Re: Using Kubuntu desktop with Ubuntu

  • janetteaj
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
      Thanks so much for your reply. I just downloaded Fire ftp and will try it.
      Much appreciated,
      Janette

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, reply2max <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > hiya,
      > Well if u did download kubuntu desktop package succesfully via
      > synaptic then at the login screen where you type ur user name/password
      > to enter ur desktop , u will see a session tab there clik there to
      > choose from gnome or kde or xfce4 whichever u downloaded and liked.
      > Inregard to ur ftp query , if gftp is not working for you u can
      > download ncftp program , then just open any terminal window and use
      > ncftp or just ftp command to cneect to ftp server and download goodies,
      > you can also use fireFTP a firefox extension to connect to FTP, I'll
      > post its link. You can also use konqueror . Good luck and god bless
      >
      > fireFTP: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/
      > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "janetteaj" <janetteaj@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi
      > > I'm using Ubuntu Linux and I downloaded the Kubuntu desktop through
      > > Synaptic Package manager. I thought I could use either the kde desktop
      > > or the gnome desktop. I seem to have the kde programs listed on the
      > > ubuntu desktop. I'm a little confused I thought I could just choose
      > > the destop rather than use the kde stuff within the gnome desktop.
      > >
      > > Also I desperately need to use an FTP program and can't find one that
      > > works for me. I've downloaded gftp but can't get it to transfer the
      > files.
      > >
      > > Any help appreciated.
      > > Janette

    • janetteaj
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
        Thanks so much for the info.

        I've downloaded fire ftp and love the look of it. I can't seem to FTP
        a webpage to the server with any of the FTP program within Kubuntu or
        Ubuntu. I'm wondering if it because of not having Admin privileges
        because I don't get the option of signing in to the root account.

        I desperately need to update a webpage and definitely do not want to
        resort to Windows just to ftp that, when I enjoy Ubuntu so much.
        Thanks for your help.
        Janette

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, reply2max <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > hiya,
        > Well if u did download kubuntu desktop package succesfully via
        > synaptic then at the login screen where you type ur user name/password
        > to enter ur desktop , u will see a session tab there clik there to
        > choose from gnome or kde or xfce4 whichever u downloaded and liked.
        > Inregard to ur ftp query , if gftp is not working for you u can
        > download ncftp program , then just open any terminal window and use
        > ncftp or just ftp command to cneect to ftp server and download goodies,
        > you can also use fireFTP a firefox extension to connect to FTP, I'll
        > post its link. You can also use konqueror . Good luck and god bless
        >
        > fireFTP: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/
        > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "janetteaj" <janetteaj@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi
        > > I'm using Ubuntu Linux and I downloaded the Kubuntu desktop through
        > > Synaptic Package manager. I thought I could use either the kde desktop
        > > or the gnome desktop. I seem to have the kde programs listed on the
        > > ubuntu desktop. I'm a little confused I thought I could just choose
        > > the destop rather than use the kde stuff within the gnome desktop.
        > >
        > > Also I desperately need to use an FTP program and can't find one that
        > > works for me. I've downloaded gftp but can't get it to transfer the
        > files.
        > >
        > > Any help appreciated.
        > > Janette

      • reply2max
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
          hi,
          Even as a normal user u should be able to access a ftp server ,
          make sure there are no firewalls blocking it and also make sure the
          setting are correct in the prog and ur using the correct port number
          to connect.In fireFTP clik on "create an Account" next to manage
          account to enter the ftp server information that u wana connect to.
          Yes due to security reason , the root login in ubuntu is disabled u
          have to enable it to access the root account.

          If still ur not able to connect due to some reason, try
          this. Open a konsole window, type ftp server-name , it is gonna ask u
          login name/password , Enter the info then use the put command to
          upload the webpage to the ftp-server.

          Command:
          put ur-path/filename.html

          good luck
          <janetteaj@...> wrote:

          > Thanks so much for the info.
          >
          > I've downloaded fire ftp and love the look of it. I can't seem to
          FTP
          > a webpage to the server with any of the FTP program within Kubuntu
          or
          > Ubuntu. I'm wondering if it because of not having Admin privileges
          > because I don't get the option of signing in to the root account.
          >
          > I desperately need to update a webpage and definitely do not want to
          > resort to Windows just to ftp that, when I enjoy Ubuntu so much.
          > Thanks for your help.
          > Janette
          >
          > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, reply2max <no_reply@>
          wrote:

          > > hiya,
          > > Well if u did download kubuntu desktop package succesfully
          via
          > > synaptic then at the login screen where you type ur user
          name/password
          > > to enter ur desktop , u will see a session tab there clik there
          > > choose from gnome or kde or xfce4 whichever u downloaded and
          liked.
          > > Inregard to ur ftp query , if gftp is not working for you u can
          > > download ncftp program , then just open any terminal window and
          use
          > > ncftp or just ftp command to cneect to ftp server and download
          goodies,
          > > you can also use fireFTP a firefox extension to connect to FTP,
          I'll
          > > post its link. You can also use konqueror . Good luck and god
          bless

          > > fireFTP: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/
          > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "janetteaj" <janetteaj@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi
          > > > I'm using Ubuntu Linux and I downloaded the Kubuntu desktop
          through
          > > > Synaptic Package manager. I thought I could use either the kde
          desktop
          > > > or the gnome desktop. I seem to have the kde programs listed on
          the
          > > > ubuntu desktop. I'm a little confused I thought I could just
          choose
          > > > the destop rather than use the kde stuff within the gnome
          desktop.

          > > > Also I desperately need to use an FTP program and can't find
          one that
          > > > works for me. I've downloaded gftp but can't get it to transfer
          the
          > > files.
          > > >
          > > > Any help appreciated.
          > > > Janette

        • janetteaj
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
            Thanks so much for your advice and time.

          • Armando Barreiro
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
              This may come in handy:
              Ten tips for new Ubuntu users
              http://tips.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/08/1651225&from=rss

              Armando
              wrote:

              > Thanks so much for your advice and time.
              > Janette
              >
              > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, reply2max <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > hi,
              > > Even as a normal user u should be able to access a ftp server ,
              > > make sure there are no firewalls blocking it and also make sure the
              > > setting are correct in the prog and ur using the correct port number
              > > to connect.In fireFTP clik on "create an Account" next to manage
              > > account to enter the ftp server information that u wana connect to.
              > > Yes due to security reason , the root login in ubuntu is disabled u
              > > have to enable it to access the root account.
              > >
              > > If still ur not able to connect due to some reason, try
              > > this. Open a konsole window, type ftp server-name , it is gonna ask u
              > > login name/password , Enter the info then use the put command to
              > > upload the webpage to the ftp-server.
              > >
              > > Command:
              > > put ur-path/filename.html
              > >
              > > good luck
              > > .--- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "janetteaj"
              > > <janetteaj@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Thanks so much for the info.
              > > >
              > > > I've downloaded fire ftp and love the look of it. I can't seem to
              > > FTP
              > > > a webpage to the server with any of the FTP program within Kubuntu
              > > or
              > > > Ubuntu. I'm wondering if it because of not having Admin privileges
              > > > because I don't get the option of signing in to the root account.
              > > >
              > > > I desperately need to update a webpage and definitely do not want to
              > > > resort to Windows just to ftp that, when I enjoy Ubuntu so much.
              > > > Thanks for your help.
              > > > Janette
              > > >
              > > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, reply2max <no_reply@>

              > > via
              > > name/password
              > > liked.
              > > use
              > > goodies,
              > > I'll
              > > bless

              > > through
              > > desktop
              > > the
              > > choose
              > > desktop.

              > > one that
              > > the

            • reply2max
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                hi,
                Your welcome, anytime. Hope it helps. good luck and god bless.

                wrote:

                > Thanks so much for your advice and time.
                > Janette
                >
                > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, reply2max <no_reply@>
                wrote:

                > > hi,
                > > Even as a normal user u should be able to access a ftp server
                ,
                > > make sure there are no firewalls blocking it and also make sure
                the
                > > setting are correct in the prog and ur using the correct port
                number
                > > to connect.In fireFTP clik on "create an Account" next to manage
                > > account to enter the ftp server information that u wana connect
                to.
                > > Yes due to security reason , the root login in ubuntu is disabled
                > > have to enable it to access the root account.
                > >
                > > If still ur not able to connect due to some reason,
                try
                > > this. Open a konsole window, type ftp server-name , it is gonna
                ask u
                > > login name/password , Enter the info then use the put command to
                > > upload the webpage to the ftp-server.
                > >
                > > Command:
                > > put ur-path/filename.html
                > >
                > > good luck
                > > .--- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "janetteaj"
                > > <janetteaj@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thanks so much for the info.
                > > >
                > > > I've downloaded fire ftp and love the look of it. I can't seem
                > > FTP
                > > > a webpage to the server with any of the FTP program within
                Kubuntu
                > > or
                > > > Ubuntu. I'm wondering if it because of not having Admin
                privileges
                > > > because I don't get the option of signing in to the root
                account.

                > > > I desperately need to update a webpage and definitely do not
                want to
                > > > resort to Windows just to ftp that, when I enjoy Ubuntu so much.
                > > > Thanks for your help.
                > > > Janette
                > > >
                > > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, reply2max <no_reply@>

                > > via
                > > name/password
                > > liked.
                > > use
                > > goodies,
                FTP,
                > > I'll
                > > bless

                > > through
                > > desktop
                > > the
                > > choose
                > > desktop.

                > > one that
                > > the

              • David Ron
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                  My favorite FTP client in Kubuntu is the konkueror web browser/file
                  manager. Just type the url like this:
                  ftp://username@...

                  It'll ask you for the password and then you'll be browsing the ftp site
                  just like any other folder on your computer. You can edit files as if
                  they are on your computer, move, copy, delete, rename, and you can
                  bookmark locations just like web pages.

                  Konqueror allows you to split the window any number of times vertically
                  and/or horizontally and surf and copy/move files between several
                  different FTP sites and/or your own computer.

                  --TwinkieStix

                  janetteaj wrote:

                  > Thanks so much for the info.
                  >
                  > I've downloaded fire ftp and love the look of it. I can't seem to FTP
                  > a webpage to the server with any of the FTP program within Kubuntu or
                  > Ubuntu. I'm wondering if it because of not having Admin privileges
                  > because I don't get the option of signing in to the root account.
                  >
                  > I desperately need to update a webpage and definitely do not want to
                  > resort to Windows just to ftp that, when I enjoy Ubuntu so much.
                  > Thanks for your help.
                  > Janette
                  >
                  > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>, reply2max <no_reply@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > hiya,
                  > > Well if u did download kubuntu desktop package succesfully via
                  > > synaptic then at the login screen where you type ur user name/password
                  > > to enter ur desktop , u will see a session tab there clik there to
                  > > choose from gnome or kde or xfce4 whichever u downloaded and liked.
                  > > Inregard to ur ftp query , if gftp is not working for you u can
                  > > download ncftp program , then just open any terminal window and use
                  > > ncftp or just ftp command to cneect to ftp server and download goodies,
                  > > you can also use fireFTP a firefox extension to connect to FTP, I'll
                  > > post its link. You can also use konqueror . Good luck and god bless
                  > >
                  > > fireFTP: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/
                  > <https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/>
                  > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>, "janetteaj" <janetteaj@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi
                  > > > I'm using Ubuntu Linux and I downloaded the Kubuntu desktop through
                  > > > Synaptic Package manager. I thought I could use either the kde desktop
                  > > > or the gnome desktop. I seem to have the kde programs listed on the
                  > > > ubuntu desktop. I'm a little confused I thought I could just choose
                  > > > the destop rather than use the kde stuff within the gnome desktop.
                  > > >
                  > > > Also I desperately need to use an FTP program and can't find one that
                  > > > works for me. I've downloaded gftp but can't get it to transfer the
                  > > files.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any help appreciated.
                  > > > Janette

                • janetteaj
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 8, 2006
                    Thank you so much TwinkieStix, I've been trying for weeks to even get
                    a remote view to no avail.

                    That worked well and I can see the remote files. I cannot believe how
                    easy that is, better than all the commercial ftp programs I've ever
                    run on Windows. I love this Operating System. Thank you!!!!!

                    Now if I can get my Samsung SCX 4100 all in one working on Kubuntu
                    I'll never have to use Windows again.
                    Janette

                    --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, David Ron <david.m.ron@...>
                    wrote:

                    > My favorite FTP client in Kubuntu is the konkueror web browser/file
                    > manager. Just type the url like this:
                    > ftp://username@...
                    >
                    > It'll ask you for the password and then you'll be browsing the ftp site
                    > just like any other folder on your computer. You can edit files as if
                    > they are on your computer, move, copy, delete, rename, and you can
                    > bookmark locations just like web pages.
                    >
                    > Konqueror allows you to split the window any number of times vertically
                    > and/or horizontally and surf and copy/move files between several
                    > different FTP sites and/or your own computer.
                    >
                    > --TwinkieStix
                    >

                    > janetteaj wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks so much for the info.
                    > >
                    > > I've downloaded fire ftp and love the look of it. I can't seem to FTP
                    > > a webpage to the server with any of the FTP program within Kubuntu or
                    > > Ubuntu. I'm wondering if it because of not having Admin privileges
                    > > because I don't get the option of signing in to the root account.
                    > >
                    > > I desperately need to update a webpage and definitely do not want to
                    > > resort to Windows just to ftp that, when I enjoy Ubuntu so much.
                    > > Thanks for your help.
                    > > Janette
                    > >
                    > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
                    > > <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>, reply2max <no_reply@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > hiya,
                    > > > Well if u did download kubuntu desktop package succesfully via
                    > > > synaptic then at the login screen where you type ur user
                    name/password
                    > > > to enter ur desktop , u will see a session tab there clik there to
                    > > > choose from gnome or kde or xfce4 whichever u downloaded and liked.
                    > > > Inregard to ur ftp query , if gftp is not working for you u can
                    > > > download ncftp program , then just open any terminal window and use
                    > > > ncftp or just ftp command to cneect to ftp server and download
                    goodies,
                    > > > you can also use fireFTP a firefox extension to connect to FTP, I'll
                    > > > post its link. You can also use konqueror . Good luck and god bless
                    > > >
                    > > > fireFTP: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/
                    > > <https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/>
                    > > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
                    > > <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>, "janetteaj" <janetteaj@>

                    > > > files.

                  • David Ron
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
                      No problem. Konqueror is the killer app of Linux for me. I can get to
                      any file anywhere without worrying about which program to use or how it
                      works with other programs. Just drag and drop.

                      So, when things work in Linux, they are drop-dead super easy. But, when
                      you want to do something that's not officially supported, you'll find
                      yourself needing a computer science degree to get it to work. In other
                      operating systems, unsupported applications simply don't work. In
                      Linux, there's always a way, but it's often really hard. Which leads us
                      to the printer/scanner issue.

                      Your scanner/printer is not supported. But, you can get it to work with
                      a little effort. You can get directions here:
                      http://www.elijahlofgren.com/linux/ubuntu/#scx-4100

                      After that, I doubt that this group will be able to help you unless you
                      happen to find somebody who has that particular printer who happens to
                      use Ubuntu. But, you are more likely to get additional support at the
                      Ubuntu forums. There is already a thread about your machine to get you
                      started:
                      http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-161560.html

                      --TwinkieStix