Re: Internet connection died on one computer only

  • Armando Barreiro
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
      Winsockfix:

      Armando
      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <starryskyn@...> wrote:

      > About a month ago I walked away from my laptop for twenty minutes and
      > in that time my Internet connection vanished. I have not gotten it
      > back after twenty-five hours of work. Symptoms are "Cannot find
      > server" displayed on IE and Firefox. Wired or wireless LAN
      > connection either thru router or wireless bridges or directly to
      > cable modem are not able to get to Internet. Can ping the IP address
      > of router with no loss. Can see shared directories and files on
      > another computer on LAN.
      > Win98 on Dell laptop, no virus, no spyware, no adware found currently.
      > Wired Linksys USB ethernet adapter 10/100TX
      > Wired PCMCIA Cardbus ethernet adapter direct to cable modem
      > Wireless USB Netgear adapter WG111
      > Wireless USB Netgear adapter MA101
      > Wireless PCMCIA Cardbus Netgear card MA521
      > Wired PCMCIA 16-bit Trendnet ethernet card
      > Wireless Airlink PCMCIA Cardbus 802.11g card
      > Netgear WGR614v3 Wireless router
      > Netgear WG602v2 Access Point as bridge
      > Netgear WG602v3 Access Point as bridge
      > Toshiba Cable Modem
      > All items install successfully to Win98 Dell laptop and to desktops
      > and a Gateway laptop, all running ME or XP, and work on others, but
      > not the Dell laptop for connection to Internet, but fine for LAN.
      > All settings for Computer Name, Workgroup name, IPX/SPX, NetBEUI,
      > TCP/IP--Gateway IP, WINS resolution, DHCP, DNS, have been checked,
      > rechecked, reset to variety of alternatives, reset again, removed,
      > rebooted endlessly for weeks now. The Dell laptop has had Win98
      > files refreshed from original Dell hard drive disk restore set, Win98
      > reinstalled twice as a repair at same directory, and disk scanned for
      > errors. Nothing was found or improved upon. All installed
      > applications are fine. No missing or unusual files or symptoms other
      > than a complete inability to connect to the Internet with this one
      > computer. It had been connecting fine for years with the same
      > equipment and suddenly stopped.
      > Short of wiping the hard drive, repartitioning and reformatting, and
      > reinstalling 7GB of program files (about 50 applications), can anyone
      > offer any suggestions?
      > Thanks, Gregg

    • Gregg
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
        Winsockfix did not make a difference on DNS error. Also checked for
        bad file of winsock32.dll and it was fine.
        Can ping websites on Internet, and can ping the other good computer,
        but the good computer cannot ping it.
        Any other suggestions? Thanks.

        --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Armando Barreiro"
        <armandobarreiro@...> wrote:

        > Winsockfix:
        > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html
        >
        > Armando
        > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <starryskyn@>
        wrote:

        > > About a month ago I walked away from my laptop for twenty minutes
        and
        > > in that time my Internet connection vanished. I have not gotten
        it
        > > back after twenty-five hours of work. Symptoms are "Cannot find
        > > server" displayed on IE and Firefox. Wired or wireless LAN
        > > connection either thru router or wireless bridges or directly to
        > > cable modem are not able to get to Internet. Can ping the IP
        address
        > > of router with no loss. Can see shared directories and files on
        > > another computer on LAN.
        > > Win98 on Dell laptop, no virus, no spyware, no adware found
        currently.
        > > Wired Linksys USB ethernet adapter 10/100TX
        > > Wired PCMCIA Cardbus ethernet adapter direct to cable modem
        > > Wireless USB Netgear adapter WG111
        > > Wireless USB Netgear adapter MA101
        > > Wireless PCMCIA Cardbus Netgear card MA521
        > > Wired PCMCIA 16-bit Trendnet ethernet card
        > > Wireless Airlink PCMCIA Cardbus 802.11g card
        > > Netgear WGR614v3 Wireless router
        > > Netgear WG602v2 Access Point as bridge
        > > Netgear WG602v3 Access Point as bridge
        > > Toshiba Cable Modem
        > > All items install successfully to Win98 Dell laptop and to
        desktops
        > > and a Gateway laptop, all running ME or XP, and work on others,
        but
        > > not the Dell laptop for connection to Internet, but fine for LAN.
        > > All settings for Computer Name, Workgroup name, IPX/SPX, NetBEUI,
        > > TCP/IP--Gateway IP, WINS resolution, DHCP, DNS, have been
        checked,
        > > rechecked, reset to variety of alternatives, reset again,
        removed,
        > > rebooted endlessly for weeks now. The Dell laptop has had Win98
        > > files refreshed from original Dell hard drive disk restore set,
        Win98
        > > reinstalled twice as a repair at same directory, and disk scanned
        for
        > > errors. Nothing was found or improved upon. All installed
        > > applications are fine. No missing or unusual files or symptoms
        other
        > > than a complete inability to connect to the Internet with this
        one
        > > computer. It had been connecting fine for years with the same
        > > equipment and suddenly stopped.
        > > Short of wiping the hard drive, repartitioning and reformatting,
        and
        > > reinstalling 7GB of program files (about 50 applications), can
        anyone
        > > offer any suggestions?
        > > Thanks, Gregg

      • Armando Barreiro
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
          Take a look at this:
          <http://experts.about.com/q/General-Networking-Lan-1049/Lost-internet-access-mixed.htm>
          HTH,
> [...]
          > removed,
          > > > rebooted endlessly for weeks now. The Dell laptop has had Win98
          > > > files refreshed from original Dell hard drive disk restore set,
          > Win98
          > > > reinstalled twice as a repair at same directory, and disk scanned
          > for
          > > > errors. Nothing was found or improved upon. All installed
          > > > applications are fine. No missing or unusual files or symptoms
          > other
          > > > than a complete inability to connect to the Internet with this
          > one
          > > > computer. It had been connecting fine for years with the same
          > > > equipment and suddenly stopped.
          > > > Short of wiping the hard drive, repartitioning and reformatting,
          > and
          > > > reinstalling 7GB of program files (about 50 applications), can

        • jbaker421
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
            You are a persistent cuss. :) Nice job. With all that you've said, I
            still wouldn't rule out malware, but I'd check these things:

            1. You said you can ping your router, so you know that IP address.
            Go to a computer that has internet access, click Start and then Run,
            and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes but with the space
            before the / and see what your default gateway is. That's your
            router's IP.

            2. While there, see what the dns server's and the dhcp server's IP's
            are. They should be the same. (the router's IP.)

            IP's. I disagree with the article below in that the router should be
            the dns address because it's the gateway to the internet, therefore
            the gateway to the ISP, and the NAT in the router will get you to
            dns. I expect you to find that this is true of the computers that
            have internet access.

            4. It appears that all of your hardware works and that this is a
            software issue, which you have obviously figured out. Most likely a
            TCP/IP issue. Since you've rebuilt that, it's pretty much down to a
            suspicion of dns.

            5. After proving, as above, that you have your router as your
            gateway and dns, see if you can ping 66.94.230.49 and if you can,
            then you know you have a dns issue.

            6. If you have to set your dns manually in TCP/IP properties for
            now, make it the router.

            without the quotes and with the space before the / and hit enter.
            That will erase the laptop's dns resolver cache in case it's been
            hijacked.

            8. since you have the problem with IE and Firefox, but not on the
            lan, you know that this is a browser issue, again most likely right
            in tcp/ip dns somehow.

            9. You don't need and shouldn't have IPX/SPX. That's ancient
            proprietary stuff never used by windows and could conflict.

            10. your dhcp server needs to be the router also.

            11. All settings in tcp/ip should be on auto obtain since the router
            has a mini dhcp server for the whole lan.

            12. I guess you have already tried swapping the laptop to a
            different port on the router, trading it with a computer that works
            and rebooting the Ips in case there's a bad port? Reboot IPs:
            ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew.

            How'd you do? No good? Malware?

            <armandobarreiro@...> wrote:

            > Take a look at this:
            > <http://experts.about.com/q/General-Networking-Lan-1049/Lost-
            internet-access-mixed.htm>
            > HTH,
            > Armando
            > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <starryskyn@>
            wrote:

            > > Winsockfix did not make a difference on DNS error. Also checked
            for
            > > bad file of winsock32.dll and it was fine.
            > > Can ping websites on Internet, and can ping the other good
            computer,
            > > but the good computer cannot ping it.
            > > Any other suggestions? Thanks.
            > >
            > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Armando Barreiro"
            > > <armandobarreiro@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Winsockfix:
            > > > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html
            > > >
            > > > Armando
            > > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <starryskyn@>

            > > and
            > > it
            IP
            > > address
            > > currently.
            > > desktops
            > > but
            LAN.
            NetBEUI,
            > > checked,
            > > removed,
            Win98
            > > Win98
            > > for
            > > other
            > > one
            > > and
            > > anyone

          • janazartaylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
              There are two other items I'd check before I blew the thing away:
              1. In IE under Internet Options go to Connections and Click on the
              LAN Settings button. Make sure there are no check marks for any
              Proxy servers. The bottom pane in particular could be problematic.
              2. Look at any management tools installed with your wireless device
              and ensure there's nothing there that uses profiles or limits
              access. Sometimes these can be in play even when wireless is
              disabled.

              wrote:

              > About a month ago I walked away from my laptop for twenty minutes
              and
              > in that time my Internet connection vanished. I have not gotten
              it
              > back after twenty-five hours of work. Symptoms are "Cannot find
              > server" displayed on IE and Firefox. Wired or wireless LAN
              > connection either thru router or wireless bridges or directly to
              > cable modem are not able to get to Internet. Can ping the IP
              address
              > of router with no loss. Can see shared directories and files on
              > another computer on LAN.
              > Win98 on Dell laptop, no virus, no spyware, no adware found
              currently.
              > Wired Linksys USB ethernet adapter 10/100TX
              > Wired PCMCIA Cardbus ethernet adapter direct to cable modem
              > Wireless USB Netgear adapter WG111
              > Wireless USB Netgear adapter MA101
              > Wireless PCMCIA Cardbus Netgear card MA521
              > Wired PCMCIA 16-bit Trendnet ethernet card
              > Wireless Airlink PCMCIA Cardbus 802.11g card
              > Netgear WGR614v3 Wireless router
              > Netgear WG602v2 Access Point as bridge
              > Netgear WG602v3 Access Point as bridge
              > Toshiba Cable Modem
              > All items install successfully to Win98 Dell laptop and to
              desktops
              > and a Gateway laptop, all running ME or XP, and work on others,
              but
              > not the Dell laptop for connection to Internet, but fine for LAN.
              > All settings for Computer Name, Workgroup name, IPX/SPX, NetBEUI,
              > TCP/IP--Gateway IP, WINS resolution, DHCP, DNS, have been checked,
              > rechecked, reset to variety of alternatives, reset again, removed,
              > rebooted endlessly for weeks now. The Dell laptop has had Win98
              > files refreshed from original Dell hard drive disk restore set,
              Win98
              > reinstalled twice as a repair at same directory, and disk scanned
              for
              > errors. Nothing was found or improved upon. All installed
              > applications are fine. No missing or unusual files or symptoms
              other
              > than a complete inability to connect to the Internet with this one
              > computer. It had been connecting fine for years with the same
              > equipment and suddenly stopped.
              > Short of wiping the hard drive, repartitioning and reformatting,
              and
              > reinstalling 7GB of program files (about 50 applications), can
              anyone
              > offer any suggestions?
              > Thanks, Gregg

            • LUIS
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
                Hi,Have you or anyone else run any scans(adware,antivirus)?Have you tried IE Fix?I had similar problem on one computer and IE Fix worked.Certain files get either corrupted or deleted when running these programs and prevent internet access.Worth a try,I guess.Thanks for listening,Louie

                wrote:

                > About a month ago I walked away from my laptop for twenty minutes
                and
                > in that time my Internet connection vanished. I have not gotten
                it
                > back after twenty-five hours of work. Symptoms are "Cannot find
                > server" displayed on IE and Firefox. Wired or wireless LAN
                > connection either thru router or wireless bridges or directly to
                > cable modem are not able to get to Internet. can
                anyone
                > offer any suggestions?
                > Thanks, Gregg

                Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2/

                Computer technical support Technical support Computer security Computer training Free computer technical support Technical support services

                ---------------------------------

              • Ace Hung
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Hi Luis, where do I get IE Fix?

                  Hung

                  LUIS wrote:
                  > Hi,Have you or anyone else run any scans(adware,antivirus)?Have you tried IE Fix?I had similar problem on one computer and IE Fix worked.Certain files get either corrupted or deleted when running these programs and prevent internet access.Worth a try,I guess.Thanks for listening,Louie
                  >
                  > janazartaylor <ctaylor@...> wrote:
                  > There are two other items I'd check before I blew the thing away:
                  > 1. In IE under Internet Options go to Connections and Click on the
                  > LAN Settings button. Make sure there are no check marks for any
                  > Proxy servers. The bottom pane in particular could be problematic.
                  > 2. Look at any management tools installed with your wireless device
                  > and ensure there's nothing there that uses profiles or limits
                  > access. Sometimes these can be in play even when wireless is
                  > disabled.
                  >

                  > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <starryskyn@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> About a month ago I walked away from my laptop for twenty minutes
                  >>
                  > and
                  >
                  >> in that time my Internet connection vanished. I have not gotten
                  >>
                  > it
                  >
                  >> back after twenty-five hours of work. Symptoms are "Cannot find
                  >> server" displayed on IE and Firefox. Wired or wireless LAN
                  >> connection either thru router or wireless bridges or directly to
                  >> cable modem are not able to get to Internet. can
                  >>
                  > anyone
                  >
                  >> offer any suggestions?
                  >> Thanks, Gregg

                • LUIS