Re: Computer sloooowdown

  • dfwtcm
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006
      This can be caused by 2 things:
      1 You more than likely have a virus on your system.
      Question: in the 18 months with Norton have you updated the antivirus
      software. Norton is only good for a 12 month subscription, after that
      unless you extend the subscription your computer will be unprotected.
      2 Have you tried to install more memory?

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Duane Stephenson"
      <msdee@...> wrote:

      > I have a Dell Dimension 2400. It it about 18 months old.
      > I also have a very good anti virus program and a good spy ware
      > detector. They both run each day and I defragment as often as I
      need to.
      > There are no spy ware and no viruses on my machine. I try to keep
      > from downloading any and everything in order to keep my machine free
      > from these things. In spite of all I can do and several people
      > checking my computer, it is still so slow It's driving me nuts.
      > Can anyone tell me what I can do to improve the speed??
      > Thanks!
      > MsDee

    • Armando Barreiro
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
        IMO, Norton will slow down any PC. Grisoft AVG is free and is highly
        recomended. To unistall Norton's you will have to use their
        uninstallation utility:
        <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>
        or http://tinyurl.com/6oq8f
        Free Grisoft:
        <http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5>

        You should check your PC for spyware and malware with the help of the
        free tools listed in this group's wiki on spyware:
        http://simplycomputers.davidron.com/spyware
        <http://tinyurl.com/adoqo>

        To further expedite your aging XP system see the articles
        "improving windows xp performance" Parts I and II here:
        <http://search.techrepublic.com.com/index.php?q=improving+windows+xp+performance&c=1&t=0>
        or http://tinyurl.com/yyxru9

        HTH,
        Armando
        <msdee@...> wrote:

        > I have a Dell Dimension 2400. It it about 18 months old.
        > I also have a very good anti virus program and a good spy ware
        > detector. They both run each day and I defragment as often as I need to.
        > There are no spy ware and no viruses on my machine. I try to keep
        > from downloading any and everything in order to keep my machine free
        > from these things. In spite of all I can do and several people
        > checking my computer, it is still so slow It's driving me nuts.
        > Can anyone tell me what I can do to improve the speed??
        > Thanks!
        > MsDee

      • Tom Appich
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
          A related measure you can take is to go to Start - Run and type in
          "msconfig" (without the quotation marks), and hit Enter. This will
          bring up a window with several tabs. Click on the Startup tab. This tab
          will list all of the programs that start automatically when your machine
          boots up. You can safely uncheck any duplicate entries. After that,
          look for things like MSN messenger, Adobe Speed Start (I think that is
          the name), anything that is called an "updater", and uncheck those.
          Don't uncheck your virus scanner or antispyware programs, and be careful
          about unchecking anything that you don't recognize unless you research
          it on the Web. Unchecking these programs does not remove them; it just
          keeps them from starting automatically. You can still run them from
          Start - Programs if you need them, but you don't need to have them
          running all the time since all they do is bog your system down. After
          you have made your selections, hit Apply and OK. You will then need to
          reboot to make the changes take effect. Once the machine reboots, a
          window will appear saying you have made the changes. Check the box that
          says "Don't show this window again".

          Luke wrote:
          > Can you open TASK MANGER and check if there is any process/program
          > running continiously? Check on tab PROCESSES. The column CPU will
          > indicate how much load a certain process (program) takes. The SYSTEM
          > IDLE PROCESS is usually the one that takes most of the load. If you
          > see any other process taking up (50+) load without doing anything on
          > your PC, let us know the name(s).
          >
          > What anti-virus / spyware are you using?
          >
          > Luke
          >
          > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Duane Stephenson"
          > <msdee@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I have a Dell Dimension 2400. It it about 18 months old.
          >> I also have a very good anti virus program and a good spy ware
          >> detector. They both run each day and I defragment as often as I
          >>
          > need to.
          >
          >> There are no spy ware and no viruses on my machine. I try to keep
          >> from downloading any and everything in order to keep my machine free
          >> from these things. In spite of all I can do and several people
          >> checking my computer, it is still so slow It's driving me nuts.
          >> Can anyone tell me what I can do to improve the speed??
          >> Thanks!
          >> MsDee
          >>

          > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7). Providing 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 10,000 members Simply Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on the Internet.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Ron
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2007
            What are the "really good" programs that you are using to scan for
            viruses and spyware?

            --Ratamacue

            Duane Stephenson wrote:

            > I have a Dell Dimension 2400. It it about 18 months old.
            > I also have a very good anti virus program and a good spy ware
            > detector. They both run each day and I defragment as often as I need to.
            > There are no spy ware and no viruses on my machine. I try to keep
            > from downloading any and everything in order to keep my machine free
            > from these things. In spite of all I can do and several people
            > checking my computer, it is still so slow It's driving me nuts.
            > Can anyone tell me what I can do to improve the speed??
            > Thanks!
            > MsDee

          • deborah3brock
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2007
              Have you emptied out your temporary internet folders? Have you tried
              doing a defragment ? I didn't read all the replies, sorry if some one
              else suggested this.

              I empty out my temporary Internet folders everyday, and defrag once a
              month. All so I have learned from members in this group, that some
              programs are not compatible with other programs, and there for can
              slooow down the computer and cause problems.

              I all so have a Dell.

              Just a few tips I have learned : ) Good Luck!

              Take Care,

              Deborah Brock