Re: [Simply Computers] broken links

  • Norm Higgs
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
      You can relocate your My Documents folder to the D drive. I forget the exact
      procedure, but I'm sure someone else can tell you exactly how to do it.

      Norm Higgs
      http://computers.forbiddenjoy.com
      https://www.linkedin.com/e/fpf/4018099
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
        Look here, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

        Jo Ann

        > I'm a DJ who has to upload music to make cd's for clients from my own
        > collection. I only have a 20gig c drive but have an 80 gig d drive.
        > The music uploads to my music on my c drive and when i want to move it
        > to my d drive then open it up to play in musicmatch it says broken
        > link. So how can i move the folders to my d drive without having the
        > problem of broken links?
        > Thank You
        >

        > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • larry k
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
          Thank you Jo Ann that was a very specific site you linked to me to. I will try the transfer to c drive to d drive to make room for myself. Thanks

          Jo Ann Weaver <bookworm54@...> wrote: Look here, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

          Jo Ann

          > I'm a DJ who has to upload music to make cd's for clients from my own
          > collection. I only have a 20gig c drive but have an 80 gig d drive.
          > The music uploads to my music on my c drive and when i want to move it
          > to my d drive then open it up to play in musicmatch it says broken
          > link. So how can i move the folders to my d drive without having the
          > problem of broken links?
          > Thank You
          >

          > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/

          ---------------------------------

        • larry k
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
            I have a question for you. What if i only want to move my music from my documents from the c drive to the d drive and keep everyting else in the my documents in the c drive, i don't see a target or where to put the path i want that folder and only that folder to go. Can you tell me how to just move one folder and not the entire my documents folder. Thank you

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
              Try opening the My Documents folder, then right click the my music folder,
              (don't open it) and cut and paste it to your d drive.

              Jo Ann

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
                AHA!!!, that was the first thing i tried to do. I can open a file and it plays in Musicmatch when i move it to my d drive ,although when i keep it there and then try to play it again it won't play and says broken link. I have over 4,000 song titles in folders due to my business,which i keep in Musicmatch,so i tried that way before i posted to the group.

                Jo Ann Weaver <bookworm54@...> wrote: Try opening the My Documents folder, then right click the my music folder,
                (don't open it) and cut and paste it to your d drive.

                Jo Ann

                > I'm a DJ who has to upload music to make cd's for clients from my own
                > collection. I only have a 20gig c drive but have an 80 gig d drive.
                > The music uploads to my music on my c drive and when i want to move it
                > to my d drive then open it up to play in musicmatch it says broken
                > link. So how can i move the folders to my d drive without having the
                > problem of broken links?
                > Thank You
                >

                > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/

                ---------------------------------

                Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/

                Computer technical support Technical support Computer security Computer training Free computer technical support Technical support services

                ---------------------------------

              • ordinaryfoolisnj
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
                  Hi Larry,

                  I also have MMB. I hope I'm understanding your problem correctly.

                  I just tested both moving and copying individual music folders from
                  MyDocs in C drive to a folder on my D drive. Note, I did not attempt
                  to copy my entire MyMusic folder (first its like 20 gig -- and I don't
                  want it moved -- I just tested folders that contained multiple music
                  files -- which you inquired about).

                  I simply went in explorer to the MyDocs/My Music/The Folder -- choose
                  the folder -- then select all under edit -- then choose either "copy
                  to folder" or "move to folder" options (I tried both for fun).

                  Then I chose the location -- in my case, a document on my desktop --
                  and in another experiement, my docs on my d drive, in another I made a
                  new folder to send it too in my doc on d drive.

                  They copied or moved. Then I opened them to see if they'd play from D
                  drive in MMB, they played fine in MMB. In fact, I move music folders
                  around on my sys all of the time (because of my small HDs) without
                  issue with them playing in MMB.

                  Also, you can change the default path of where you wish your music to
                  be stored in MMB. I used to have my going to somewhere other than my
                  C drive.

                  Now, I must admit that I'm using an older version of MMB (if it ain't
                  broken, and there's no security hole, and I've no need for new stuff,
                  I prefer to keep what I know works). But, I've been changing the
                  default path for years and years with MMB (which I've had for 7
                  years), so I can't figure the program has changed newer versions to
                  work that differently.

                  --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, larry k <sweetlarryk@...> w
                  rote:

                  > AHA!!!, that was the first thing i tried to do. I can open a file
                  and it plays in Musicmatch when i move it to my d drive ,although when
                  i keep it there and then try to play it again it won't play and says
                  broken link. I have over 4,000 song titles in folders due to my
                  business,which i keep in Musicmatch,so i tried that way before i
                  posted to the group.

                  > Jo Ann Weaver <bookworm54@...> wrote: Try opening the My Documents
                  folder, then right click the my music folder,
                  > (don't open it) and cut and paste it to your d drive.
                  >
                  > Jo Ann

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------

                  > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/

                  > Computer technical support Technical support Computer
                  security Computer training Free computer technical support
                  Technical support services

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------

                • Norm Higgs
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Thanks Jo Ann. I've been sick with scarlet fever for most of the week and I
                    just wasn't up to looking for the directions. My brain is toasted right now.

                    > You can relocate your My Documents folder to the D drive. I forget the
                    exact
                    > procedure, but I'm sure someone else can tell you exactly how to do it.
                    >
                    > Norm Higgs
                    > http://computers.forbiddenjoy.com
                    > https://www.linkedin.com/e/fpf/4018099

                  • John Peters
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
                      Larry, I'm not a tech, but I have a version of MMatch on my computer, though
                      I have barely used it. These are just two suggestions and I apologize if
                      you've already tried them.
                      I moved the folder to the new location, opened Mmatch and right clicked on
                      the files in the folder and hit "repair broken links". (You could also go
                      options/music library click repair broken links.) A window opened; I
                      navigated to the new location and it seems to have worked.
                      Something which may work, but I haven't tried is to create a new library:
                      options/music library/new music library then navigate to the new location,
                      create a new library folder and move the tracks there. I haven't attempted
                      this and offer it only as a possibility.
                      My understanding is that it's not the movement of music files that is the
                      question here, but rather the way of getting Mmatch to see them after they
                      have been moved. These are two suggestions for you.
                      I hope one works.
                      John.