SimplePie 1.2 Released!

  • Geoffrey Sneddon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2009
      [1]SimplePie 1.2 is now available. This release adds a few features
      that have been requested often, especially caching in MySQL (instead
      of on the filesystem) and the ability to autodetect more than one
      feed. Furthermore, a large number of bugs have been fixed, a mixture
      of low-priority bugs found throughout 1.1's release-cycle, and a few
      larger bugs found after 1.1.3's release.

      However, it removes support for hosts that were affected by the
      libxml2 issue in SimplePie 1.1.1 and below that run PHP versions prior
      to 5.1.0 (this is as we have a new workaround, which does not subtly
      change the feed). As a result, any host with a version of libxml2 of
      2.7.0 or above with less than PHP 5.1.0 will be broken by this release
      (however, I expect this accounts for around zero hosts, as I expect
      those with an up-to-date libxml2 release will equally have an up-to-
      date PHP release). This leaves our support at better than SimplePie
      1.1.1, and (theoretically, at least) worse than 1.1.2 and 1.1.3.
      Needless to say, this release is API-compatible with previous 1.x
      releases, so it should be as simple as a drop-in replacement. Feel
      free to check out the [2]release notes for more details.

      The intention after 1.2's release is to move almost all development
      work to SimplePie 2 (an announcement concerning that is forthcoming),
      and as such, lower-priority bug fixes will be accepted into future
      1.2.x releases. However, as is the final non-bugfix release of
      SimplePie 1, regressions are unacceptable, so all patches will have be
      reviewed by at least one release manager (as of writing, myself and
      Ryan Parman) and one developer (as of writing, the two RMs and Ryan
      McCue). One person cannot fulfil both roles for one patch.

      Finally, as has been previously announced, SimplePie 2 will require
      (some as-of-yet undecided version of) PHP 5, so SimplePie 1.2 forms
      the final feature-release with support for PHP 4. PHP 4, has, however,
      been unsupported since 2007, so please encourage your host to upgrade
      (likewise, PHP 5 versions prior to PHP 5.2.10 are unsupported)!