Re: Unmountable boot drive

  • Armando Barreiro
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
      Is the drive detected in the BIOS ok?
      Before you can run any rescue utility the drive must be recognized in
      the BIOS.

      Make sure the data cable is firmly seated, at drive & mobo ends of the
      cable.

      Have you access to a Knoppix Live CD? All you need do is boot from
      the CD and within a minute or so you'll have a full working version of
      Linux.

      "Knowing Knoppix" includes a very useful section on how to use
      Knoppix for Windows disaster recovery.
      http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/knowing-knoppix/index.html
      http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

      To download a Knoppix ISO
      http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

      The "Ultimate Boot CD" is one other tool that you can use, should you
      prefer a windoze environment:
      http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

      It contains drive checking tools, from various manufacturers with
      which you can check the integrity of the drive.

      If I had the drive in my posession, I would try slaving it in a
      working PC and I would try accessing it.

      One other recourse would be "ontrack", lastly. Compare that to your
      choice of HD Mech. It has a free trial.
      http://www.ontrack.com/

      If it is detected, then the chances of it being a hdwe. failure are
      less and the above tools could help. If it is not detected, then only
      a forensic service can recover the data. It can be expens$ive!

      HTH,
      Armando
      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "jim" <realtorjimsimmons@...>
      wrote:

      > I get an "unmountable boot drive" message when I try to start the
      > computer. I booted from a floppy and ran chkdsk /p and fdisk but
      > still no luck. I am going to install a new hard drive I just bought,
      > but I'd like to try to recover some files on the old hard drive so I
      > was looking into using Hard Drive Mechanic
      > (http://www.highergroundsoftware.com/). Has anyone used this or would
      > you recommend something else? thanks!

    • Simplytech
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        if you boot to the recovery console, use the fixboot command. sometimes
        chkdsk is not enough...

        wrote:

        > I get an "unmountable boot drive" message when I try to start the
        > computer. I booted from a floppy and ran chkdsk /p and fdisk but
        > still no luck. I am going to install a new hard drive I just bought,
        > but I'd like to try to recover some files on the old hard drive so I
        > was looking into using Hard Drive Mechanic
        > (http://www.highergroundsoftware.com/). Has anyone used this or would
        > you recommend something else? thanks!

      • Melissa
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2008
          How do I fix this error??? I do not have a Windows XP disk for the
          laptop that this is happening to. I am desparate to get this laptop
          working again, it has last years Turbotax on it.
        • Ardell Faul
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2008
            You do not need the disk for that computer, specifically, to get to a
            repair console. If you have ANY Windows XP Cd, just boot up from it
            and when you get to the first stopping point, choose "R" to go to the
            Repair console. Wait and choose the windows installation it finds by
            typing 1 and pressing enter. When asked for the administrator password,
            just press enter. Now you have a command prompt to try to fix the
            problem. I would first run chkdsk c: /r (Be sure to put a space
            between c: and the /. Let it run and when it is done, type exit, press
            enter and see if it now boots.

            Ardell Faul
            Computer Monitor Service Inc.
            Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair