, best leave
              it. How do you connect to the internet at present.

              Now the harddrive- I went to the defragment part and the harddrive(c) is 95%
              free space, the harddrive- Presario RP(D) has 12% (file system is fat32). So
              harddrive (C) worked good. What can I do with the other one?

              What program are installed on your (d) drive, is there anything there you
              don`t use?

              The Ferret
              http://www.thecryptmag.com
              For Computer hints and tips
              WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
              SKYPE - webferret5

              > Ian Fyvie <ian.fyvie@...> wrote: To find the
              > prefetch folder click "Start/My Computer" ... select your
              > harddrive (c normally) and click on Windows.
              >
              > You should see the "prefetch folder" ... open it.
              >
              > Click on the first file ... then press Ctrl&A (this should select all the
              > files)
              >
              > Now right click on the first file and select delete (this will not do any
              > harm)
              >
              > If you do not have Advanced WindowsCare installed ... it is a good tool
              > for
              > keeping your computer clean.
              > You can download it here http://www.iobit.com/
              >
              > Install it and do a full system scan ... then you can quickly do a scan
              > before turning your computer off for the night.
              >
              > Re-Music programs only you can decide .. windows comes with Windows media
              > player and possibly a movie player. No need for multiple tools for doing
              > the
              > same thing.
              >
              > The Ferret
              > http://www.thecryptmag.com
              > For Computer hints and tips
              > WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
              > SKYPE - webferret5

              The Ferret
              http://www.thecryptmag.com
              For Computer hints and tips
              WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac
              SKYPE - webferret5
            • bridget lawley
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2007
                Hi. I am not sure what is on the D driver. Brian called the people he got this computer from and they said for him to leave the D driver alone it was necessary stuff for the recovery files. Brian found the prefetch folder and deleted everything then went thru the add/delete on the control panel, took off everything that we have not used since we got this thing then run a clean-up file, went back to defragment it and it said 0% free space and still the guy said leave it alone since we work out of C drive anyway. So Im leaving it alone. Thanks for the help.

                The Ferret
                http://www.thecryptmag.com
                For Computer hints and tips
                WinXP/Linux/Amiga/Mac